Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Best RTR Crawler for former Nylint Guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best RTR Crawler for former Nylint Guy

Hey guys, been a while since I was active. I am the proud owner of a 1/6 Grand Cherokee mounted to a modified 1/6 Nylint Rock Crawler chassis. I would direct you to my build thread, but all the images are long gone. Best I have is a video I uploaded when the battery was almost dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMJtBOINcTQ

Anyhew, I am looking to get back into the hobby, albeit with a smaller crawler. I am not currently skilled enough to build my own crawler, so I would like to start out with something that I can upgrade over time. I made plenty of modifications to the Nylint, but most were for ground performance reasons, as there are limited options for anything else.

Can you guys direct me to a reasonably priced 4wd platform somewhere between 1:10 and 1:16 scale? I've checked Amazon and eBay, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for or at for that matter. I know that off the bat, I am not looking to spend $500. I can't believe how expensive some of these can get. I'm sure they are competition worthy and all that, but for now I'm just looking for a backyard crawler that I can toy around with and upgrade a little.

Thanks so much!
WKCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best RTR Crawler for former Nylint Guy

I think this is going to be a cool truck when it is released:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...n-ax90028.html
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

do you want MOS or shafty?? cheapest and best "Starter" RTR IMO is the redcat RS10XT (MOA), $159 shipped on ebay. there is a sub forum on this site for it too. next i would direct you maybe a Losi mini, or moving up to a Venom Creeper or safari (shafty) .
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

How about the Losi knightcrawler, if you want comp style, or an Axial SCX10 if you want scale.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

thats a nice looking Nylint. The body looks good on there. But yeah, they suck for crawling/bashing, etc. Depending on your budget, Id buy a Axial rig. Either used or new. If you want a new, nice entry level MOA crawler for $160-ish. You cant beat the Redcat rs10-xt IMO. But if you've got the cash to spend buy the scx10 for sure.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I started out with an Axial rtr new for $200 on ebay but I eventually did some upgrades and mods. The mods were fairly easy. Also one thing you could do is find a local rc crawling club under the state section and go to one of their events or comps. So you can see what these crawlers can actually do and to help you decide on what you want your crawler to do and what kind of rig to get! It might save you money in the long run if you do some mods and upgrades.
wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

any rig you are going to end up with 150 bucks in upgrades in the first few months, servos, broken parts and so on. look at your long term budget and go form there, also hit the for sale section here if you have the post count too be able to see it. I just picked up a RTR wraith for 275 bucks for my dad, also craigslist, they few and far between here, but some times a hell of a deal comes along form someone who got in over their head.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

My first choice for a starter rig would be an Axial. Either the AX10 if you like the more comp style, or the one of the several SCX10 based trucks, if you like the scale look. Replacement and upgrade parts are available at most hobby shops. You can find deals on the bay sometimes if you keep looking. Also, buy a star on the forum and search the classifieds. If you don't have a local hobby shop. Go to RPPHobby.com. They have it all and at good prices. And nobody ships faster!
Hoss138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Best RTR Crawler for former Nylint Guy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy guy here need helping choosing crawler Qcustomz Newbie General 10 09-23-2012 10:27 AM
RTR vs Kit for a new guy JeepNerd Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 03-13-2008 03:32 PM