Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axial coming out with a MOA comp crawler anytime soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: axial coming out with a MOA comp crawler anytime soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The biggest class is 2.2 Pro and very few people run bodies anymore at the national level.
You counted? Or is this just a guess?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The biggest class is 2.2 Pro and very few people run bodies anymore at the national level. If Proline and Parma don't get exposure or sell product why support the event. You gotta remember, they still have to run a business and see a return on their investment.
When was the last time we saw them as a sponsor? i would assume long before we went bodiless...
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #83
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
When was the last time we saw them as a sponsor? i would assume long before we went bodiless...
True, it's been a long time. They may not have been big sponsors but I remember Jconcepts and Proline goodies in the raffles in the Nationals raffles back in '08 or '09. Whatever the last one I went to was.

Yes, you are correct, prior to the bodiless craze though was the "true" tube chassis era and bodied rigs started becoming scarce then.

Obviously I can't tell you exactly why they are not sponsors, but that is my best guess. I am confident that if a company sees no potential for sales or a drop in product sales, they are not going to be interested in sponsoring events.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What has he done so far? There are several good tricks to get rid of that. Is he running that titanium shaft?
Titanium?

Shouldn't he just practice more?
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Titanium?
Yes, axial produces a titanium cross shaft that, IMO, flexes more than the stock shaft and allows the gears to pop.

Quote:
I suppose. Or maybe he could just give up and become a "scaler"...but he'd have to learn to talk shit about guys that comp. Do you give lessons?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Titanium?

lol, foot in mouth, read the whole context of the comment, he was advising AGAINST the Ti shaft, suggesting the stock is not only fine, but better!
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Titanium?

So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Shut the fawk up Donny!
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Based on what information?

2011 nats was won with a stock-ish XR10. Bender showed up to the WCS comp a few months ago and was in the top 10.

Why people continue to think that running a stock chassis will hold you back is beyond me.....practice is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than an aftermarket chassis.
2 years ago most people were running stockish xr10's against an ocean of bergs. I dont really remember to many chassis 2 years ago made specifically for the xr10. As far as Bender coming in the top 10 a few months ago, lets look at this example, driver with a very accomplished resume comes in top 10, not very surprising, but there again im sure the truck had alot of updated parts outside the chassis.

I do however must ask, what chassis are you sporting? Stockish xr? If not, you must have wasted your hard earned dollars on a completely unecessary amount of swag. No one would or could argue that practice is the best medicine, but practice is futile if practicing with a completely outgunned piece of equipment.

I have personally seen in our local comps, guys show up all enthusiastic with there bjv3 chassis from the classifieds and terra claw motors and punk dig on a dx3e and practice there ass off to come out expecting to whoop some ass only to arrive and immediately see a table full of carbon bodiless rigs with dual esc's and Futaba 4pks radios all easily soaring over 1500 bucks each,and they completely get destroyed. They keep practicing and come back to 3-5 comps only to continue to lose horribly and know they dont have the finances to compete. I must 100% agree with grizzly in the aspect of feeling like one is competitive, once you realize your not, your out. Then I see them sell there rig or trade it for a scaler, and there goes another comp guy, down the drain lost to the scale world. I dont know if there truely is a way to save the comp scene. All of us that love comping and spend alot of coin on equipment and travel, are a rare breed. We are dedicated to the sport with every thread of our being, and to find new guys willing to start new and compete against that, is very hard to find. What we need is exposure, like x games type exposure. Doubt that will ever happen, but sure is fun to think about.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
2 years ago most people were running stockish xr10's against an ocean of bergs. I dont really remember to many chassis 2 years ago made specifically for the xr10.
Krawlfreak first introduced his XR specific chassis right after Nats 2010:
krawls XR.....with a dash of y-town please!

Quote:
As far as Bender coming in the top 10 a few months ago, lets look at this example, driver with a very accomplished resume comes in top 10, not very surprising, but there again im sure the truck had alot of updated parts outside the chassis.
So, how is it that he got to be a top driver? Luck?

