Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Who's from the south?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Who's from the south?

What the hell are all these 1980 hilux crawler guys talking about?Yeah sure you could have a 1980 Hilux mud truck with those stock axles?Yeah as long as theres your stock whatever 80-90?hp?But HEY! what if we do what we usually do?I used to live in FLORIDA so i kind of know what i'm talking about.It's one thing to crawl over rocks slow with your Marlin crawler and 98 horsepower rig that does that well.If you want to run with the big boys here youre gonna need a whole of a hell of a lot more.A lot of you rock crawler guys will be in a
heap of trouble (excuse my use of the classical smokey and the bandit term)
Mud trucks need horsepower it's not just that 98 hp you need to scale over some...some...well whatever kind of rocks you scale over
TNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Who's from the south?

I know there's some rednecks from TGW.It's all about the mud trucks.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

It's all about the mud trucks.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I live in south west Florida and go out 1:1 mudding every Sunday. Your right to an extent. I've seen plenty of 4 banger jeeps on rice n cane tires go better then some of the built big blocks on 2½ ton axles. When it comes to mud its about cutting weight and big tires to "float" across the mud rather then trying to just barrel through it with the throttle down. I had a 78 f250 on 44s and a 460 but my 88 comanchee on 38's with a 4 banger went through a lot more stuff. Mud wasn't flying as high in the jeep but it almost always made it out of the hole on its own.
AlvaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I get what your saying, in flotation in the tires but it's also a matter of power to weight ratio somewhat(let me try to spell that right cause i know a lotta folks are watchin my ass )Well it's simple math if you need to figure something out?44's and a 460 sounds impressive maybe?44 swampers or boggers are bad ass only if you have the power to spin the tires which most redneck's don't.Rule no.1 big tires don't work without big horsepower.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I agree that wheel speed is needed to clean truck tires but tractor tires basically clean themselves without too much trouble. Yes the power to weight ratio is important. Most of those 4 banger rock crawler guys choose torque over wheel speed in order to be able to run bigger tires without killing the motor. It's either torque or speed with small engines unlike a big block which gives you both. Imo those crawler guys with they're low cog would get laughed at if they tried to run they're little trucks down here in the swamps cause they wouldn't be able to handle the deep water and mud.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I know there's still a few guys from California asking why?You could crawl over that rock with like 9 horsepower.Well boys today isn't frickin sunday and i still have a dick and Well it just wouldn't feel right to not open up an American v8 to it's full glory on a day like this...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Amen brother, American muscle is a beautiful thing
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Im from S.C. and currently stationed in fort hood tx. I believe there is a difference between southern and texan though. Back home it was the american v8 small blocks that ruled the mud. 4 bangers and most (not all) v6s didnt have the grunt to get big tires slinging muck. Dont get me wrong they worked decently but to a point. Then the huge torque heavy weight big block rigs just had too much weight over all. Great for pulling stuff but usally sunk like a rock in the really gooey stuff. Now small blocks with middle of the road engine weight in a short bed truck with massive mudding tires worked the best. Even better when it was a trans plant in a smaller truck like a s10 ranger or toyo. You could pull almost the same horses as a big block with less weight. One of the best rigs I saw was a late 70's bronco with a ford 400 in it. Same torq as a 460 a lot lighter once you yanked all the smog crap off.
That being said though the best ever mudder I have ever been in was a 4 banger. It was a 70 super beetle done baja style nasty mud tires on the back ribbed tractor tires on the front and something like a 2110 engine in it. Flat bottom and great power to weigt ratio made it unstoppable.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote

Who's from the south? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Carolina boy headed to south jersey for the week jeremyfowler33 New Jersey 10 02-23-2012 09:58 PM
Anybody in the way south? ghtpdm5 Minnesota 9 03-13-2011 01:01 AM
South Park jason Chit Chat 5 10-09-2006 09:09 AM