RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   suspension tech questions. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/438006-suspension-tech-questions.html)

Gen3_Teg_88 04-03-2013 03:16 PM

suspension tech questions.

I am building a 1.9 scaler currently and I have noticed that when one side of the suspension compresses the axle moves forward on that side, the rear does the same thing except the axle moves backward.....it is the same as when a stakeboard turns; when all 4 tires are on the ground and the chassis rocks side to side the axles move like the trucks on the skateboard.
Now; I know the reason for this is because of the lower links changing "length" relative to each other as the suspension compresses. My question is: will bringing the lower links closer together at the skid plate reduce/nullify this effect? I am using an ax-10 skid at the moment and would possibly switch to an SCX-10 skid to fix the problem(if triangulation does indeed solve the issue)

the reason I ask is because it is making mounting the body annoying; trying to get the wheel wells to line up and all.

Manning 04-03-2013 06:47 PM

Re: suspension tech questions.

I'd guess your links are on the short side, and/or at a fairly steep angle. Both of those will accentuate axle steer.

So, to reduce this, you need to make the links longer and more parallel to the ground.

No, mounting your links closer together at the skid won't help. Might even make it worse.

Gen3_Teg_88 04-03-2013 07:54 PM

the front links are pretty short but the rears a quite long and they do it even more so.

Voodoobrew 07-06-2018 02:50 AM

It is because Your top links have more Horizonte angle then the bottom I think.

Voodoobrew 07-06-2018 02:53 AM

So yes I think moving the lower links closer to the inverse angle to the upper links would help.

mewalsh100 07-06-2018 08:34 AM

Is it possible your driveshafts have reached their compressed minimum length, (I.E., bottomed out) and are then pushing the axle back, wheel back as the suspension tries to fully compress/articulate? I had this happen on a rig and resolved by trimming back the driveshaft to allow for full compression of the suspension.

number9 07-07-2018 08:08 AM

How long are your front / rear links?
How long are your shocks?
How much sag do you have?

dacaur 07-13-2018 06:06 AM

Its geometry. moving your links closer together wont change it.
On any solid axle connected by links, even 1:1 vehicles, the axle doesn't move straight up and down, it moves in an arc determined by the length of the links. The further you get from the links being parallel to the ground, the more pronounced it will get.
One of the issues jeep owners run into is when lifting solid axle jeeps without changing to long arms, at higher lifts tires are noticibly closer to the rear of wheelwell in the front and the front of the wheelwell in the rear. Not a huge problem unless you have OCD, but its there. As the angle of the links gets steeper, it gets more pronounced. Thats the whole point of changing to long arm suspension on 1:1 scale rigs.

svt923 07-13-2018 07:48 AM

We do know this is a 5 year old thread, right?

The OP must have solved his issue because he hasn't been on here in 2 years.

DukeMinnix 07-13-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5850879)
We do know this is a 5 year old thread, right?

The OP must have solved his issue because he hasn't been on here in 2 years.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::ror::ror::ror: