Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axle how tight is too tight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axle how tight is too tight?

I am building a wreckluse with scx10 axles. I am running gcm lockers with underdruve axial gears. I also have beef tubes and used some waterproof grease on the gears. Once eveything is bolted down am i suppose to be able to turn the input shaft by hand? I cant. I dont know if this is normal
natskiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Axle how tight is too tight?

Yeah you need to be able to rotate that with one finger or something's wrong.Not kidding.
TNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It is wrong, it should spin very easily. Take it apart and go one step at a time. Install just the gears and see how they spin. If it's good then install one shaft at a time.

With lockers like these the setscrews centre the shafts, and if they're not centred they will cause resistance. What I did is mark one screw side of the locker, I used a marker. Working with one shaft at a time, try to have the screws in the same amount and tight, and spin the shaft. If you feel resistance loosen one screw (let's say the side you marked and remember this) and tighten the other, maybe just 1/2 turn. Test again and depending if it's better or worse continue loosening one side and tightening the other until it spins well. Repeat for the other side.

Let us know how it goes.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I noticed with these GCM lockers that there is definitely a lot of wobble as I cant get the shafts centered. Will try your suggestion.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yeah yeah ,i noticed the wobble with RC4WD wheels, can't (as far as i know) get narrower hexes which to my knowledge could correct the wobble.Stock wheels don't wobble even half as much.The only difference is the wheel hex depth!To my knowledge this is at the moment is an incurable problem.Axial stock wheels seem to have a HEX depth of roughly 1mm more than the RC4WD wheels and this seems to cause all of the wobbling and it's f'n bs .This is just the kind of bs that will put people off,Yeah nice hobby son, you spent a grand on that chassis you'd think it wouldn't wobble like that.Yeah i would sure hope so too but no.No, it wobbles like an old Lasol
TNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

narrow hub: TowerHobbies.com | Axial Aluminum Hub Narrow 12mm Black (4)
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Could also be the pinion bearing isn't set fully.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Question outdrive shafts

Im not completly new to rc crawling but i bought a scale crawler all custom built and very time i try to drive it my outdrive shafts snap...anyone else had this problem? if so how can i fix it?
RcCrawlerDude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Update:

Swapped the GCM lockers with another set of HR lockers and works flawless now. I can spin with one hand

Im sure the GCM lockers are bulletproof but I just couldnt get the set screw to center the shafts properly
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natskiboy View Post
Update:

Swapped the GCM lockers with another set of HR lockers and works flawless now. I can spin with one hand

Im sure the GCM lockers are bulletproof but I just couldnt get the set screw to center the shafts properly
I had the same problem with another brand of lockers. The type that have the 4 set screws. Even in AR60's I could not get the drag out of them. I ended up with VP lockers and let me say they are fool proof.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axle how tight is too tight? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nuts are very tight fitting in axle slot, force or dremel shave? Mysterious Axial XR10 13 01-17-2013 07:54 AM
aluminum C's into plastic axle housing not staying tight warfish Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 06-13-2011 02:08 PM
Axle c's wont stay tight! rottenbelly Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 03-26-2009 12:16 PM
Tight axle tubes; how to budge them? Badmuthatrucker EnRoute Berg 7 02-11-2009 07:45 PM
Tight? HPI_Savage25 HPI Wheely King 7 03-20-2008 10:57 PM