Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need some help getting started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Need some help getting started

Hey all,and yes I'm new to this RC stuff. This is an awesome board,I've read a ton of stuff already,I'm hooked.

I'm wanting to build a RC crawler in a bad way. I was thinking of starting with a E-MAXX. I was just wondering though,is there a certain car you can buy that will be more easily adaptable to building a crawler. I would prefer something with solid axles instead of IFS but not sure if thats available. I've got the tube and I'll bend up my own chassis.

I guess what would answer my question the best is.......

What kit comes with the best parts?

Parts like good driveshafts,axles,lower gears,shocks and big meats.

I know there's probly not a kit that has the best of everything but surely there's a kit that has decent stuff that would build a decent starter rig.

Anyone got any advice?
Thanks a bunch.
Raptorman57.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Need some help getting started

I think that the most adaptable kit is the Tamiya ClodBuster, it's sold axle with the gearboxes integrated into the axles themselfe that way you won't have to worry about any drive shafts...
DCLXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
Hey all,and yes I'm new to this RC stuff.
Ok, so we will go easy on you.

Quote:
This is an awesome board,I've read a ton of stuff already,I'm hooked.
Yes this is an awsome board, but I dont believe you when you say that "Ive read a ton", because there are atleast 5 threads on this particular forum dedicated to questions just like yours. Believe me, they all ask the same thing as you.

Quote:
I know there's probly not a kit that has the best of everything but surely there's a kit that has decent stuff that would build a decent starter rig.
No there is not a kit that has the best of everything, that is why this hobby gets the attention it does. It makes each person out there start with an less capable vehicle and customize it to meet there RC needs. But the same answers that you will get from the other 5+ threads is one of three:
"A TXT-1 is the most capable "out of the box" crawler."
"If you dont know how to fab, dont get a clod."
and finally
"Bla bla bla, Clods arent realistic, bla bla bla, I prefer a center tranny crawler, bla bla blawwwww."

I choose the TXT-1 and love it!!
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARK
I choose the TXT-1 and love it!!
Yo!... err wait... I choose the Jugg2 though a bit modded

If you want solid axles you've got plenty to choose from....

Motors part of axles: Clod Buster/Bull Head/Super Clod Buster <- all same rig.

Center Tranny: Jugg/TXT's, X-Factor, Mad Force, TLT-1, Bruiser/Mounty's, etc.

If you want more realistic rig then a center tranny is the way to go.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you want to do what Toyofast has as his avatar get a Clod
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
O.K. O.K. O.K. ......... I can sence the Pirate in you. I've noticed quite a few guys on this board that I know visit Pirate. I guess when I said "a ton" should have been said "quite a few". I've read enough to know that this is the place for tech on RC crawlers. Is that better?

I know there won't be a kit thats got all the best parts. I'm looking for more of a starter kit that will have decent parts to get started with. I don't mind a bit to buy upgraded parts as I get further into things. I know this will be a never ending project,probly very simular to my 87 Toyota x-cab crawler. Fullwidth SAS,EXO,dual cases,hysteer,All Pro springs,blah blah blah blah.

I talked with the guy at the local RC shop today. He recommended the E-maxx. He's kinda familiar with RC crawlers. He's more into highspeed racing but tinkers on a couple crawlers of his own. He strongly discouraged the Clod. He said they are VERY heavy and even with eliminating un-needed parts they are still heavier than other cars. His theory,and I kinda agree with him, is lighter cars will perform better and last longer on a single charge.

I was talking to my neighbor that fools with nitro powered RC stuff. He bought his son a E-maxx a while back. His son has drove it 4 times and decided he didn't like RC stuff. My neighbor told me he would sell me the E-maxx for $100.00. Would this be a good deal? Would it be a decent starter rig? My $100.00 would get me the truck,controler,charger and 2 batteries.

Thanks
Raptorman57
Old 05-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I can't believe that your LHS guy told you to buy a E-Maxx.... oh wait, yes I can. You know why right? 'Cause that's what will bring in more money. I bet that your LHS that you went into stocks 90% Traxxas parts. Tell your LHS to kiss the devils onion ring!!

You'll soon learn that you'll have to start buying parts over the internet, Tower Hobbies, RC4wd, Inetrc, TTR, etc. LHS are starting to loose out big time with this growing side of RC's.

