Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tire clearance and some cheap parts wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tire clearance and some cheap parts wanted

HI I just got my 1/6 jeep and the rear shocks have been removed all together and some tire foam has been stuffed in between the top of the chassis and the blue arms where they mount above the rear axle, which makes it a little tipsy but also gives it ,IMO, the perfect amount of flex, But the rear tires rub into the wheel well. Now I know this is a simple problem with a simple solution, but i was wonder how many different ways there are to fix this and if maybe some other mod would correct it with out having to cut up the rear wheel well. I plan on a TT and maybe a small lift. This thing crawls so well right now I dont really want to change much. I was thinking of doin' a dove tail rear which i know would fix it but I'm not that handy and havnt seen one for sale yet. I'v read through most of these threads and have seen nothing on this, maybe because its a dumb Question but I only have one of these and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks
Also mine came missing the passanger seat and the tube or Nerf bars under the doors so if any one has these i'd be interested along with just one extra wheel and tire to mount as a spare somewhere on the jeep.. And has anyone found a nice roll bar set up for the front of these that would protect the hood above the headlights whenit rolls.
I know this was lenghty, but thanks for your input.

Last edited by -BIGMAXX-; 09-16-2006 at 12:23 AM.
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
[HOONIGAN]

The only options you have for clearence are to cut up the body, lift the body, or dove tail the body. The second two I would highly recomend avoiding. If you want just cut the wheels wells a little larger. I would just leave them alone though, just let them rubb a little. You can still get plenty of flex with the wheel wells limiting the up travel. As far a lifting the whole thing or just the body, bad idea. It will just raise the cog and make you roll more. These thing have a horrible cog to begin with and raising anything just makes it worse. On the dovetail, if your not that handy I would not recomend it. It's alot of plastic work and precise angle cutting and what not. Then you have to mount the body a different way because with the rear end narrowed the rear body mount tabs will not be able to unhook all of the way because they will hit the body. That's even if you decide to keep them when you dovetail, because for it to look the best you would want to cut half of them off. Anyways, prolly not the best idea if your no to handy. Just comp cut the rear, stretch the wheel base, do a tt, get a F&F batt, reverse and cut the tires, outboard the rear motor and you'll be good. If you think it crawls good now, wait till you do all of these mods, you'll be super impressed. Anf then of course if you have some extra $$, get some Moab XL's, by far the best mod and investment you could make.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

dovetailing the body, in my opinion, is the coolest thing to do. not too many people have done it, and even fewer have done a clean job of it. I am working on one now with the jeep i recently got. I may do a writeup on how to do it when i get finished.
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodzach
dovetailing the body, in my opinion, is the coolest thing to do. not too many people have done it, and even fewer have done a clean job of it. I am working on one now with the jeep i recently got. I may do a writeup on how to do it when i get finished.
-Dalton
I agree, a dovetailed body is the best looking body mod by far. It is also one of the more complicated body mods. Since -BIGMAXX- said that he wasn't that handy though, I think it would be too complicated. Definetly post up pics on how yours turns out.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I swear Dalton has got to be one of the best RC Bodymen i've seen! that guy's crazy, check out project C-4 he did a cool dovetail on a hummer
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #6