Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: big rc name missing in crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default big rc name missing in crawling?

Ok I have looked around a bit and relised there is a huge name brand completely missing from the crawler world.
Team Associated. This absence from an area of competition rc baffles me. In every othe aspect of rc cars and trucks they are there and very competitive. I own and have owned several of their rc models. Some of the best rc's I have ever owned
So I wonder why this absence? Especially since their biggest rival on the track is in on it.
Is there room for Associated in the crawler market?
Would anyone here give an AE built crawler a chance?

Sorry just random thoughts. I would jump at the chance at an AE crawler. I think they could take on my favorite crawler builder Axial if they tried.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #2

Default Re: big rc name missing in crawling?

I think they are more focused on racing on a pro/ club level. They do produce excellent race vehicles which are rarely new designs but refined,improved,models. They really haven't come out with anything completely new for awhile. Even their 4wd 1/10 race buggy was desinged by someone else and when it got popular they refined it and started mass producing it. Don't get me wrong I love AE for my race vehicles. They are just not basher focused. Remember the MGT,the MGT 2,and the MGT 3.0 they were not really strong sellers,Their buisness is racing and they do it well.
wraith6802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This has been talked about years ago. Right with people more focused on scalers in this hobby they can't really justify releasing a kit of any sort. Shit they make badass trucks, buggys, and cars. Still the fact that if a factory team crawler came out by them, it would be really pricey. I still like the roots of this hobby of gathering parts, machining some of you own shit and tweaking and tuning it. Also I don't want to be tied to an over priced kit where all I want is just the axles.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'd probably buy one ;) But i have to agree they are more focused on the racing vehicles. When you buy an AE its to race it. When you buy an AE to bash it it breaks usually... And i love AE cars :-p
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I know Losi did it, after being bought out by horizon, but the discontinued the line if I'm not mistaken. Associated has never really jumped on the popular niche market of the month like some have. Their focus has always been racing.
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Associated has always been focused on Racing. Not bashers or crawlers.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I have to disagree..the original rc10 was a great basher..lol I raced it abit and bashed it more. I was the toughest car out at the time imo.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
So I wonder why this absence? Especially since their biggest rival on the track is in on it.
Is there room for Associated in the crawler market?
Would anyone here give an AE built crawler a chance?

Sorry just random thoughts. I would jump at the chance at an AE crawler. I think they could take on my favorite crawler builder Axial if they tried.
My guess is similar to what a couple others have already said. Losi was in on it for a while competitively, but have since dropped the Mini Pro and Comp Crawler. They still offer the RTR counterparts as an entry level setup, but will require some work to make competitive (true competition rigs). Even Losi doesn't offer a "real" trail rig (Twin Hammers not being counted due to being under the Vaterra Name).

Crawling and trail rigs are a fiercely niche market. Like someone said earlier, will the kit be sold under the Factory Team guise or perhaps in a kit where only the axles are wanted?

That alone cuts down the potential sales numbers and target market.

Since Losi went to Horizon, I have become less and less of a fan, but for some unknown personal reason, still prefer Losi designs over Associated.

When you think about it, there are only about 4 "big" names in crawling in all forms of it. Axial, Losi, Berg, Tamiya (to an extent), RC4WD and several others who really do not have a controlling interest in the hobby. HPI, Kyosho, Traxxas, Etc.

My measly $.02

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I love my AE SC10, my first real R.C. Got one because my neighbor got one. Not a big fan of the track scene which in my opinion is all they are good for. Then I bought a wraith. I can run it anywhere. Then I found this site. Hooked on scale and crawling now. AE makes an awesome race truck, can't speak for there other cars. The quality is awesome. Wish they would come out with a crawler-basher. I would trade my SC10 for one.
wraithfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #10

If they ever make one I would buy it. Ive been a fan since I saved my allowance for months to get the original rc10t back in 1992. Would have to be reedy or trinity powered and able to out crawl the losis.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
JCTINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
I have to disagree..the original rc10 was a great basher..lol I raced it abit and bashed it more. I was the toughest car out at the time imo.
the old rpm ultra molded rc10 chassis conversions were tough as nails.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #12

Im a little late to this party, but its crossed my mind also why we dont see AE with a crawler offereing. Same with the current status of Losi. Losi jumped into the crawler niche and then backed off. Im guessing that sales just werent there to warrent a slow seller like the LCC to continue. To me the NC looks like it offers a ton of bang for the buck for a novice crawler wanting a simple start, but there is realy no aftermarket support that I can find.

I was into crawlers back in 2010. I took a break from them after a year or so, and due to some desire to get back into modeling and RC again, Im looking to build another crawler of some sort. But in general it appears that there are far less RTR rigs available now 3 years later. Is the crawler niche dying? Is the economy driving peeps away from RC hobbies in general? Is the sport of RC crawling killing itself with peeps building their own DIY rigs with hardware store chassis or aftermarket chassis?
whatwasithinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

AE is owned by Thunder Tiger who DO make bashers. so really they would be competing against themselves if they did so I can't see them doing it.

I think the comp crawler market is really too small to make any large company sit up and take notice. Scalers though. I think that segment is growing extremely fast, also evidenced by other companies breaking into the scene. I'd expect to see a lot more of those in the near future.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote

big rc name missing in crawling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
big thumbs up for crawling dcviper Redcat Crawlers 9 06-26-2011 10:44 AM
big cottonwood crawling krazycrawler888 Utah 4 06-22-2011 11:44 PM
How big is R/C crawling? JavelinSST390 Chit Chat 9 03-16-2008 12:04 AM
Is this the next big move in Crawling run2jeepn Chit Chat 7 05-26-2007 02:32 PM
Next big thing in crawling RetroCow Chit Chat 10 11-17-2006 11:42 AM