RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Money worth the quality? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/395160-money-worth-quality.html)

demonoid369 07-27-2012 06:32 PM

Money worth the quality?

6 Attachment(s)
Not saying names nor wanting the person to reply for I don't want drama or anything. All im asking you guys for is a second opinion since it be silly to get his opinion on his own work lol I got some sliders made for me, originally it was suppose to be sliders and a plate/boatsides on them to mount lipos to. He changed it and made just sliders. FYI I paid him $40. Now the plates aren't the biggy here, what I want to ask you guys is quality, I don't know if it's me just being too nice of a guy or what but I felt like if I was to make someone sliders, it would have what the customer wanted and the finish would be better. But I'll let you guys see the pics and tell me if I'm wrong or right Attachment 204322Attachment 204323Attachment 204324Attachment 204325Attachment 204326Attachment 204327
Main thing is the posts connecting the sliders to the body aren't lined up, and one is significantly shorter causing the body to pull ish, am I in the wrong and just too nice, or should I say something to him?

jcboof 07-27-2012 06:53 PM

Re: Money worth the quality?

I'd at least ask him to remake them for you. For 40 bucks, i would have expected better craftsmanship. Just let him know you are not completely satisfied and see if he is willing to help ya out.

SINister 07-27-2012 06:58 PM

To me it looks like either not enough heat to make the solder flow or the surface had some contaminant on it. I wouldn't feel right accepting money for that work.

jcboof 07-27-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINister (Post 3842584)
To me it looks like either not enough heat to make the solder flow or the surface had some contaminant on it. I wouldn't feel right accepting money for that work.

It looks like it was mig welded.

snohiker 07-27-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcboof (Post 3842587)
It looks like it was mig welded.

yup id say the same mig welded

Cordwood 07-27-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

It looks mig welded, not brazed, and by someone who actually welds worse than me...

Mt.Dew 07-27-2012 07:04 PM

I don't know who did the work and I'm no professional but I would not be happy. The sides should at least be symmetrical, (big word I think it maens line up).:)

SINister 07-27-2012 07:06 PM

My mistake. Thanks for the correction, just assumed it was brazed.

demonoid369 07-27-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt.Dew (Post 3842593)
I don't know who did the work and I'm no professional but I would not be happy. The sides should at least be symmetrical, (big word I think it maens line up).:)

That's what got me the most because I'm really OCD/something about both sides being exactly the same, lining up correctly and all that, mind you I had ask for it to be made where it bolts on and not straight welded to the frame,

demonoid369 07-27-2012 07:29 PM

Well I'm talking to him so if it doesn't resolve, I'll sadly have to leave a bas feedback.

Mt.Dew 07-27-2012 07:33 PM

I agree with jcboof I would ask him to remake it.

frdtrkguy 07-27-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't feel right accepting money for that work.

x2..

THX_138 07-27-2012 07:57 PM

None of the joints line up

Nothing is symmetrical

Nothing is level

Nothing is a finished weld with any strength

Seems they decided to attempt to learn mig welding on your sliders.

The heats are off, the angles of welds are wrong....

Surely they plugged in a welder and touched it to steel, but beyond that:roll::roll::roll:

I wouldn't even ask for them to be fixed, I would just request a refund. Sadly, I do not believe that persons welding skills are improving any time soon.

greggreg2011 07-27-2012 08:07 PM

id take nothing less then a refund

Docwolf 07-27-2012 08:25 PM

Your being nice, I would be pissed. Get your money back

doublej 07-27-2012 08:31 PM

Send them to me and I'll fix them an clean up the welds with my tig.
Honestly no decent fabricator should let work out of the shop like that.

demonoid369 07-27-2012 08:48 PM

i really want to send it to you but then id be out even more money and i cant do that lol, ive been waiting 1 and a half years to slowly collect parts because of lack of funds. and the funds for this that i had was for the sliders. :cry:
im still on the fence of asking for a refund or just wait to see when he gets back from his honeymoon that he'll fix it.

rocksteadily 07-27-2012 08:55 PM

40$ for that garbage? I wouldn't ask, I would DEMAND my money back.

klabeaume 07-27-2012 09:00 PM

Nope, you're not being too picky. It looks like crap and they should be ashamed. Maybe they took your $40 bucks and bought a square and hopefully a small grinder. My stuff I make for myself doesn't always come out perfectly symmetrical but at least I finish my welds off. :roll:

johnnyh66 07-27-2012 09:10 PM

I know you've been working on this for a while and it sucks that you ended up unhappy with the work
but
demonoid, I don't think you have anything to worry about... except maybe some shipping.
Most likely the vendor will step up and take care of it privately or a stand up member will fix it.
I'm assuming since you paid the vendor they have a star and plan on being a part of RCC. I doubt they'd want to start it off (again assuming they just started offering this service) with a very public shaming.
They'll fix it for ya... if they haven't seen this thread, just gently point them to it and ask for what you paid for. "thumbsup"