Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4-Link Tech Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 4-Link Tech Question

Hello all
Working on a little project and was needing some input from the seasoned crawlers and builders. Please take a look at the included drawings. Option "A" shows the lower link in front of the axle on the centerline. Option "B" shows the lower link 45 degrees above centerline. Curious if option "A" would cause any problems being in front of the axle. Everything I've seen for the most part is either above or below the axle on the centerline of it. Let me know what you think. Probably will try both ways just for grins when I get around to making the parts for the project. Thanks in advance for all that can help or suggest. I've also included a top view of all this to better show where everything is at.

RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4-Link Tech Question

option A will most likely rotate the pinion angle upward upon articulation
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

That’s kinda odd….on Option B you have the links converging in front of the chassis.

How can you tell about the pinion rotation…..under articulation or upward travel?

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

imo either way will be fine. the axle is only articulating. Its not absorbing impact or traveling far enough to cause that much rotation. but what do i know?
jtothec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

on option "B" the axle will try to roll up under the chassis when you give it throttle on the rear axle and roll out on your front axle. anyway thats what happened to mine with them all mounted near the top of the axle. i hope that made sense. "B" gives you a little more clearence.
by the way nice drawings.
NICKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Option B would be weaker than A purely due to how close the links are on the axle. When you mount links close to the same plane the torque effects put a lot of load on the links and you would be ripping ballends off threads all the time.

Also as the links are both above the axle the rear axle will want to drive 'under' the links. Better design would be to have a link pretty much the same distance below and above the axle.

The amount of triangulation you have looks good.

You can get more clearance with Option A by bending the lower links.
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Alrighty, did a bit of rearranging and have come up with yet another option. Seems they are endless while working in CAD. Anyway, those that have given their opinions on option "A" and "B", have a look at option "C". From what I gather, this would possibly work better than "A" or "B". I know ride height looks a little outrageous, still sorting all that out. My link mount pieces will have various hole locations so I can experiment and prove first hand what works, what doesn't and how each are different to myself. I don't doubt anyone of your comments ecspecially MudCow, spent a lot of time on your site Lemme know what ya think guys. Hopefully nobody will figure out exactly what I am working on No big secret if ya do.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I don't see anything wrong with option A the geometry looks good and it has better ground clearance then option C. Three will be a little more force on the links but I don't see that being in issue in this hobby. Option B is just funky I would think it could work fine if you move the axle end upper mounts up a bit.

Personally I am going to try and get my front links parrallel when viewed from the side trying to reduce any funky anti squat/dive tire lifting if at all possible.

I also will be doing like you mentioned and making several mounting points for the links at the frame so I can adjust things and play with it.
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Option c would be the strongest. I would go for option c. If you want more clearance bend the lower links. Just keep in mind that when the top links are not parallel to the bottom links the axle's caster will either progress or degress depending on if the angle between the top links and lower. This usually isn't an issue for the driveshafts but can affect steering under suspension compression.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

"C" looks like it would work the best. That's pretty much how mine is set-up and I like it. I think my link mounts, on chassis, are a little closer together.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Option B is the same thing Dirk did here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/article2.html

Nobody told Dirk he was wrong.

But then again Dirk is a big bastard...Looks like he just might whoop our asses for telling him he's wrong.

Bill is a little smaller, though.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

It's the amount of link separation that makes Dirks work. Dirks upper links are above the lower links enough to minimize the the amount the axle walks under the truck.

As far as options A,B,and C, I pick C and then raise the upper links another 1/4 of an inch more.

But then you know what they say about opinions
'Pony
Slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Yeah, Dirk's uppers are a hair higher.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

When making a 4-link the vertical separation between the links on the axle end should ALWAYS be more than the vertical separation on the frame... Its just how link suspensions work ;)

I would say absolutely NO to B. Also, having your lowers on the bottom of the axle, and having the uppers on the top side (instead of both up top) you will put WAY less strain on your ends and links. So I'm leaning towards C
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like "C" will be the winner and a good starting point. Can always tune on stuff. Thanks for all the quick replies and suggestions as well as experiences, appreciate it! This project is a loooooooong way from being done but soon as I get suspension hung under it, I'll get pics up.

Thanks again!!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
When making a 4-link the vertical separation between the links on the axle end should ALWAYS be more than the vertical separation on the frame... Its just how link suspensions work ;)

I would say absolutely NO to B. Also, having your lowers on the bottom of the axle, and having the uppers on the top side (instead of both up top) you will put WAY less strain on your ends and links. So I'm leaning towards C
I have to agree with Dave on this one...... OPTION B would SUCK! thats kinda how my first tube turned out and it sucked! way to much squat! I've also studied double trianglated 4 link design in some good deatail and even have designed and help build a 1:1 4-link setup. you need the links to converge from the side view pointing forward. So with that sai d A nd C are better options.......

Plug your suspension numbers into this program and it will help you out. Basically I would recommend a AS (antiswat number of around 85% ish) and low Center of gravity with a high flat roll axis and no rear steer.

4link design program
ExcelCAD - http://www.gregblanchette.com/pages/1/index.htm
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote