Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking for RS4/3 suspension for IFS/IRS SCX10 conversion....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Looking for RS4/3 suspension for IFS/IRS SCX10 conversion....

i recently restarted on a long term project that i started a year ago due to my work schedule finally dieing down and im working normal hours. Its basically a SCX10 based trail/light crawling rig with IRS and IFS. Ive recently mocked up a set of really old TA02 front and rear gear boxes with the buggy arms conversion (sort of a long travel type of suspension) and needless to say im not to keen on it. It leaves me with preactically no room to mount annything on top of the gear boxes to house a battery or electronics - not to mention the gear boxes themselves are a little chunky and not sure how it will hold up to the abuse (ill post up pics of the setup when i get home, im currently at work typing this). Not really looking to run brushless just yet due to a budget im trying to stick with since this is basically junkyard type of build, all i had to pay for was the proline tubular chassis which i think gives it a great look. So i did research and i found that a lot of guys are using the RS4/3 front ends to convert to IFS, but where have you been able to find the complete suspension assemblies? Ive checked Ebay and ive only found fully built RTRs, which is by far what i dont need. Also, is there a way to bolt on longer suspension arms to the RS4/3 bulkheads? I think the stock width on a RS4/3 with 1.9s is abpout 9 inches or so IIRC.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for RS4/3 suspension for IFS/IRS SCX10 conversion....

If you look through the threads on the IFS SCX's you'll find the width is pretty darn close to an scx10 axle.

There are a lot of variations on the width, there's the Drifter width, RS4 3+ Evo width (more common), Super Rally width, RS4MT width, and MT2 width. (In ascending order)

For my IFS SCX build I pieced together the front components from ebay, rather than buying an entire vehicle. I went through the user manual exploded view, and bought all the parts that I needed. It took a little work, but in the end it was about the same price as getting an SCX10 front axle.

Most of the parts were purchased from RC dismantlers (they take a kit, pull it apart and sell chunks of parts rather than part by part.)

Another option would be to buy a "roller" or rolling chassis.

The really nice thing with the RS4 gearboxes is they fit pretty much any Ring/Pinion gear that will fit in an SCX10 axle.

Hope this helps.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
If you look through the threads on the IFS SCX's you'll find the width is pretty darn close to an scx10 axle.

There are a lot of variations on the width, there's the Drifter width, RS4 3+ Evo width (more common), Super Rally width, RS4MT width, and MT2 width. (In ascending order)

For my IFS SCX build I pieced together the front components from ebay, rather than buying an entire vehicle. I went through the user manual exploded view, and bought all the parts that I needed. It took a little work, but in the end it was about the same price as getting an SCX10 front axle.

Most of the parts were purchased from RC dismantlers (they take a kit, pull it apart and sell chunks of parts rather than part by part.)

Another option would be to buy a "roller" or rolling chassis.

The really nice thing with the RS4 gearboxes is they fit pretty much any Ring/Pinion gear that will fit in an SCX10 axle.

Hope this helps.
It actually does help a lot. Thanks for the information! I'll Google other places I can get the parts from and also just watch eBay for the smaller stuff.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I finally got some pics of my IFS/IRS project. This project is a bit fustrating with the TA02 front and rear suspension setups. Im on the fence on whether to just go with the TA02 gear boxes or continue to try to find the RS4 Evo 3 front and rear suspension setups. Kind of want to do this on a budget, but...when something doesnt work, it just doesnt work. Heres the photos in case anyone wants to lend some good advice/comments:

Ill be running 1.9 OMF beadlock wheels and tires which im sure the TA02 suspension can handle them.
Heres the shot of the front so far, i had to widen the frame to mount the gear boxes with TLT mounts bolted to the stock body mount holes. Seems like a good mount for right now, not sure how i will make the second mount....

Shot of the rear mocked up and mounted like the front gearbox.

Shot of the front all mocked up and just *kinda* put together. A Proline tube chassis will be bolted to the SCX10 chassis. That TA02 gearboxes are stock with the Tamiya Blazing Star arms and dogbones.

Just a side view, i got to figure out how to lower the body some.

So after looking at my project, now you know why im looking into a RS4 front and rear lol
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This is a cool idea, I got a TA02, wheels are a turning
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I actually threw on the TA02 F150 baja body and i gotta say, it looks way better with that body on. Still looking for the HPI suspension, but...it makes me want to build it that much more now, since the body will free up a lot of room the tube chassis just didnt give me.

Looking for RS4/3 suspension for IFS/IRS SCX10 conversion.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI RS4 MT2 conversion J Mann Non Crawler RC's 4 01-24-2011 04:20 AM
XC/CC.. Hummer IFS/IRS suspension help tips wanted toyofast Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 03-24-2005 09:40 PM
Anyone else still running IFS/IRS for crawling? CrawlinForLife Traxxas Crawlers 3 02-03-2005 03:19 PM
question bout ifs and irs MudBoGGinMaxX Traxxas Crawlers 1 11-15-2004 04:07 PM
IFS / IRS questions SlinkySam General Crawlers 16 04-26-2004 05:50 AM