Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lipo storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lipo storage

My ac6 charger has a storage mode but it only runs them down to 3.8v per cell does this sound right? And my discharge on the charger only lets the batteries run down to 3.6v per cell but is set to go down to 6v. These r 2s sky lipos been cycled probably close to 20-25 times
bigred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: Lipo storage

You don't want them fully charged or discharged, just somewhere in between. If a pack is dead, I'll bring it up to roughly half capacity. If its fresh I'll throw it in a rig and drive it around a bit.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So y does it charge them to 8.4v when there 7.4v packs? I dont know to much about lipos and do life packs do better in the cold cuz I think I got my lipos to cold today and now there not as peppy. Almost like its hitting lipo cutoff then have to double tap throttle to get a burst
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

A fully charged lipo has 4.2 volts/cell hence a 2s would be 8.4

7.4 would be 3.7 volts/cell wich is halfway between 4.2(max) and 3.2 the lowest you EVER want your lipo to reach. 7.4 is a nominal voltage rating.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
happymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Then y not lable them as 8.4v? But may have ruined them to cuz I was using the default lupo cutoff setting which it doesn't specify what volt cutoff is. Running the stock axial esc but changed it to 6.6v now
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
R_2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Lipo storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred22 View Post
Then y not lable them as 8.4v? But may have ruined them to cuz I was using the default lupo cutoff setting which it doesn't specify what volt cutoff is. Running the stock axial esc but changed it to 6.6v now

Them packs should be fine with default Auto cut off.. If AE-2 has same as cc sidewinder (practically same esc with less features..) the default cut off is 3,2V per cell witch is more than fine. 3V is the absolute minimum for lipo cells..

And lipos do NOT like cold, when winter flying my planes, I keep my batteries at my pocket.. If I keep them at my field box at -10c, teh plane is loosing almost half of its power.. but if I put warm pack on it and go fly, the discharge/iR keeps it warm enough even at sky in airflow..
R_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred22 View Post
Why is a 2x4 not actually 2 inches by 4 inches? Why is my subway footlong 11-1/2"? Fully charged nimh batteries read higher voltage when fully charged than their stated voltage also.

According to the manual my tekin B1R in my MRC is set to 6V (too low IMO) and I'm to cheap to buy a Hotwire so I run an LVA set at 3.4V a cell. I also like the idea of measuring each cell not just the 2 or 3 cells in series. One cell might drop off faster than another especially in older packs.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Last edited by happymachinist; 02-18-2013 at 04:06 AM.
happymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_2 View Post
Them packs should be fine with default Auto cut off.. If AE-2 has same as cc sidewinder (practically same esc with less features..) the default cut off is 3,2V per cell witch is more than fine. 3V is the absolute minimum for lipo cells..

And lipos do NOT like cold, when winter flying my planes, I keep my batteries at my pocket.. If I keep them at my field box at -10c, teh plane is loosing almost half of its power.. but if I put warm pack on it and go fly, the discharge/iR keeps it warm enough even at sky in airflow..
They run good as soon as I get outside now yesterday was a bit cold only 20f but I can get at least an hour of ryn time outta mt 5000 packs. Now within 20 min of good punch they just quit and started acting up so dont know if they were getting to cold or whats up with them

Lipo storage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo storage natskiboy Electronics 1 11-25-2012 07:48 PM
Lipo storage Jus Electronics 4 03-11-2011 12:13 PM
lipo storage? DannyDodge Electronics 7 01-04-2011 09:09 AM
storage charge a lipo kmrunner Newbie General 5 01-25-2010 05:07 PM
Safe Lipo Storage sbarnesvta Electronics 5 11-23-2009 07:07 PM