Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10??

Gday,

I have a wheely king, im trying to decide if I should upgrade it with a new brushless motor + ESC (~$100) + 2 new high mah batteries (~$100) + a few other bits and bobs including some alloy steering bits and a new steering servo and LSD for a total of about $250

or should I buy an Axial SCX10 ($450)?

Obviously the wheely king would be much faster with greater run time with all these mods, plus it is going to cost me a lot less, so how would these trucks compare?

The wheely king is my first truck btw.
e32lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I have both. Including upgrading the wheely king to brushless and servos and batteries. You would be much happier with the scx10.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10??

I had a WK as well... all stock. Used to run it over stuff and it was sort of fun, but having it flip all the time was a pain. Now i have an SCX10 and granted it is a little bit slower, but my god, it can crawl over just about anything. I know how my WK handled for climbing, and this scx will crawl circles around the WK.

Keep in mind though... it's not a basher by any means. The WK is more friendly to jumps and bumps and the open diffs help it turn a lot easier. You really need to evaluate how you are driving and what your primary goal is. If it's pure speed, dont bother with either truck, something like a Stampede or Slash would be better suited. If you want to crawl, then the scx will be better suited for you. The WK is sort of a compromise of everything. It doesnt climb as well as an scx, but better than a 2wd truck. Its not as fast as a 'Pede or Slash, but faster than an scx (stock for stock at least...not counting those crazy brushless guys running FOFF rigs)

If you get an scx and keep your WK for bashing, you may be able to satisfy both the wanting to bash and the techincal crawling, so you arent pidgeon holed into one or the other.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10??

Oh and Id probably just get a Dingo kit for $250 and use your WK radio gear to get it up and running. Then later on you can buy some other gear for it. Thats how I run my Slash and my SCX10. I use the same reciver and radio for both trucks. Just use velcro to hold it in and quick release plugs on the esc and servo.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI WHEELY KING UpGrade rcmorphosis Videos! 0 05-28-2012 11:00 AM
where can i buy the cheapest wheely king ax10rtrmaster HPI Wheely King 3 01-21-2011 09:12 PM
Wheely king axles with scx10 chassis phantomdjx HPI Wheely King 12 06-13-2009 11:12 AM
wheely King or axial rtr???? 7h3 HoRsE Newbie General 9 07-08-2008 12:32 PM