Quote:
I do however must ask, what chassis are you sporting? Stockish xr?
You are right. When I switched to the XR axles, I had, for the past few years, been running a YTC chassis. I did not run the stock chassis because I did not want to change from what I was used to. Does that mean it did not work well and wouldn't work well for someone who bought the kit? No.

Quote:
No one would or could argue that practice is the best medicine, but practice is futile if practicing with a completely outgunned piece of equipment.
I disagree. Can anyone really believe that they are going to bring in the W at every comp if they don't ever practice?

Quote:
I have personally seen in our local comps, guys show up all enthusiastic with there bjv3 chassis from the classifieds and terra claw motors and punk dig on a dx3e and practice there ass off to come out expecting to whoop some ass only to arrive and immediately see a table full of carbon bodiless rigs with dual esc's and Futaba 4pks radios all easily soaring over 1500 bucks each,and they completely get destroyed. They keep practicing and come back to 3-5 comps only to continue to lose horribly and know they dont have the finances to compete. I must 100% agree with grizzly in the aspect of feeling like one is competitive, once you realize your not, your out. Then I see them sell there rig or trade it for a scaler, and there goes another comp guy, down the drain lost to the scale world. I dont know if there truely is a way to save the comp scene. All of us that love comping and spend alot of coin on equipment and travel, are a rare breed. We are dedicated to the sport with every thread of our being, and to find new guys willing to start new and compete against that, is very hard to find.
So what do you suggest? Manufacturers stop making aftermarket parts for these trucks so that people don't feel the need to work hard for what they want? Shall we also give out participation trophies at the comps? Earlier people were complaining that we weren't using parts from aftermarket companies, so they lost interest. Now you are saying that we are using parts from aftermarket and it is causing people to lose interest. Which is it?

BTW, when our club has new guys show up, we adjust our style of courses so that they are able to make it past gate 1. They might not win, but they get a feeling of accomplishment.

I also find it funny that the people suggesting that these expensive comp rigs are driving others away from the hobby are the same people building $2000 scale/comp rigs that are running "cheap electronics" that cost $500. They are doing the EXACT same thing they are complaining about. Those same people also like to complain when a "comp guy" shows up at one of their "scale comps" and wins.....

Quote:
What we need is exposure, like x games type exposure. Doubt that will ever happen, but sure is fun to think about.
MANY people (myself included) have suggested to the "powers that be" that competition sponsors need to get more from their donation......exposure is what they need to be getting. I have yet to see that happen.

Last edited by JeremyH; 06-15-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Ya know what? I am done trying to defend a hobby that I enjoy to a group of people who are doing nothing but trying to bring it down. There are those of us who get enjoyment from driving RCs and even competing with them. I feel sorry for those of you who don't get the same enjoyment. Please stop trying to ruin the fun for the rest of us.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ya know what? I am done trying to defend a hobby that I enjoy to a group of people who are doing nothing but trying to bring it down. There are those of us who get enjoyment from driving RCs and even competing with them. I feel sorry for those of you who don't get the same enjoyment. Please stop trying to ruin the fun for the rest of us.
Thank you, For defending our Hobby.
miner mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