Clods heavier? How? With Maxx trucks you not only have a center tranny, 2 motors, 2 batteries, 8 shocks, 3 servos, lots of moving parts and lots of wasted money but it will out weigh a Clod setup for crawling. A stock Clod weighs less than my Juggy and my Juggy is lighter than a E-Maxx.

If you want full width axles do this..... buy a TXT, wheel it untill you have mastered it's setup then swap in X-Factor axles and stick on Kongs.

Maxx's take more money/time/fab work to be made into a true crawler... IFS/IRS can only take you so far.

Quote:

'eh? I don't have no stinkin' Clod! I gots the one and only Da-Juggy! It floats too Only with the Kongs though

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Definately buy the e-maxx. You could either make your own axels using the diff's and knuckles or you could sell everything but the electronics and tranny, and buy x-factor axels and make your own crawler.
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey all,and yes I'm new to this RC stuff. This is an awesome board,I've read a ton of stuff already,I'm hooked.

Search newbie this topic has been covered

You want a clod, they have the lowest COG, you dont have to deal with driveshafts, VERY strong axles (im running the biggest baddest motors, with twice as much voltage as they're supposed to get and I have NO problems) Steering is easy to set up on them, and they're pretty cheap.

Also the aftermarket for them is HUGE, they ahve been around longer than any other RC talked about on here (that I know of) Check out Jay Kopycinski's site w/ his RC stuff, he has a clod that he's rebuilt several times (and an E-Maxx, but who cares about that
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I talked with the guy at the local RC shop today. He recommended the E-maxx. He's kinda familiar with RC crawlers. He's more into highspeed racing but tinkers on a couple crawlers of his own. He strongly discouraged the Clod. He said they are VERY heavy and even with eliminating un-needed parts they are still heavier than other cars. His theory,and I kinda agree with him, is lighter cars will perform better and last longer on a single charge.
Clods heavy? Sure the axles are heavy but they dont have a tranny, drivelines or anything... Look at them compared to 60's... Sure they're heavy... BUT WHO GIVES A DAMN I actually dont think they're bad at all.

My crawler weighs just over 9 pounds, and thats with dual batteries, 6-32 and 8-32 hardware. Dont forget, 80% of that weight is right on the axles and tires, holding you to the ground.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Clods definatly seem to have the advantage for CG. They might be a little easyer to keep together because there is no center dives. Seems the maxx sliders can only take so much. The clod axles have the motors mounted on the axles so the direct drive, thats nice. The only reason I went with jugg axles is to be as realistic as possible. I doubt that my rig will be as flexy as some of these clods.
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #12

"....Check out Jay Kopycinski's site...."
and that site would be...
Janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i'm making solid axles out of e-maxx axles, i'm just waiting for the parts, i hate that part of this hobby. i'll post pic of my axles when there are finished. and Jay's tricked out emaxx crawler is sweet and that proves that you can turn that e-maxx in to a good crawler.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janders
"....Check out Jay Kopycinski's site...."
and that site would be...
Here ya go.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk4/rcstuff/

Well, I got the EMAXX the other day. Concidering the price I don't think I can complain any. It's fun as hell in stock form but can't wait to start digging into it.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #15

What type of shoks are ya gonna use?
High elevation Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

The last reply to this thread was over a year ago. I know for a fact that it is done by now.

Prolly should send him a PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

I never even began building the maxx into a crawler,to much junk to fool with. Glad to see that some are using the search feature though.

I chose a Twin Force and have run probly 6 different types of shocks so far.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #18
Colt Python/SR9c

WOW... yeah it's nice to see people bring old threads alive because they used the search feature

But Steve just didn't have the knowledge to be able to build a maxx crawler. I was highly surprised he built what he has now. With his knowledge( lack of), he should have just built a clod
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 AM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
But Steve just didn't have the knowledge to be able to build a maxx crawler. I was highly surprised he built what he has now. With his knowledge( lack of),
I never have claimed to be the brightest,remember,I'm just a dumb bricklayer.

Seriously though,I've still got the maxx(in pieces),I just didn't feel like fooling with building the straight axles. It would be just to damn time consuming. You've done so many of them by now you could probly build both axles in 30 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
he should have just built a clod
Know common,thats hittin below the belt Jeremy,I ain't that stupid. Even I can tell the difference between junk and a jewel.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #20
Colt Python/SR9c

HAHAHA lmao
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote