Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4 link re do!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 4 link re do!

so I've decided to redo the 4 link suspension on my 1/8 scale Red Cat Rock slide. My question is where do I start looking for the materials for the links? I'm going to make them straight (should end up shorter than factory) so the rig is a bit "tighter". It has bent lowers and the shocks are on them and the thing is like a slinky I'd like it to be tight not loose. I assume I'm going to have to make my own as opposed to being able to buy some (which is fine) but I haven't been able to locate any supplies yet. Next will be updated electronics.

thanks for any and all help!
04zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4 link re do!

For a lot of my links, I use thick wall aluminum tubing from my LHS. For 10th scale rigs, I use 1/4" OD tubing, cut to length, then run a correct drill bit in the ends before threading. I'm not taking much off with the drill.

You can't bend the tubing hard, it WILL snap off. Easy bends do well though.

I have also used various Traxxas steel links, sometimes with thin wall Nylon tubing over them (so they slide a bit easier).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I order all my metal link components from McMaster Carr. Great industrial supplier. VERY fast shipping and good prices.

On my TTC style trucks I use 10-24 stainless steel threaded rod and slide .250" dia stainless tubing over the threaded rod. Pick up a 10-24 thread tap at the same time.
Also, I use Traxxas Revo or Traxxas Jato end links. I use the tap to cut some threads in the rod end, and then put some long set CA glue or epoxy in the threads when I assemble for the last time.
This makes links that are heavy, but VERY tough. You can bend them with a tubing bender, but I havent' bent one while running yet. Knock on wood.

For my lighter scalers, I use heavy wall aluminum and either 10-24 or 8-32 threaded rod.

For the comp trucks, I am moving towards Titanium.
Hope this helpls.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

not sire how it will work but I picked up some solid aluminum rod was thinking of threading ends on to it. we'll see how that works out for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Hey Bigstu, what size thread are the traxxas end links, 10-24? Should I drill the ends of them and use 10-24 threaded rod, (that might be what you are saying).
I'm assuming that I can't just buy (and modify) pre made links????

any and all help is much appreciated.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I just got done making some links, i used the all thread and 1/4" stainless tubing. super strong and and use revo ends, they seem to thread on with no mod to them and hold up really well. I have also made streering likes the same way fo the tf/mf axles I have on a large rig. I think this it the way to go. You can also use aluminum but the softer metal seems to hang up more on the rocks. hope this helps
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

cool thanks, soon as I have time I'll go to my LHS and see what they have for me to use, proto types are under way with what I have on hand.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

8-32 all thread will go right in to the Revo and Jato (Traxxas) rod ends. They aren't threaded, so you just cut the threads as you put it in.

The 10-24 is a little tight going in.
I don't drill the rod ends out at all, since there are no threads in them, I just use a 10-24 tap to cut some threads in the link end, and then put a dot of super glue on them when I get them ready for final assembly.

No. I am pretty sure no one makes pre-made links that you can modify for the redcats..
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I use delrin tubing, works really well and it's very light.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
I use delrin tubing, works really well and it's very light.
where do you get it?

4 link re do! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upper link length for honcho with 4-link truss 2500hdon37s Axial SCX-10 19 08-04-2012 08:46 PM
New variable link testing (Video link added) Losi man Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 03-17-2010 08:53 AM
Link setup on TCS 4 link plates and boulder chassis sdcrawls Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 11-17-2009 02:37 AM