Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Car carriers/haulers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Car carriers/haulers

Planning for the journey to the West Coast Shootout in March and was hoping to take my trucks as a carry on.

I want to know what duffles/car carriers/haulers/sports bags you guys use, and if any can accommodate two 2.2's comp rigs and a 2.2 scaler?

At the very least I hope to fit 2 and some gear (like radio & tires) in the bag. I could always load the smallest truck into my backpack.

Thanks in advance!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Car carriers/haulers

When I brought my crawler on the summer vacation I used a standard carry on suitcase for the radio, batteries and chassis. The body, wheels and tools travelled in the checked in luggage. On the outbound flight I'd even unscrewed the beadlock rings, just to make things easier if some customs officer wanted to take a closer look on the wheel weights attached to the rims.

There wasn't room for another mounted chassis in the case though, so if you want to bring more than one rig they'll have to be at least partially disassembled.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

whatever you can actually fit as carryon is allowed. id say leave the lipos closest to bags opening for easy access. if your traveling with another person that doesnt have rc's maybe work out carryon between you and leave all else to check
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I've traveled a few times and what you can do is a little different than what you are supposed to do. This is based on the TSA website and my personal experience from asking them questions.

I try to carry on as much of my truck as I can because I can replace tools, or clothes ... but the radio and truck are worth the most so I want them in my sight always. Plus if I get to a comp and the TSA guys that go through checked bags lost or removed something it would/could ruin the whole trip.

Batteries are supposed to be carried on & not packed in checked stuff. The ends of the batteries are supposed to be electrical taped down so they cannot move about. Most won't care about them being taped down but why risk it? I pull EVERYTHING out for the x-ray and every time they take either a few batteries or the truck over for swabbing. I was told by some to make sure I wash my truck before bringing it on because if I happened to drive through some mud that contained traces of gun powder (we do wheel in back woods places) it would be an issue.

My trucks go in a standard book bag. Sometimes with the tires on, other times not. It's easy to fit a comp rig in there with the tires removed. Never tried 2 but maybe it could fit with no tires in there. Scaler is larger and travels alone. It also comes out for the machine. I've never had them ask me to remove the scaler body and my electronics are in a sealed box. Since it looks like a "toy" car and since I have all the batteries and radio in hand, if there was a problem I could fire it up and let them use it. Most of them just ask how old my kid is and are surprised when I say 36.

I pack all my tools in my checked bag. All parts go in plastic bins (some in baggies within the bins) and all the bins are snapped shut then rubber banded closed as well. If TSA wants to open it they can but not convenient for them.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I figure I could definitely get my two comp rigs in a regular carry on, wight the radio & tires. I was hoping to try and get away without a checked bag (carrying the personal items in a large back pack, but the scaler is large, and realistically I guess I will have to have a checked bag for the clothes and miscellaneous items. I could then pro ably carry the scaler in the back pack.

Thanks again
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Car carriers/haulers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro crawler haulers/storage... braceysdad Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 10 01-09-2011 06:09 PM
Made us some haulers and trailers sddill 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 04-20-2008 07:58 PM
Racing the haulers ClodMonster Chit Chat 1 06-05-2007 08:31 PM
crawler haulers DougGass87 Chit Chat 3 10-20-2006 08:17 PM
Serious Haulers! DirkDigler Chit Chat 6 05-15-2006 08:45 PM