Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Backyard Crawler Course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Backyard Crawler Course

Anyone have any good tips on building a backyard crawler course? I'm mainly wondering what size rock to use? I have limited room so I want to build something I can change around fairly easily. Thanks in advance!
LooseMoose1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Backyard Crawler Course

Use whatever kind of rocks you can get your hands on. Anything from 100lb+ chunkers, down to the size of pea gravel will come in handy. If you search there are quite a few threads covering this. There's even a few multi-page threads with pictures of nothing but backyard courses.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStone View Post
Use whatever kind of rocks you can get your hands on. Anything from 100lb+ chunkers, down to the size of pea gravel will come in handy. If you search there are quite a few threads covering this. There's even a few multi-page threads with pictures of nothing but backyard courses.
I must be searching the wrong thing then because I've only found maybe 1 or 2 threads about them. But the ones I did find did have some good pics and gave me some good ideas. I have a spot picked out but I need to get some rock and was looking for rock size but nobody seems to list that in the threads I saw. I think I'm just going to go to the landscaper supply store and look at rocks. Thanks for the reply SStone!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am also looking for info, I have tried all sorts of searches. try searching RC crawler course images and get ideas that way. I am working on a rope bridge and looking for ideas, that helped. good luck.

Last edited by fj40jay; 04-03-2013 at 08:17 AM.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40jay View Post
I am also looking for info, I have tried all sorts of searches. try searching RC crawler course images and get ideas that way. I am working on a rope bride and looking for ideas, that helped. good luck.
Thanks fj40jay, good luck to you too!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseMoose1978 View Post
I must be searching the wrong thing then because I've only found maybe 1 or 2 threads about them. But the ones I did find did have some good pics and gave me some good ideas. I have a spot picked out but I need to get some rock and was looking for rock size but nobody seems to list that in the threads I saw. I think I'm just going to go to the landscaper supply store and look at rocks. Thanks for the reply SStone!
I'm not sure how "quite" slipped in there but I meant to just type "are a few". My bad.

For some reason the Rally section has a sticky for Rally Tracks but we don't get a sticky for crawler/scaler tracks....

Anyways, the rock size is up to you. You want most of the rocks that are your main obstacles to be beefy enough to stay put. For example if you like ledges, find some 24"+ wide, 3"+ thick, flat rocks and go from there. You can mix rock shapes and sizes up however you like but obviously the flat ones are easier to stack and interlock. You will also want to collect a lot of smaller rocks that are roughly the size of a paper bill, some palm sized are good to have also... thin and thick. You can use these to shim the larger rocks to your liking.

I've had a small backyard rock garden set up in just about every way imaginable, for about 4 years now. I've been adding to it lately but my point is that it really is just trial and error. You may spend two days building a "trail", only to drive your rig on it and find that the entire thing needs to be redesigned. Or... you may get it laid out how you like it on the first try. I enjoy building courses, partially because I've done rock masonry and love the rock pile!!! I may post up a few pics of my current setup later this afternoon.

Last edited by SStone; 03-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStone View Post
I'm not sure how "quite" slipped in there but I meant to just type "are a few". My bad.

For some reason the Rally section has a sticky for Rally Tracks but we don't get a sticky for crawler/scaler tracks....

Anyways, the rock size is up to you. You want most of the rocks that are your main obstacles to be beefy enough to stay put. For example if you like ledges, find some 24"+ wide, 3"+ thick, flat rocks and go from there. You can mix rock shapes and sizes up however you like but obviously the flat ones are easier to stack and interlock. You will also want to collect a lot of smaller rocks that are roughly the size of a paper bill, some palm sized are good to have also... thin and thick. You can use these to shim the larger rocks to your liking.

I've had a small backyard rock garden set up in just about every way imaginable, for about 4 years now. I've been adding to it lately but my point is that it really is just trial and error. You may spend two days building a "trail", only to drive your rig on it and find that the entire thing needs to be redesigned. Or... you may get it laid out how you like it on the first try. I enjoy building courses, partially because I've done rock masonry and love the rock pile!!! I may post up a few pics of my current setup later this afternoon.
Thanks SSTone! That's some good advise and I'll keep it in mind. I don't have a lot of room so I figured I'm going to have to play around with it to lay out a decent course. Is a landscaping supply store the best place to buy rock? And if you get a chance post some pics, I'd like to see your layout
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

when i built mine i got some 100 pound sand stone rocks from a contruction site and smashed them with a sledge hammer. arrange the pieces to make the course and go have fun
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloudone View Post
when i built mine i got some 100 pound sand stone rocks from a contruction site and smashed them with a sledge hammer. arrange the pieces to make the course and go have fun
So construction sites will just give you rock? That would be awesome since I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Another good place to check might be to ask around at landscape supply houses that sell pallets of rock. Ask them if they have any "cull" rocks that might be cheap or free. Also check Craigslist, and get word out to friends and family that you are hunting for some good rocks and you will be overwhelmed in no time hahaha. Someone you know may have land with rocks that will let you have some for free. I am currently regretting that I have never brought home any extra rocks from the rock jobs over the past 6 years. That will change soon.