I bought a Losi crawler put about $700 with purchase price into it and went out a couple times to compete. I did fairly well and had a good time. I can drive very well and have tuned my rig the best it can be but if I wanted to win I could see I needed to take it a step further. I've competed in many things from strategy games to ATV racing and 1:1 crawling comps. It's all the same there is a small crew that go all out and generally take top spot. Alot of people here talk like comp crawlin is the only sport like this. It's expensive and time consuming and I think it will always be a niche sport. I have a 1:1 Landcruiser that's gots 35's, lockers etc. It was alot if money and time to build and it can place near the top but it doesn't compare to guys with tube frames moon buggys. In the 15 years I've been into 1:1 crawlin the sport goes up and down. In the last 10 the gap has really widened between the average guys rig and the hardcore guys. I once won an event back in the 90s with Toyota pickup on 33s. Today I couldnt make the firsr gate withthat rig.I like competitions but the fact is 9/10 of the guys I wheel with just do it for fun and will never compete. What percentage of RC crawlers sold ever see a sanctioned event ? Very small I would bet. Just like 1:1 4wds. The best thing anyone can do is encourage people to join comps and help them out. Elitist attitudes are bad for any group activity. I like comp crawlers better than scale but I scale more for a few reasons
1) There's just more scale options
2) I know more people with scale RCs
3) There are way more "fun runs"
4) the mood is generally less competitive ( I like competition but many people do not)
5) Scale just attracts more people. In the LHS there will be 20 scale vehicles for every comp crawler.
Whether the sport lives or dies me and the guys I crawl with will still be competing on backyard courses.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #93
Suck it up!

Quote:
My answer would be that the bodiless chassis killed the scale looks of 2.2 and they don't want that to happen in 2.2 S.
Scale looks were going bye-bye long before the bodiless chassis craze. People don't use bug bodies because of their realism...

There are two kinds of crawlers...scale for looks and comp for performance. If either one of those classes cannot maintain their basic definition then they are lost. Scale builders should strive for realism, comp builders should strive for performance. To try to guide or refocus either class away from what they are intended to represent is treasonous.

Quote:
I have personally seen in our local comps, guys show up all enthusiastic with there bjv3 chassis from the classifieds and terra claw motors and punk dig on a dx3e and practice there ass off to come out expecting to whoop some ass only to arrive and immediately see a table full of carbon bodiless rigs with dual esc's and Futaba 4pks radios all easily soaring over 1500 bucks each,and they completely get destroyed. They keep practicing and come back to 3-5 comps only to continue to lose horribly and know they dont have the finances to compete. I must 100% agree with grizzly in the aspect of feeling like one is competitive, once you realize your not, your out.
I used to comp with two different clubs. At one club, me and my highly modded shafty would get womped on by a guy with a stock chassis'd AX10. At the other, I would be the only shafty (non-dig) in a sea of really expensive looking MOA's and put half of them to shame.

People think throwing money at stuff makes them competitive, and it doesn't. Not in the crawling world, not in the racing world. I have never, ever seen anyone new to either sport show up with a shiny new and blinged out rig and do well. Ever. If you don't have some quality wheel time you are going to suck and not be competitive. There is no way around that.

There are also people who are naturally good drivers, those that will never be, and those that get good with practice.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 06-16-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #94
Proverbial threadkiller

I hafta believe that the lack of demand for the XR could be in that there's just a LOT of people nowadays that won't justify the costs of an MOA for it to just sit on the table all night. I'd imagine the reason scaler GTGs are catching on so rapidly is because you can have many people out 'on course' getting in stick time. They actually get to use the equipment they dumped money into, instead of just standing around watching others drive their trucks. And if you're just out bombin' around with some buddies, chances are pretty good you're not going to need the all-out, 10/10ths performance of a comp crawler. Between not needing the complexity of MOAs, and actually getting to put some miles on one's truck, I can see scaler activities continuing to grow in popularity.

I just think the comp scene is going to have it's hands full trying to lure anyone over with not much more than the promise of wait times while someone else is on the course. And sadly, as comping's popularity continues to wane, one can't help but to foresee equipment for such a specialized niche getting more and more difficult to find.

I had a lot of fun going to comps, sad to see they went away. Hope someday they make a comeback. 'Til then, I may have to take up trail truckin'.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
I hafta believe that the lack of demand for the XR could be in that there's just a LOT of people nowadays that won't justify the costs of an MOA for it to just sit on the table all night. I'd imagine the reason scaler GTGs are catching on so rapidly is because you can have many people out 'on course' getting in stick time. They actually get to use the equipment they dumped money into, instead of just standing around watching others drive their trucks. And if you're just out bombin' around with some buddies, chances are pretty good you're not going to need the all-out, 10/10ths performance of a comp crawler. Between not needing the complexity of MOAs, and actually getting to put some miles on one's truck, I can see scaler activities continuing to grow in popularity.

I just think the comp scene is going to have it's hands full trying to lure anyone over with not much more than the promise of wait times while someone else is on the course. And sadly, as comping's popularity continues to wane, one can't help but to foresee equipment for such a specialized niche getting more and more difficult to find.

I had a lot of fun going to comps, sad to see they went away. Hope someday they make a comeback. 'Til then, I may have to take up trail truckin'.
Essentially the same as the shift from werock to ultra4 in 1:1.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #96
Pebble Pounder

In the crawler world, are there not classes? For example, novice, sportsman, mod, and pro in the 2.2 scale?

Maybe part of the crawler comp issue is that it is regional? If someone showed up at a local club in our region with a crawler I bet 90 percent of the guys would say 'what is that?' Not they would dis it, they just do not see them and do not know about them. I keep thinking about getting one but there is no one to run with and for the most part no natural areas to run on.

I see a lot of comments about practice. For sure you have to practice to be competitive at a pro level. Each level, by and large, will need certain amounts of practice to be competitive. Then equipment mods will matter some, within classes. Within class the equipment matters to an extent, but if you are pitting rookies against pros there is a big problem. Like my buddy that played a lot of tennis says, Andre Agassi can beat you using a spoon.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

we have also had our comp scene run dry down here, guess why, to many options in 2.2! wtf? moa, shafty, dig no dig, tube or full bodied, we didn't have that many people comping to begin with, but with all the rules and classes we can't agree which to run beacuse someone is always complaining that a class or rule from a class affects them, so what´s basically happening here is , everyone is doing trail rig driving , i sit at home and sadly look at my babies that don't get out that much aymore, 2.2 shafties, 2.2 moa, 4 supers, but i don't plan on selling them, as they form part of the hobby i have loved so much for over 30 years. as a matter of fact i have been building another clod for bashing
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #98

Time has gone talking about Comps YES or NO (doesn't that both have own threads here on the big green?). Every Community needs one idiot that says the words - Back to topic!

Are there now any news about upcoming 2.2 Kits for Sportsman or Pro usage? It pretty sucks that there is nothing to watch out for. Hot Bodies' MOA Rig - where is it? (Okay, it didn't look like someone would kill for that...) New Axial stuff, except OCP-based rigs or Honchoponchodingodango?

People are repairing worn Berg-Axles, XR-Axles to build their Rigs, not one chance to get fresh new stuff. That leads to my final question, please don't shoot me :

Is 2.2 Rockcrawling DEAD NOW AND FOREVER?!? Is it gone to be the AMC Gremlin of RC-Hobbies?! Where people dig in boxes on garage sales to get a working original cigarette lighter?
XbanditoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Hey now! ... I own 2 AMCs!!!
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XbanditoX View Post
Time has gone talking about Comps YES or NO (doesn't that both have own threads here on the big green?). Every Community needs one idiot that says the words - Back to topic!

Are there now any news about upcoming 2.2 Kits for Sportsman or Pro usage? It pretty sucks that there is nothing to watch out for. Hot Bodies' MOA Rig - where is it? (Okay, it didn't look like someone would kill for that...) New Axial stuff, except OCP-based rigs or Honchoponchodingodango?

People are repairing worn Berg-Axles, XR-Axles to build their Rigs, not one chance to get fresh new stuff. That leads to my final question, please don't shoot me :

Is 2.2 Rockcrawling DEAD NOW AND FOREVER?!? Is it gone to be the AMC Gremlin of RC-Hobbies?! Where people dig in boxes on garage sales to get a working original cigarette lighter?
You act like dlux and RC4WD don't exist.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote

axial coming out with a MOA comp crawler anytime soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bully moa comp crawler mesooners RC4WD Bully 6 04-05-2012 04:36 PM
Is an RTR version Comp Crawler coming? tfrahm Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 07-27-2009 02:18 PM