Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Won't shift gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Won't shift gears

Was out last week when the 1/6 lost power to rear. Usually all I had to do was pick it up, hit the hi/lo a couple of times and it was OK. This time it wasn't. Took the axle apart and nothing seems broken and I can move the gear selector by hand to switch gears but the gear switch motor is dead. Meanwhile the front axle is stuck in lo. Seems unlikely both switch motors would die so it must be something in the electronics, yes? This is my 2nd car to do this.
AmigaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Did you try runnin the truck and switching gears while the cover was off, or did you just do it all by hand? First time it happened to me it looked fine when I opened it up, when I couldn't figure out why it was still doing it I just started runnin it while the cover was off and realized the hi/low was just slipping on the gear..too it apart cleaned it up cycled it with the raido a few times...all better. I have to do this atleast once every battery...it's the price I pay for wanting to keep hi gear.
CLODZIRRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default That's not it.

Well like I said the hi/lo motor is dead, as in it doesn't turn. I removed the crown tall gear off the worm gear so there was no load on the hi/lo motor, tweaked the throttle trim til it was just turning, and hit the hi/lo switch. Nada.
That may have been the problem before, when I could re-engage it by holding the car off the ground and hitting the switch, but that's not what's happening here. It also wouldn't explain the front axle...

/thx for your reply

Last edited by AmigaJoe; 08-12-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I called Funrise and described the problem. Also mentioned that this is the second buggy to exhibit it, but since I TT'd the first one I knew the warranty was void. The guy (Steve) is now sending me 2 new bodies!!! Couldn't believe it. Oddly when I asked about the future of the Crawler, he said they were 'taking a breather'. Maybe , HOPEFULLY learning from issues that have come up and doing some more re-engineering of the design. Remembering that the original retail of this thing was $200, maybe they'll re-emerge with a car really worth that much...