Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Too capable ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Too capable ?

This might sound stupid but do you ever find your rig to capable ? Hear me out. I bought a Losi night Crawler, Honcho and Dingo all within 3 months. The Losi is about as modded as I can get without a chassis change. My Honcho I went with 2.2s and swapped out all the electronics and basically have been doing everything I can to make it crawl better while still keeping a somewhat scale look. I built a Dingo as a side project to mimic my 1:1 crawler. I did it pretty much like a stock setup would be and stuck with 1.9s. I built 2 trails in my yard and there's a natural rock garden in my yard and at first none of them could conquer the trails or all the rocks.Now my LNC does all 3 no challenge, Honcho I might have to back up once or twice. My Dingo however it takes me time and skill to complete and there is still a couple pots I haven't conquered yet so I find myself using it more just for the challenges. Don't get me wrong I love the other two and I take them out every chance I get and I would never change them back to stock but its more challenging to find terrain that's a good fit for them. You guys ever miss those first days with a stock rig ? Or should I just shutup and start tricking out the Dingo ?
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Too capable ?

It's called progression and evolution. Nothing is supposed to grow and become more capable then have that evolutionary cycle suddenly stagnated. If no one ever pushed the limits we'd all be stuck with polystyrene parts, mechanical speed controls and twin stick radios.

Personally I build everything to be uber capable and when I find things to be less challenging I'll look for new places to run that are harder.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like You need to make your terrain tougher. My cralwers have outgrown my home course , but there is always gonnna be tougher terrain to take it to for a challenge.
G's ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm with you. I recently hit that spot with my Wraith and started to run a CC-01 and have been having a blast with it!

I'm actually now trying to trade my Wraith as it is just too good for what I have around me to play on. In my opinion it looses some appeal when you just drive over everything.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
WOOPOOW!!

Im with you guys as well. Just sold my scx10 rig for a bruiser hybrid, and I am having an absolute blast whoopin up on the stock SCX10 JK's and performance enhanced scale rigs with my leaf springs. I feel like my truck will DO the same lines, but it takes alot more skill to get it to do said lines. I love it!!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

You have also been running your backyard course for awhile i would imagine, so you know all the lines to take! Get out to some local parks or nature trails and find some harder stuff to challenge yourself and whatever rig you have with you
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
mrG
RCC Addict

Look for the line you don't think you can do and go for it. The rock presents endless challenges if you look for them.
Do you comp with the LNC and the Hancho? If not, check it out, it's a whole new world
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I do take my rigs out to different spots but I don't always have time so I play in the yard a lot. I don't think there are any comps anywhere near me so I'm limited to competing with myself and buddies.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

Years ago the biggest complaint about the now nearly defunct Super class trucks was that they make everything too easy. So mostly everyone focused on the 2.2 comp trucks.[/history lesson]

For me the challenge is making something, finally. I want it to take a long time, otherwise I'm gonna get bored. I have videos of me trying the same thing over and over again using up multiple batteries. I might be a bit odd in this regard, but hey...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post

For me the challenge is making something, finally. I want it to take a long time, otherwise I'm gonna get bored. I have videos of me trying the same thing over and over again using up multiple batteries. I might be a bit odd in this regard, but hey...
Years ago there was one obstacle where i live that a buddy and i ran for about 2 years before being able to walk it with our 2.2 comp TLT axled trucks. These days my scalers go right up it no problem, even made it in the rain!
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #11

I was worried about the same thing, my rig being TOO capable. I am looking for my first crawler and was trying to choose between a 1/8th and a 1/10th rig. After a lot of reading I think for general knocking around on my home course I am going to go with a 1/10 truck as the over sized 1/8th rig would get boring quick.
Used Up Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
RCC Addict

within my group of friends there is 2 moa rigs, 4 ax10's and now recently a ridgecrest has joined the group....

when the moa guys showed up they were hitting lines that we couldnt even touch but now we can more or less hit everything they do on the same course... all of our rigs are very dialed in and very capable now its just the driver that needs practice.. cough cough.. me.. haha

i havent ran my honcho for a long time since i got my ax10 because i've been tuning that but its just about where i want it so then i'll start tuning the scx10 again.

i say look for lines that you know you cant make and then try them... at a friends house i find myself looking for stupid lines.. i'll try a line that one of the moa guys just did to see if i can at least half ass it through..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Try to Bend it

Add gates.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Suck it up!

I'm having the same fun with my scx10 now that I did with my comp rig a few years ago when I first got serious about it. The fun in is the challenge, not the ability.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Add gates.
I have out grown my home course as well. This is the best way to get an instant challenge. Put up gates that are narrow and of things you wouldnt attemp because there was an easier line. Look for an unpassable route and try it. Another thing to do is not make a full trail, try to make obsticals like in a real trail. You can do lots of flat road driving to find a spot that becomes a road block/bottle neck on a trail and that is what every offroader gets excited about. So look for or build stuff that will challenge you and when you get it, change it. One miss placed rock or branch, or even some loose dirt can make or break a trail. Another thing to try is to flip it up, most people try to climb things, try to go down something insted of trying to go up it. IMO most people build rigs to go up and then fail bad when its a decline and when you think of it you need down everything you go up to get out of some of the trails. I hope this info makes sence and helps you out. On a side note, I think that comps should a 2 way challenge so any one challenge has to be completed both ways. It would make it more real IMO.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

^^^ very well said..

at a friends house he has 15,000+ lbs of rock in his garage and he's spent years building a course to make it hard... it took about 5 runs to figure out the entire course and now all my friends and i are decent drivers but like buggynutt said all it takes is one rock to mess you up.. a friend will place a tiny rock in an easy to crawl spot and it screws us all up, axle gets hung up and you can blip the throttle and most times it gets through but sometimes it doesnt you gotta take a reverse...

my friends and i are building a course in my field, its huge (look for it in the general discussion section) and we arent making it easy.. its roughly 40,000lbs of rock right now... a friend runs wideners for outdoors and he's made some of the obstacles that he can only get through... but to me thats a challenge worse thing that happens is it falls off... let off the throttle and go pick it up before you break stuff..

on a friends course there is one section we couldnt get up easy to do down but couldnt climb it until yesterday... of the guys climbed it with his moa so of course now the rest of us have to try it and made it.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The fun is in the challenge, not the ability.
Well said. and fixed

Op, everyone gets there, I made a course when i got my crawler, was alright for a bit, after a little modification and practice, its now cake and I no longer play on it. Alwas be on the lookout for new lines and obstacles.

Hell, you'll see me staring at piles of rocks as Im driving down the road wondering if it could possibly be a new spot.
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Put some limiters on your shock shafts, buy some terrible tread like some RC4WD Dune T/A's, put your battery up high, and add hard body. Now try again.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Lol I already had some rc4wd dirt grabbers as the first tires I tried so I've experienced the crappy tire thing already. All 6 are now wall ornaments.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

When my boy was three he said he could read because he memorized the words in the story. Bust out a new book then guess what happened... He struggled

Try to find new places its definatly more exciting and fun. The main reason I haven't built a home course is unless its huge and I mean huge, you will outgrow it fairly quick.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Too capable ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how capable? Slambaam Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 04-28-2012 07:54 AM
are scalers less capable? Dirtyamericanx Newbie General 21 04-10-2011 11:57 AM
is it really capable? freemachinist Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 16 04-14-2010 01:07 PM
more capable farm__boy Newbie General 1 02-15-2009 09:02 AM
Could this be capable? BushWacker General Crawlers 7 06-29-2004 11:31 AM