Here's a few pictures of the current setup. Most of the large rocks are staying put but as you can see there are still areas that need some tlc. Sorry no r/c's in this one but the oak leaves should give you an idea of the size.

Keep in mind that it is still a major WIP. I need to make a run to get more rocks. I know someone with the beginnings of a quarry that said I can go pick out whatever rocks I want.

Sorry for the iPhone pictures.

Last edited by SStone; 03-28-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

here a link to a killer back yard course
Wolf Creek RC Scale Park
or do a search for the user name DRW_FJ40
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
RCC Addict

use whatever rocks you can get your hands on.. round, square, flat, jagged then toss them in a pile once you have the base you can start looking for rocks that look cool.. then start building obstacles within the rocks.. the size of rocks you need are as big as you can pick up by hand then down to softball sized... this is my rock "pile".. this is most of it there is lots of different sized rocks in here.

^^^ as you can see here we have made an obstacle just something for fun..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks SStone for all of the info, I appreciate it! Looks like you'll have a nice setup there! I think I'll try the landscape option first. Looks like I've got a busy weekend ahead! Once I get something started I will up some pics from my layout.

@freakofnature - that park is insane! Thanks for the link. I'll have to scroll through the whole thing after work. Pretty impressive. I wonder if I can talk the old lady into something like that Have you ever run there?

@AX10wannbe - course looks good! I like the "gamehendge" obstacle you got going on. The pics also help out quite a bit.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
RCC Addict

thats just my base layer the final touches will be done this year...
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
thats just my base layer the final touches will be done this year...
Nice! You'll have to up some pics once you're done!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Bought limestone 'rip rap' from the local Port here on the Mississippi River in northeast Louisiana for $28 a ton. Transported it ~500 pounds at a time in the back of my MPV mini van. So far I have 2500 pounds on the patio arranged 40"x15'. Have one pretty slick climb 40" up with a stepped 40" on the other side. Did it all by myself and limited the size of the rocks to what I could handle. Largest is about 80 pounds. Used cinder blocks to help get the elevation.

Am still adding/modifying things and haven't got it where I think I want it. Am also new to crawling and don't want to be able to 'clean' every obstacle easily. Probably gonna need another ton of rock before stepping back and giving it some serious use.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuthabubba View Post
Bought limestone 'rip rap' from the local Port here on the Mississippi River in northeast Louisiana for $28 a ton. Transported it ~500 pounds at a time in the back of my MPV mini van. So far I have 2500 pounds on the patio arranged 40"x15'. Have one pretty slick climb 40" up with a stepped 40" on the other side. Did it all by myself and limited the size of the rocks to what I could handle. Largest is about 80 pounds. Used cinder blocks to help get the elevation.

Am still adding/modifying things and haven't got it where I think I want it. Am also new to crawling and don't want to be able to 'clean' every obstacle easily. Probably gonna need another ton of rock before stepping back and giving it some serious use.
I was thinking rip rap would be perfect. That's awesome you used the minivan for hauling. Part of my situation is that I don't have a truck. I guess I'm gonna have to use my stratus to haul rock! I agree that I want something challenging but adjustable. I think running the same course over and over would get boring. I think I might "steal" the cinder block idea too, sounds like a good way to make a base and get height with less rock. If you get a chance post some pics
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Cant wait for some pictures. I am starting mine tomorrow, I cleared out a spot today and brought home 900lbs of rock so far..
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=smokediver;4251574]Cant wait for some pictures. I am starting mine tomorrow, I cleared out a spot today and brought home 900lbs of rock so far..[/Q

Good luck smoke! I'm starting clearing on mine this weekend, no rock yet.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

My only current www access is from my Droid phone. Which I don't get along with very well. Give me an email addy and I can maybe send a pic.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Backyard Crawler Course - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
---foster's backyard crawler course--- bhmike General Scale Talk 4 07-12-2010 01:44 PM
Backyard Crawler Course navycrawler Newbie General 22 09-10-2006 03:45 PM
My tractor's a crawler now, and my backyard. trickedoutTLT06 Chit Chat 15 09-01-2006 07:53 PM
backyard crawler maybe? yamaharider308a Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 06-29-2006 08:03 PM
Backyard crawler! Lt. Dan General Crawlers 15 12-27-2005 06:46 PM