Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Why I "DON'T go to comps anymore!!"....open to anyone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Why I "DON'T go to comps anymore!!"....open to anyone

I've been to lots of crawling events, and only recall one rock racing event, in which I beat Rowdy......lol. Best event I ever went to.......lmao
chad30w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Well if you've never experienced it, it must not have happened. From what I can see, you are THE expert of every subject that has anything to do with comps.

I never said I was an expert at anything, but I am pretty certain I have been to more local and national comps over the past several years than you have.

I know you and your buddies think I should not be allowed to post on certain subjects (or incur multiple infractions), but unfortunately I am allowed to give my opinions.

"I will not be silenced!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad30w View Post
I've been to lots of crawling events, and only recall one rock racing event, in which I beat Rowdy......lol. Best event I ever went to.......lmao
And took a bunch of his money doing so.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm fat and I have short legs.

I have comped with guys in wheelchairs.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I never said I was an expert at anything, but I am pretty certain I have been to more local and national comps over the past several years than you have.

I know you and your buddies think I should not be allowed to post on certain subjects (or incur multiple infractions), but unfortunately I am allowed to give my opinions.

And took a bunch of his money doing so.

So your recent comp experiences are not the same as I experienced, so my experiences didn't happen?

My buddies and I don't want you to post and are trying to "silence" you? Dude, lay off the crack pipe, it's making you paranoid.

I could give a flying flip where you post or what you post about. As I stated, I don't comp anymore and have no plans to anytime in the near future.

I stating MY opinion on the matter in this thread as the OP asked.

You seem to take the fact that comp crawling isn't what it used to be or that some of us don't like it as much as we did when we started as a personal attack.

If you like the direction comp crawling is heading, then IMO you need to reexamine the state of the sport.

As I said, I quit when it got to expensive and when the abilities of the rigs increased to the point where time became a factor. Where I crawled, we had to climb and it took me longer to climb physically than it did for others and it impacted my ability to be competitive.

It is what it is, that was MY experience.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post

I have comped with guys in wheelchairs.
As have I, unfortunately I don't think anyone in a wheelchair could compete in the area we used most commonly w/o significant help and the stopping of the clock to help get them into position.

Again, I'm not complaining. Just stating the reason I don't go to comps anymore.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Dezfan,

What do you think the state of comp crawling is, and what do you suppose can be done to correct it?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So your recent comp experiences are not the same as I experienced, so my experiences didn't happen?
Did I say that?

Quote:
You seem to take the fact that comp crawling isn't what it used to be or that some of us don't like it as much as we did when we started as a personal attack.
Not at all. But I do feel like some of the reasons people give here are simply just personal excuses and that, IMO, is not why the OP started this thread. If you think that event organizers can do a damn thing about your short legs or big gut, then it sounds like you are the person who needs to lay down the crack pipe.

I believe this thread was started to help event organizers see some things that people are struggling with in hopes of changing those. Not all of these can be changed.

Quote:
If you like the direction comp crawling is heading, then IMO you need to reexamine the state of the sport.
I feel no need to reexamine anything. I like comp crawling. I am sorry that you do not.

Quote:
As have I, unfortunately I don't think anyone in a wheelchair could compete in the area we used most commonly w/o significant help and the stopping of the clock to help get them into position.
Any driver can ask for the clock to be paused at ANY time to position their body in a safe manner.

Last edited by JeremyH; 07-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Sorry I just had to
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post

Sorry I just had to
I'll probably have another one awarded. That'll be my third this week from my favorite mod!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dezfan,

What do you think the state of comp crawling is, and what do you suppose can be done to correct it?
As an outsider now looking in, it looks to be down in popularity and support. The number of events and the number of people participating in these events looks to be down as well.

To compete at the highest level is extremely expensive and time consuming. That cost in time and money is a barrier that many new members never get over.

IMO, we need more classes(and I know many of issues that involves). We need a class where nOObs can ease into the pool and get their feet wet without having to dive headlong into the deep end of the pool.

When I was competing, I witnessed it time after time. A new guy would come watch a comp, get excited about crawling, go buy a new AX-10 and the necessary equipment to get it operational. Then show up and see that his new investment wan't even close to being competitive. It was discouraging.

While a few would continue to comp and make the needed investment to increase their rigs ability and reliability, most would just stop attending and I would see their rig for sale shortly afterwards.

We also need an intermediate class between the beginner class and the top dogs for those ready to take the next step and for those looking to get back into the sport or those who are looking to walk back their level of involvement that comp crawling requires.

I guess what I'm saying is that comp need options.

Maybe a nostalgia class, or some kind of a cost control glass?

IDK? I won't even pretend to know the answer or have a magic solution to the current state of comp.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the positive input. That's what people who follow this thread closely are looking for.

