Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Decided to build my 1st crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
www.ottsix.com

Default Re: Decided to build my 1st crawler

I'm not too hip on your transmission choice...you might want to look into an Axial or R2.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
God bless Google! I use Sketchup when I'm on the run and have some crazy thought dart around between my ears...Google Drive, the best thing that's ever happened to the internet!

Cutting and drilling this is going to be hella fun without a mill of some sort.
Google offers some amazing services for free, no doubt.

Cutting and drilling should be time consuming but the real trick is to make sure I get everything measured out correctly and square.

Quote:
I'm not too hip on your transmission choice...you might want to look into an Axial or R2.
I'm sure a transmission like the Axial, which was designed for crawlers, would be better than the Traxxas, but I kind of like using the parts from one truck to make another. What about the Traxxas makes it a poor choice exactly? I have the diff locked in the Traxxas so at least I will get equal power front to back from it.
Maverick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
www.ottsix.com

The gearing is all wrong....I just worry that you're going to spend a lot of time getting things mounted up and then have to bust it down too make major modifications so you can install a transmission that's made for crawling.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The gearing is all wrong....I just worry that you're going to spend a lot of time getting things mounted up and then have to bust it down too make major modifications so you can install a transmission that's made for crawling.
I don't know about that. If I recall correctly the stampede trans/slash trans is 2.6:1 reduction. So is a axial trans. Wk are 2.4:1 and thy crawl just fine w big tires even.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I don't know about that. If I recall correctly the stampede trans/slash trans is 2.6:1 reduction. So is a axial trans. Wk are 2.4:1 and thy crawl just fine w big tires even.
I'm not worried about it not being super low gearing. My expectations for this build aren't super high(it IS my first crawler....and build) so if there is no chance it could ever win a comp it's not like I'm going to be disappointed. Honestly if the gearing is a little high that's fine with me, maybe it will be more fun to "bash" in the back yard with, even if the crawling isn't amazing.

Haven't done much progress in the last couple days, been pretty busy with other stuff. I should be getting a 1/8 sheet of aluminum next week sometime. Once I get that I can get everything marked out on it, then drill & cut the pieces. I still haven't stopped by Ace to see if they have the hardware I want to use or if I will have to order it. I did see Harbor Freight sells some hardware kits that would be good if I didn't need metric hardware.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Use a small-ish pinion and it might be ok...but I'm not a fan of plastic gears, but that's just me.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Use a small-ish pinion and it might be ok...but I'm not a fan of plastic gears, but that's just me.

I should be able to switch it to 32p gears and pretty much gear it however I want with those. As far as plastic, I think the stock spur is plastic but everything else is metal if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I had the trans apart last.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
www.ottsix.com

Well, there you go, that'll be a good learning experience

Decided to build my 1st crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler King....My 1st crawler build wyd HPI Wheely King 71 12-19-2014 09:05 AM
1st crawler build from parts I've collected. mr_manny General Crawlers 30 08-23-2008 09:54 PM
1st tlt crawler build eyerace Newbie General 5 08-06-2006 08:51 PM
1st Crawler build ever aussie_N_B Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 07-04-2006 02:15 AM