Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Suspension Tweaks need your help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Suspension Tweaks need your help.

II need some help making this thing crawl better. It has some TT that I want to eliminate so I can at least try running it droop. I need some input on where I should move things around to make it more capable. Thanks for the help.
CruisinMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Suspension Tweaks need your help.

So, it is leaning to the driver rear? Obviously, you have added some preload to the driver rear shock, have you tried thicker oil in that shock as well?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
So, it is leaning to the driver rear? Obviously, you have added some preload to the driver rear shock, have you tried thicker oil in that shock as well?
Yeah it leans to the drivers rear.

I'm looking for more of a permanent solution than just different shock oil, I'd like them to all be the same. that way I get the same flex all the way around. Is there any way I can change my link geometry to combat the TT?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

couple things i would try. the rear upper links. you have them mounted in front of the rear plate. i would extend these links to the rear plate, mount them to the outside holes in the plate (the larger ones) and mount them on top of the plate. may need a small spacer between the links and plate. try to get the rear uppers to be level to the ground from the rear axle to the chassis. this helped my ax10 out alot. also not sure if you can but flipping the skid around 180* to get the motor over on the right side can help. also you can look at cutting the skid out and mounting the lower suspension links inboard of the chassis like we do on the stock ax10 skid,
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
couple things i would try. the rear upper links. you have them mounted in front of the rear plate. i would extend these links to the rear plate, mount them to the outside holes in the plate (the larger ones) and mount them on top of the plate. may need a small spacer between the links and plate. try to get the rear uppers to be level to the ground from the rear axle to the chassis. this helped my ax10 out alot. also not sure if you can but flipping the skid around 180* to get the motor over on the right side can help. also you can look at cutting the skid out and mounting the lower suspension links inboard of the chassis like we do on the stock ax10 skid,
Awesome I'll try to move the uppers and inboard the lowers this weekend. Are my shocks ok, or do they need to be moved as well?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

To reduce torque twist, spread and raise the rear upper links. Look at the mount i made. It works good.
masonis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would also recomend spreading the front uppers at the axle a little. The rear need to be spread to be almost straight back with the chassis. This reduces torque twist. Remember, look at mine, mine had tons of torque twist then i did this and there is none now. Also, to get more articulation. Move your shocks to the farthest hole back. That lays them down more and gives more articulation.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonis1 View Post
I would also recomend spreading the front uppers at the axle a little. The rear need to be spread to be almost straight back with the chassis. This reduces torque twist. Remember, look at mine, mine had tons of torque twist then i did this and there is none now. Also, to get more articulation. Move your shocks to the farthest hole back. That lays them down more and gives more articulation.
I should be able to mount the rear uppers right to the servo plate I just need to reverse it and add a small spacer. Should I move the shocks to the outside then too?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMT View Post
I'm looking for more of a permanent solution than just different shock oil, I'd like them to all be the same. that way I get the same flex all the way around. Is there any way I can change my link geometry to combat the TT?
There is no absolute solution for torque twist on a shafty....it will be there no matter what you do. There are things you can do to help minimize TT.

1) over drive the front diff gears (or under drive the rear)
2) preload one rear shock and add stiffer oil (different oil will not limit your flex at all)
3) adjust suspension geometry differently from side to side (however, this will change squat numbers)

All of these things you can do will have positive and negative effects on your trucks. Try them and see what works best...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
There is no absolute solution for torque twist on a shafty....it will be there no matter what you do. There are things you can do to help minimize TT.

2) preload one rear shock and add stiffer oil (different oil will not limit your flex at all)
3) adjust suspension geometry differently from side to side (however, this will change squat numbers)

All of these things you can do will have positive and negative effects on your trucks. Try them and see what works best...
Ok I think I'm running 35wt all around It's been months so I'm not really sure. I think the highest I have is 55wt. I'll move my links around and get rid of the battery tray and see how it does. Then I'll try the shock treatment.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

as suggested i flipped and mirrored my transmission so the motor sits on the passenger side facing the front( spur gear facing rear of truck) helped alot.
rebel35747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Lunch break wrenching gotta love it. Moved my rear lowers back some. I need some more long screws so I can add spacers. It binds right now with the short screws. I removed the batt tray. Once I get some longer screws I can put my shocks on the outside and I will be able to use the outter most holes on the rear servo mount to place the uppers. I know my spacers are kind of ghetto but it works.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Not to high jack this, but say you added preload to rear left shock to keep the front right somewhat down from lifting from TT on a vertical approach. Does this effect side hilling from the pre load in the rear?
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowninshield3 View Post
Not to high jack this, but say you added preload to rear left shock to keep the front right somewhat down from lifting from TT on a vertical approach. Does this effect side hilling from the pre load in the rear?
Hey, put the top of the shocks in the innermost hole in the chassis and for the rear links, try to even get them farther apart. My tt was almost so bad it would be on 3 wheels when i took off now i dont notice any at all because i seperated the links.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

thats not ghetto spacers, just call them small weights! lol
rebel35747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. I'll switch it around.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you'd need to flip your rear lockout setup to clear the shocks if outboarded. But it'd be worth it, cause you'll add a ton of stability and torque twist resistance by doing so, at the cost of reduced flex. Stabilty>Flex

Lamo pic, but you can at least see how far apart the shocks are spread. They barely tuck under the narrow C-10 body and barely clear the tires at full flex.

If you can mount the lower links inside the chassis plates that will help too.

Can't tell if you've got spacers in there, but widening the frame end of the upper links also added much in the way of sidehilling and reducing TT on my AX-10.

If you want to get crafty drill some new holes for the upper links further in and down a smidge to run longer upper links.

Nother lamo pic, but you can see the new upper links holes in this pic. (but this is an older pic so you can't see the outboarded shocks)

And if you made a plate and zippy-tied it to the front upper links you could move the battery back and down a little to help balance it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Do I need to worry about my pinion angle? I got the shocks out boarded and the top links are spaces and in the outer holes now.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMT View Post
Do I need to worry about my pinion angle? I got the shocks out boarded and the top links are spaces and in the outer holes now.
Yes you should worry about it. Make or buy longer links to get it rocked back up where it needs to be.

Also, stock MaxStones have buttloads of articulation, reducing that by probably half will help things too.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

If you can mount an Axial scx10 skid, that will allow your lower links to come in.

I don't run a shafty but the guys here run em low. I would drop it a bit. More in front then rear. And get that body down. If you roll over and it turtle it's too high.

Droop setup. I tried this but it works against you side hilling. The chassis will roll out making your truck less stable. Ultimately it comes down to your driving style. There are some great ideas here. You just have to try one and drive it then do one more.
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspension Tweaks need your help. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cantilever tweaks Bok Tamiya CR-01 14 06-18-2012 06:56 PM
Suspension tweaks Range Rover General Crawlers 7 01-18-2007 01:16 AM