BTW, I completely agree with you on the new guys. Our club takes the participants into consideration when we setup courses. If we have a group of new guys show up, we adjust our courses accordingly. I agree that people will get discouraged if they show up and cant make it past gate one, so our group changes that.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As an outsider now looking in, it looks to be down in popularity and support. The number of events and the number of people participating in these events looks to be down as well.

To compete at the highest level is extremely expensive and time consuming. That cost in time and money is a barrier that many new members never get over.

IMO, we need more classes(and I know many of issues that involves). We need a class where nOObs can ease into the pool and get their feet wet without having to dive headlong into the deep end of the pool.

When I was competing, I witnessed it time after time. A new guy would come watch a comp, get excited about crawling, go buy a new AX-10 and the necessary equipment to get it operational. Then show up and see that his new investment wan't even close to being competitive. It was discouraging.

While a few would continue to comp and make the needed investment to increase their rigs ability and reliability, most would just stop attending and I would see their rig for sale shortly afterwards.

We also need an intermediate class between the beginner class and the top dogs for those ready to take the next step and for those looking to get back into the sport or those who are looking to walk back their level of involvement that comp crawling requires.

IDK? I won't even pretend to know the answer or have a magic solution to the current state of comp.
Thanks, opinions and solutions will get us farther than excuses.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #114
RCC Addict

Quote:

Maybe a nostalgia class, or some kind of a cost control class?
I think the 2.2s or sportsman or sporty class is a limited expense class with a growing popularity. I for one am hooked & want to develop this class in my area more.

I recently read a thread where a kid with a bone stock SCX10 completed the entire G6 course at axialfest so this G6 class/ comp sounds very inviting to a new comer.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
I think the 2.2s or sportsman or sporty class is a limited expense class with a growing popularity. I for one am hooked & want to develop this class in my area more.
Agreed.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did I say that?
That's what you implied. You stated that you hadn't experienced it, therefor my experience must not be relivant.

Quote:
Not at all. But I do feel like some of the reasons people give here are simply just personal excuses and that, IMO, is not why the OP started this thread. If you think that event organizers can do a damn thing about your short legs or big gut, then it sounds like you are the person who needs to lay down the crack pipe.
You just did it again. My personal reasons (or "excuses" as you refer to them) are mine. Just as others reasons are theirs. Whether or not they are important or relevant to you in meaningless.

I didn't ask anyone to do anything to accommodate me. I simply stepped away from the comp scene, made the transition to scale, and then stated why I stepped away when asked.

Quote:
I believe this thread was started to help event organizers see some things that people are struggling with in hopes of changing those. Not all of these can be changed.
I agree. But your attack on anyone that doesn't see things just as you do is also an issue.

Quote:
I feel no need to reexamine anything. I like comp crawling. I am sorry that you do not.
Maybe that's the problem?

Quote:
Any driver can ask for the clock to be paused at ANY time to position their body in a safe manner.
That's a good thing. If I were to comp again, I would use it regularly.

Last edited by dezfan; 07-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I agree. But your attack on anyone that doesn't see things just as you do is also an issue.
I am sorry you feel that I was attacking you. I was not.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, opinions and solutions will get us farther than excuses.
If my experiences can be of benefit, then it's worth all the BS that goes along with it.

While I don't comp anymore, I still enjoy watching the comps and I have no desire to see it disappear. It is beneficial to the entire community, including the scale scene.

I've been a member of RCC for nearly 10 years and plan on being a member for the foreseeable future. Things come and go. Some of those things I like, some I don't. Some need to be tweaked a little, some need to be tweaked ALOT and I don't have an issue expressing my POV.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I agree with most of what you said but....

I don't completely agree with you on this. I think that there is more than enough info on this site for a noob to find and do free and cheep mods to their rig to be competitive. You don't come out of the gate a top skilled driver and you need time to learn your rig and how to drive.
When I started I ran a stock AX 10, the only thing I bought was tires. With no dig and competing against MOA rigs i finished in third for the season.

Practice, Practice, Practice Everyone wants instant gratification. Gotta start at the bottom.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
I agree with most of what you said but....

I don't completely agree with you on this. I think that there is more than enough info on this site for a noob to find and do free and cheep mods to their rig to be competitive. You don't come out of the gate a top skilled driver and you need time to learn your rig and how to drive.
When I started I ran a stock AX 10, the only thing I bought was tires. With no dig and competing against MOA rigs i finished in third for the season.

Practice, Practice, Practice Everyone wants instant gratification. Gotta start at the bottom.
I agree, but for many new people, crawling isn't an all consuming addiction like it was for you, me, and so many others. It's a form of entertainment, a way to relax, or to enjoy a little family time a couple times a week.

We need to make necessary changes that will help keep more new people involved so that they can develop the love for the sport so that the investment in time that is required isn't such a hard pill to swallow.

Last edited by dezfan; 07-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Why I "DON'T go to comps anymore!!"....open to anyone - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans Charlie-III Newbie General 108 03-21-2023 11:34 AM