Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: different differential gear ratios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default different differential gear ratios

Does anybody run a shafty with different ratios in their differentials? Ive been wanting to try to have a higher gear ratio in the front than the rear ( so the front tire turns faster than the rear) to try to create a pulling effect so as the truck climbs a ledge it keeps the front planted and pulls it over the top. I think someone around here runs this in there clod (Grizz i think). And are different pinnions/ring gears avalable for maxx differentals?

Anyone whos has/tryed this how did it work out? Thanks.
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: different differential gear ratios

I havent tested this in the RC world but this seems to be an Urban myth of 1:1 4wheelers... and I'm gonna make an assumption and say if it doesnt work in fullsize rigs it wont work so well in the RC world (and yes I've seen it in a fullsize rig and it doesnt help!)
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It works with a clod because there is nothing mechanical to bind. Also, the reason Griz does it is to stop motor stall on a clod... not a problem on an e-maxx.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
It works with a clod because there is nothing mechanical to bind. Also, the reason Griz does it is to stop motor stall on a clod... not a problem on an e-maxx.
exactly if the front and rear are mechanicly connected and have different ratios this means it will always be in a bind, so for the vehicle to move one end will always be spinning the tires (meaning constant broken traction)
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hi guys! This is an old mud bogging trick. Sometimes the axles ran the same R+P with different hieght tires to do it. The theory was kinda as mentioned here, it kept the front pulling so it was "light" over the mud (not planted). Now remember, a tire cannot be planted if it is spinning w/o traction. If you have 2 different ratios, it would theoretically force one end to spin or turn slower than the other; therefore forcing one axle to actually lose traction on a hard surface.
This wouldn't be a problem in mud because of the lack of traction. Like said before, nothing to bind between Clod axles. I don't think that there is a way to run different ratios in most shaftie diffs anyhow, is there? I know that Maxx and TXT/Jugg diffs are set permanently at thier own ratio. Wouldn't twin/mad force and x-factors be the same way?
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmodtxt
I don't think that there is a way to run different ratios in most shaftie diffs anyhow, is there? I know that Maxx and TXT/Jugg diffs are set permanently at thier own ratio. Wouldn't twin/mad force and x-factors be the same way?
Maybe with a limited slip center diff?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The limited slip would deffenantly solve the binding, im wanting to try this now i just wish they had the parts. The way i figue it helping is when the rig is near or at vertical it will stop it from fliping backwards as the front tires ride over the top of the ledge.
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

I know that Toyo used to swap an MGT pinion into a TXT axle. So there is some possibility for swaps but I think they both had the same number of teeth.
The real problems are like said before, drivetrain bind and one set of tires being forced to slip. It works in a clod because there is no mechanical link between the front and rear axle (like Dave said).

However, if you had a motor and a tranny for each axle........you could have a Clod with driveshafts. I am planning to do this on a shafty and I saw it done on Kaetwo's TLT.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote