Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: ***Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky gear oil***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default ***Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky gear oil***

Something me and a couple local guys have been testing for a while, we've had nothing but good luck with, no broken parts and super quiet gearboxes.

I'm not going to try to impress anyone with big words or false claims. This stuff just plain works, that's it. It's a mixture of a few different oils and additives I feel are needed to provide a super slick grease thick enough to stay where it's needed, yet thin enough lubricate and keep the gears happy.

Testing:

I've put nearly 50 packs through my XR10 (box stock, besides a bushing kit) with zero failure.

Roughly the same amount of run time in my sons XR10 (box stock, besides a bushing kit) with zero failure. That's impressive to me because he's got a heavier trigger finger than Dad does.

Some decent run time in a Berg, with zero issues

Wondering what it would do in extreme heat.... Figured using it as a cutting oil on my lathe at work would produce WAY more heat than these little cars will ever do. So, I chucked up on a piece of 4" 316 stainless. Turning at 800 RPM'S taking .050" cuts. It did smoke some, not as much as I figured. When it gets hot, it gets stickier than it is at room temp. A bonus, if you get it hot enough, it smells like pancakes. NO, there's no maple syrup in it.

Wondering what it would do in extreme cold.... Coldest thing I have available is a deep freezer that I put beef in. I placed a bottle in the deep freezer next to a side of rock solid beef for 3 days. The viscosity did get thicker. Zero signs of freezing or crystallizing at all. It warmed up quickly to room temperature and returned to it's normal viscosity.

Right now all we have are 2 ounce squeeze bottles. We are going to offer them for $16 shipped anywhere in the U.S.A.

I've already got a couple vendors interested in carrying this in their store, so it should be available elsewhere. I'll let them make the announcement when they are ready.

The squeeze bottles we have, they do have a tiny hole in the end. It's tough to get it to squeeze out. I know everyone prefers different, I ran a 3mm drill through the tip of my bottles to make it easier to come out. The option is there to make applying it easier for you. In an XR10, Berg, AX10 tranny or most other applications, I recommend 4-5 drops, roughly 1/4" in size per gear, that's it.

Tomorrow I will take the covers off my XR gear boxes and take some pictures of how clean the gear box is and how the gears still have a thin coating on them.

If anyone is interested, please PM me for pay pal info

Thanks for looking.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ***Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky gear oil***

Sweet! I'm excited to try the Black-N-Tacky!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Sweet! I'm excited to try the Black-N-Tacky!
It'll probably be Tuesday before I send any out, with the post office being closed Monday. I'm tearing out a 12" block wall at my parents church today, gonna take longer than I had planned. I'll get some pictures of inside my gearboxes up later tonight if I don't get home to late.

Thank you for the interest.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

~

"BLACK & TACKY" you say?

Sounds EVIL

I'll take 2 thank you

I'll PM you this weekend

Best Regards Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Mmmm.......pancakes!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Little late, had a busy weekend with holiday plans and doing some masonry work at my parents church. I was able to snap a couple pictures of the inside of my rear gearbox. You can see with only 4-5 drops per gear, there's very little mess inside the gearbox and there's a thin coat of grease on the gears. This is the second time I've had the cover off since building my XR. I'm pretty sure the greyish color is from the aluminum pinion wearing against the steel gears. A good portion of the testing I've done has been with 1300mah 3 cell packs doing full throttle assaults through the backyard trying to create heat in the gears. I have yet to feel the gearboxes at more than room temp or cooler.

All the years of us crawling, I've never had trucks this quiet before. It's not a big deal to most. Quiet to me means smooth and no bind anywhere. Which translates to me as less wear and happy gears that last longer.

***Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky gear oil*** - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Label Crawler MOA Re-Gear!!! Jeepial Team Losi Comp Crawler 240 09-27-2010 09:58 PM
best shock oil and gear oil j4k3 Axial SCX-10 2 07-26-2010 12:48 PM
Gear oil? What is the best? Will any gear oil work? chirogid RC4WD Bully 1 05-25-2010 10:05 AM
Gear oil in shocks? mach2nh General Crawlers 2 04-22-2010 05:37 AM