Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scaler Questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scaler Questions?

I am new to crawlers and am considering getting a honcho or dingo for their scale looks, maybe a wraith but I do like the scale look.

Which of these 3 would be best for trail riding? I am not interested in bashing etc, just trail riding over obstacles. Not even concerned with rock crawling per se just trail riding. Which of these would be best suited for that?

My understanding is that all 3 have their strengths the wraith has bigger tires, the dingo has a shorter wheelbase better for going over stuff and the honcho has more weight up front and longer base which is more stable

Lastly, I hate the honcho body, is there a website or online source that sells painted scale bodies that are already a good fit with no alterations for the Honcho and others for the dingo?

Thanks
jwalker497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
I am new to crawlers and am considering getting a honcho or dingo for their scale looks, maybe a wraith but I do like the scale look.

Which of these 3 would be best for trail riding? I am not interested in bashing etc, just trail riding over obstacles. Not even concerned with rock crawling per se just trail riding. Which of these would be best suited for that?

My understanding is that all 3 have their strengths the wraith has bigger tires, the dingo has a shorter wheelbase better for going over stuff and the honcho has more weight up front and longer base which is more stable

Lastly, I hate the honcho body, is there a website or online source that sells painted scale bodies that are already a good fit with no alterations for the Honcho and others for the dingo?

Thanks
If you dont like Honcho body, go with the jeep Rubicon...
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
In the band for now.

Default Re: Scaler Questions?

there all great for trails
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Advantage of Wraith is bigger wheels, 2.2 instead of 1.9, so easier on technica parts.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I was really hoping for more feedback

Also want to knownif this body will fit acx10 hincho

Check this out on AMZN: Hummer H2 SUT Clear Body: Stampede Amazon.com: Hummer H2 SUT Clear Body: Stampede: Toys & Games
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Okay I've got all three and I love my honcho and dingo and they are both great in their own ways, in my opinion go with the honcho it's rtr, I bought my dingo when they were rtr but that's no longer available, but the honcho looks great with these bodies but these are just the ones I've got, the proline Comanche, proline jeep rubicon, and the stock body, but one thing you need to upgrade is the tires, the ripsaws suck! But these are my opinions
SCALER14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

To answer your question of which is the "best for trail riding"

I'd have to say the Wraith.. Being the largest and having 2.2 tires it'll handle the terrain easier and will generally go places the smaller 1.9" scx-10 based rigs cannot or will at least struggle in comparison.

I have miles and miles on my Honcho and Wraith on the trails and they are both very fun.. I enjoy the Honcho when I'm in the mood for a challenge and don't want to cover so much ground.. Every little obstacle is something to get around or get over. With the Wraith, I can cover a lot of distance with it without much effort and don't always have to pay so much attention to the trail. On the very difficult trails it's more fun and less frustrating than the Honcho would be.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

When you make a decision just match wheelbase from choice to wheelbase of a body of your choice. If I see one more honcho/dingo body I'm gonna puke
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So the wraith is the best in trails and obstacles?

Dies anyone sell any bodies for the wraith so it looks scale?

Also any custome painted bodies out there and not crazy bashing bodies but nice tealistic paint jobs
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

In this hobby you have to put in a little elbow grease to get exactly what you want.
There's several tutorials that show how to make your own links.
Once you can do that, you can run just about any body you choose.

Most lexon bodies are clear, you will have to paint it.
Hard bodies are "painted" but you're very limited as far as options go.

I think you need to do more research before any decision is made.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Scale Detail Engineering

read through the Buxom Melons thread in my sig.
It started as a Dingo and never stopped evolving.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So hard to decide between scx10 and wraith

Any help or things to consider would benhpful
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
So hard to decide between scx10 and wraith

Any help or things to consider would benhpful
I have the same problem because I m looking for a kit with some upgrades and at the end...almost the same price...
Wraith is better every where due to bigger wheels but less scale than a SCX10.....
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have the same problem because I m looking for a kit with some upgrades and at the end...almost the same price...
Wraith is better every where due to bigger wheels but less scale than a SCX10.....
I don't know about that.
Last year I ran my SCX10 in Class 3 against a bunch of Wraiths... I took first place for the season.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I don't know about that.
Last year I ran my SCX10 in Class 3 against a bunch of Wraiths... I took first place for the season.
I think with similar stuff, wraith is better so if you won it s because you are a better driver.....
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I would go with the either of the scx10's. They would look the most scale out on a trail imo.

Do you want to be able to conquer everything you come across with ease or would you want a bit of a challenge? The scx10 would prove those obstacles to be tougher while the wraith make them easier...but not always of course. I personally like the challenge and scale looks which is why I run 1.55 on my scx10's. Also I've read that a cms setup is easier on an scx10 than a wrait if you plan to go that scale.

sent from a mobile device dumber than me.
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I got my SCX10s before the Wraith existed. The Wraith is a blast to drive, but I always go back to the SCX10s.

The Wraith will drive over anything. If you get stuck, just gun it. If you get bored, just gun it. If you feel like just bashing til it's broke so you'll have something to fix, just gun it. But that's only fun for so long. Usually it's more fun trying to NOT get stuck. When you can't drive directly over an obstacle, it takes skill to find a drivable route. I think it's more rewarding to get past a technical obstacle on a tricky line with 1.9 tires than it is to just bounce over it on 2.2s.

There's nothing particularly UNscale about the Wraith. Youtube some serious rock crawling vids and you'll find plenty of crazy rides that look a lot like the Wraith. But they're made specifically for crawling. When most people think scale, they think of a street vehicle that's been modified to do crazy shit it was never meant to do. That's an SCX10. You can make almost any 1/10 body fit an SCX10, but you might have to do some work with the links, suspension, and drivetrain to make it look natural. Proline (the company that makes that hummer body) makes dozens of bodies that can be fit to an SCX10, all based on real trucks. Check out their site ProLineRacing.com - RC Tires, Wheels, and Accessories

Mostly tho, I dig the SCX10s for their potential. It's a great platform to base just about any project on. I built my girl a no-nonsense rig that'll drive over just about anything, almost bone stock. I got carried away with mine and rigged up a 2-speed tranny, dig, front and back winches, lights, and every scale-looking mod I could get my hands on. Anything's possible if you've got imagination and if you're handy at all.

Ticks me off that the Honcho kit is gone. Nothing wrong with the Dingo, but out of the box the wheelbase is too short for most bodies and if you don't have a collection of suspension parts to build it out right from the get go that can get pricey. You can get the Honcho RTR, but half the fun of the hobby is building. No RTR for me, thanks.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I personally decided on the Honcho because I liked the way it looked over the wraith. I figure if I need 2.2 tires I will pick up a Wraith, but starting with 1.9, I'll have to learn how to drive, not just power though.
Soundlzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

from what you are asking, I would also go with the honcho. you seem to want a lot more scale out of the vehicle. the wraith is very scale, but the best scale rc I've seen were honcho based.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote

Scaler Questions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scaler newb questions droopmodmrc Newbie General 2 08-18-2009 08:42 PM
scaler newb questions droopmodmrc Newbie General 2 08-18-2009 08:37 PM
My scaler build questions SMUDGEBUG Axial SCX-10 7 03-18-2009 09:25 AM
electronics questions for the new scaler dieselfuel Electronics 5 04-15-2008 02:02 AM
2.2 scaler questions longboard552 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 12-04-2007 10:14 PM