Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HOW TO: Get more steering, and a wider track width from your AX10 based truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HOW TO: Get more steering, and a wider track width from your AX10 based truck

Wanted to post up for all those wanting more steering on a budget. This is fairly simple way to put XR10 universal shafts into your AX10 axles, and get the benefits of the 8* kingpins and adjustable caster.

First you will need these CreationFab Delrin Tubes:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...x10-tubes.html

On to the HOW TO:

A local guy was nice enough to lend me his sportsman truck to test these tubes on, and do an install to post pics for an instructional post. Time was limited, so you don't get any fancy pics, but some on my dinner table pics

I would like to note that I put about an hour on the truck and gave it a really good beating. None of the screws came lose. I am using plastic knuckles and chubs as well as a piano wire tie rod. So there is a little flex in the steering, but I don't think that effected weather or not the hardware kept the tubes secured.

The truck started with stock dog bones. He has struggled with turning in our local novice class. So I offered him some free and/or cheap parts in exchange.

These are the parts and tools required to do this procedure. I forgot to picture my fancy hi-tech vice grips.

Parts:
-Axial XR10 universals(Part # AXI30563)
-Knuckles and Chubs of your choice. I HIGHLY recommend Vanquish chubs and Vanquish Wraith knuckles
-CreationFab Delrin tubes
-New tie rod and drag link
-x8 3x6 button head screws to mount tubes firmly into housing

Tools/Other:
-Drill
-#40 bit
-Something to cut the stock tabs off(I used my band saw and bench sander) Dremmel or xacto knife will work too
-Common hand tools to dis-assemble your truck
-Something to measure the angle of your caster. Non-matched caster might result in goofy steering. I used the angle finder pictured
-Vice grip pliers or something to clamp the 2 halves of the housing together.
-RED LOCKTITE

First thing I did was take out the front axle. Then I took off the stock knuckles, chubs, and axle shafts. Once that was done, I cut off the stock chub mounting tab FLUSH at the edge of larger part of the housing as pictured below. I rough cut it on my band saw, then sanded it flush on my bench sander.

Now, I didn't take apart the 2 halves, or take out the ring and pinion because I didn't feel it necessary. Although you will get plastic shavings in there, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it all apart and clean out all the crap before the final re-assembly.

Now, I mounted the chubs onto the tubes.

With the tubes and chubs mated, and the axle housing trimmed, it was time to slide the tube into the housing. I slid it in as far as it could go. It took me a while to figure out a good way to measure caster OFF the truck. But I figured out that the 3 mounting pegs for the servo were all level. So I flipped it upside down, and then measured the caster that way with my angle finder. Once it was set I clamped the housing to the tube so it wouldn't move on me while drilling the holes for the hardware.

Started with drilling and installing the 2 inner most front screws as seen in the 3rd pic down. Then I drilled and installed the inner 2 screws on the back half of the housing as seen in the 4th pic down. With those both firmly secured, clamped the ends of the housing. Then I drilled out the tube where the 2 screws on the top go in for option parts as seen in the 5th pic. I did this procedure last because I didn't want to risk the drill bit making the caster move while drilling the pilot holes.

PLEASE NOTE:

Do not tap the holes. Running the screws directly into the plastic ensures a tighter fit. Also, use a generous amount of Red Locktite. Let that sit overnight for maximum hold.

This is what you end up with.

New drag link and tie rod made up. Steering as you can see is respectable for a sportsman. I used 2 stock XR arms for the steering arms because they are 0 ackerman angle, and were accessible.

Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: HOW TO: Get more steering, and a wider track width from your AX10 based truck

Awesome! Thanks for the write up.
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HOW TO: Get more steering, and a wider track width from your AX10 based truck

Nice write-up.

If you want to leave the axle assembled, but still clean inside, I would roll up a couple balls of papertowel (~3/8 to 1/2" diameter).
Then shove the balls inside the axle tube below where you're cutting.
Once everything is cleaned up, just grab the balls (needle nose pliers can help here) and pull them out. All the crud should come out with them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Very nice thanks for the write up.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Nice write-up.

If you want to leave the axle assembled, but still clean inside, I would roll up a couple balls of papertowel (~3/8 to 1/2" diameter).
Then shove the balls inside the axle tube below where you're cutting.
Once everything is cleaned up, just grab the balls (needle nose pliers can help here) and pull them out. All the crud should come out with them.
Yeah you could. But there is still crap when you drill the holes for the hardware.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I see that there are splined and unsplined tubes available.
Pros and cons?
Hounddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddad View Post
I see that there are splined and unsplined tubes available.
Pros and cons?
I recommend the splined for the fronts to help prevent unwanted caster changes (consider the fact that the XR chub crew holes are actually slots)

And go with the unsplined for the rear as it's unlikely that the clock angle will change, and if they did, it wouldn't affect any geometry.

And genius way to ensure equal clocking Chris.

Last edited by TSK; 04-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I recommend the splined for the fronts to help prevent unwanted caster changes (consider the fact that the XR chub crew holes are actually slots)

And go with the unsplined for the rear as it's unlikely that the clock angle will change, and if they did, it wouldn't affect any geometry.

x2. You don't want your front chubs to lose their position. I turned down the ends on my old berg, and adapted in universals. The chubs always moved. Even with a 3rd hole drilled into the chub to hold it. I had to drill a 4th and tap it and the tube to get the caster to stay. It still would move sometimes. Although that truck had way more power than it should have
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

For those that ordered on batch 3, I am almost done with them. Should be done tonight.

I will probably be offering them for order directly off my site soon. Just didn't put them up due to the time it takes to make these, I didn't want to over sell them and have no time to make em.

More info can be found below. I will be also offering a couple other styles too. So keep an eye out

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...x10-tubes.html
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Does it give you a little more track width doing this mod, or is it the same as stock?
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
RCC Addict

You end up with a wider track width, it's the xr mod but with delrin tubes from chris instead of extended beef tubes.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote

HOW TO: Get more steering, and a wider track width from your AX10 based truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
track width for koh/class3 truck? Erin General Scale Talk 2 04-09-2011 05:30 PM
wheels for wider track width? Rockfrog Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 04-13-2010 05:39 PM
Track width, vanquish rims what width and hbs? Kraqa RC4WD Bully 10 01-14-2010 08:50 PM
Whats your 2.2 comp truck track width ? Bottoms Up EnRoute Berg 18 02-21-2009 11:00 AM
Narrower or Wider track width for 2.2 comp rigs? bi_eep General Crawlers 10 02-15-2008 11:56 AM