Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Bodies and frames

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

Default Bodies and frames

Hi guys. I'm really interested in the 11.3" wheelbase RC4WD Blazer body, but I'm also really interested in the Traxxas TRX-4 frame. From my research, it doesn't seem like the Blazer will drop on the frame without some serious mods. So I'm considering using the SCX-10 ii chassis instead, since Axial has an 11.4" conversion kit. I've seen some builds using this combination, so I think it's pretty do-able.

I also have the Tamiya Tundra High-Lift with the MFC-02 light/sound kit. I love the body, but have been pretty disappointed in the performance of the chassis. All the mods required to get this chassis up to par don't seem to be worth it, especially since I'd have to lose some of the MFC-02 gear. So I'm wondering if the Tamiya Tundra body would be a good fit for the TRX-4 chassis. The wheelbase is good (both are 12.4"), but I'm not sure about the width - the TRX-4 track is 9.78" but the Tundra body is only about 8" wide. I haven't been able to find anyone who is doing this particular combination.

In short, do these combinations sound reasonable:

1) RC4WD Blazer on SCX-10 ii chassis
2) Tamya Tundra body on TRX-4 chassis

Thanks!
-Jamie
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bodies and frames

Can't comment on 1); but for 2)...
The TRX-4 seems to be a very wide chassis compared to most. At a minimum, you're going to have to lose (or very seriously trim) the inner fenders to fit that Tundra body on there. That said, I've seen a few people put the 7.8" Proline 4Runner body onto a trx-4, so if the Tundra is a full 8 you should be fine.
jwwolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The trx-4 sport is 12.3 wheelbase all other trx-4 models are 12.8 wheelbase. The sport would be best choice for the tundra body
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

The tundra body is only 7" wide. It could work but it would require moving the receiver box and the esc. Fenders would need massive trimming or removal. Or like hillbillyrc said use the sport. It doesn't have fenders. The tundra works pretty decently with the scx10 ii chassis but has the same issue as tires will be much wider than the body. If you don't mind not having the tires tuck under the fenders it may be the easier solution on either platform than the blazer.
The blazer is much wider at 8.78" but a lot shorter wheelbase at 11.3". I chose to turn the blazer into a pickup and made it 12.3" like LSXGMC's Bob which is awesome. It was lot of work though and is a really heavy body. Like 2 lbs with the interior. Tire tuck is possible on the scx10 ii but requires pretty narrow wheels and offset to get the body low.
Hope this helps.
troutshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #5

Mod19RC has a nice conversion kit for the blazer to pickup available now.
troutshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
The trx-4 sport is 12.3 wheelbase all other trx-4 models are 12.8 wheelbase. The sport would be best choice for the tundra body
Actually, the Bronco and Sport are 12.3" the Defender and Tactical are 12.8.

Last edited by Inspector86; 07-02-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I’ve mounted two Blazer bodies onto SCX10-II chassis, with the caveat that mine were both converted to K10 pickup trucks.

The best combination is using GCM Racing’s scale transmission conversion kit with either leaf springs out back or a rear cantilever setup. You’ll want the body to sit as low as you can to reduce COG issues and these mods will help with that.

You can cut holes in the bed for the shock towers to sit thru and cut some sections out for the transmission if you’re on a budget.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Actually, the Bronco and Sport are 12.3" the Defender and Tactical are 12.8.
The Kit is 12.3” as well
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I’ve mounted two Blazer bodies onto SCX10-II chassis, with the caveat that mine were both converted to K10 pickup trucks.

The best combination is using GCM Racing’s scale transmission conversion kit with either leaf springs out back or a rear cantilever setup. You’ll want the body to sit as low as you can to reduce COG issues and these mods will help with that.

You can cut holes in the bed for the shock towers to sit thru and cut some sections out for the transmission if you’re on a budget.
Wow, that's a nice transmission kit. As nice as the Blazer body is, I'd probably cut it rather than mod the chassis. Maybe in the future I'll build an "uncut" version with the GCM kit. I'm partial to the looks of the Blazer over the K10, but that MOD19RC kit is nice. It's good to have options.

Actually, I have a 1:1 1971 Suburban - maybe I'll build a LWB Suburban for the TRX-4 chassis. I'll have to check the dimensions.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

If you want a Blazer body on a TRX4 you might try to locate a Vaterra Ascender K5 body. It is nearly a perfect fit. This is my #2 TRX4 with the Vaterra K5 body. This body has recently been discontinued so if this is something you are interested in you need to buy one quick before they are all gone.

Last edited by Inspector86; 07-14-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
If you want a Blazer body on a TRX4 you might try to locate a Vaterra Ascender K5 body. It is a nearly perfect fit. This is my #2 TRX4 with the Vaterra K5 body. This body has recently been discontinued so if this is something you are interested in you need to buy one quick before they are all gone.
That's pretty sweet but I'm kinda obsessed with the RC4WD Blazer. I almost bought a Vaterra Blazer when they came out though.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutshark View Post
The tundra body is only 7" wide. It could work but it would require moving the receiver box and the esc. Fenders would need massive trimming or removal. Or like hillbillyrc said use the sport. It doesn't have fenders. The tundra works pretty decently with the scx10 ii chassis but has the same issue as tires will be much wider than the body. If you don't mind not having the tires tuck under the fenders it may be the easier solution on either platform than the blazer.
The blazer is much wider at 8.78" but a lot shorter wheelbase at 11.3". I chose to turn the blazer into a pickup and made it 12.3" like LSXGMC's Bob which is awesome. It was lot of work though and is a really heavy body. Like 2 lbs with the interior. Tire tuck is possible on the scx10 ii but requires pretty narrow wheels and offset to get the body low.
Hope this helps.
Yeah you're right - I just re-measured the Tundra and it's maybe a hair over 7" wide. I'm getting a TRX-4 on Wednesday so I'll see if I can make it fit. I'll post pics.

Here's my Tundra on its high-lift chassis in mid-rebuild.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #13

Test-fit of the Tundra on the TRX-4. Not nearly enough clearance in the front wheel wells with the stock TRX-4 tires. They are 4.75" diameter, as opposed to the high-lift's stock 3.75. Thinking of going with 1.7 wheels with maybe 4.2 inch tires. There's so much articulation and turning radius in this chassis that even the 3.75" tires grab the fender!!!
Attached Images

Tags
rc4wd, scx-10, trx-4, tundra

Bodies and frames - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone making frames for the NewBright/FastLane JK bodies? goldmember General Scale Talk 12 12-12-2009 10:58 PM