Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Motor or Pinion first? Which is better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Motor or Pinion first? Which is better?

Alright.

I have an almost-stock Honcho RTR.

My electronics are 100% stock. I am running a Tower Hobbies 6-cell 7.2 volt NiMH 2000mAh

The only relevant 'upgrade' I have made, so far, is that I've moved down to a 17 tooth Absolute pinion.

Other upgrades are that I got rid of the front 3-link for a 4 link instead. I've mirrored my transmission. Only other thing is stock Wraith shocks.

I am looking to have one motor with good torque and a lower pinion for crawling, and a second motor (most likely my Axial) with a higher pinion because I also drive around parking lots and on lawn-covered hills when I go to my friends' baseball games.. But this is also why I'd like to have one GOOD motor, and a 2-speed trans, even if it's "manual shift" and not controlled from the radio for now.

DC
DieCastoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
Scale Detail Engineering

everyone tells you to switch to lipo for a reason.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

When someone donates me a LiPo , a charger, and a BEC, I will happily switch.

Till then I am sticking with the $40 worth of batteries I already have until they die and need to be replaced.

I know they have their reasons to switch and I know I have my reasons not to, at least at this point in time.

DC.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
Scale Detail Engineering

when you're ready:
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): 3S LiPO - 11.1V - Batteries - Power
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): GT POWER X-CHARGER C6 6S LiPO Charger

seriouslly, if you can swing it... this will really help with your problems.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

That's not the only cost involved, though..... I'll need a new ESC and a new BEC for 11.1 volts too! It's not just the battery and charger. I am very simply not ready.

I admit though, that's a hell of a lot lower prices than I was seeing when I looked a while ago . . . .

I could run 2s LiPo, but would that make any difference over the NiMH?

Last edited by DieCastoms; 05-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCastoms View Post
That's not the only cost involved, though..... I'll need a new ESC and a new BEC for 11.1 volts too! It's not just the battery and charger. I am very simply not ready.

I admit though, that's a hell of a lot lower prices than I was seeing when I looked a while ago . . . .

I could run 2s LiPo, but would that make any difference over the NiMH?
Get a bec and the ae2 runs just fine, thats what i run mine on. With a Craftsman drill motor.
Lipos are one of the best upgrades you can do, more punch, longer runtimes, longer lasting. I could go on, and on
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

So ...

Castle BEC, $25; Castle Link, $25; GT Power X-Charger, $21; battery, $10 - $15: total to "just switch over" = $85 plus shipping. Also I'd need some Dean's. So let's make it easy and say $100 to go LiPo.

I'm not trying to be difficult about this, but the simple fact of the matter is, I simply can't afford it right now and I'd rather use what I can afford to beef up the suspension and get a better motor ..
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Disconnect the red wire from the rx plug of your existing esc when you get the bec. I've run esc's meant exclusively for 7.2/7.4 volt operation on 3 cell lipos by doing this.

There would be an advantage to a 2 cell lipo over the Nimh. But nothing like a 3 cell.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
Scale Detail Engineering

you don't need a bec or cc link with the stock servo.

It's just that even a quality motor will not be that impressive w/o 3s... imho.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Gearing and voltage is my suggestion I have a honcho similar to what you describe yours to be it has the stock ESC and 27t motor I put a bec on it switched to 3s and geared it to where it doesn't over heat . It crawls like a champ and runs about 5-7mph! Its not the fastest thing around but unless I get to crawling with it for long periods of time it doesn't get hot at all. I believe I have it geared 84/16 which is just a hair allowed gearing then what you are running.
gofaster427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

the receiver though is not good over 7.2 volts. I've seen a number of accounts that the truck gets glitchy at 8.4 volts even . . . otherwise I have a 9.6 battery I could drop in this thing right now...

So wait, gofaster, you're running STOCK Axial ESC, STOCK Axial receiver, and STOCK Axial Servo, but you've added an external BEC, and you're running 11.1 volts?

You're not getting any glitching or anything at all?

Is it safe to drop a 9.6 in this truck ALL STOCK to see the difference that makes? I have a 9.6 NiMH here that I could mess around with...

so much mixed information .... wish I just had the money to be able to burn some things up and find out 'the truth' for myself . . .

DC (but not "The DC" :P )
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Yes stock reciever but I have a spectrum servo the stock servo burned up shortly after I bought the truck long before I went to 3s/11.1 volts I have always ran my trucks on lipo 2s/7.4volts since I got it. It never glitched on 2s and with the bec it rarely glitches on 3s
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Try your 9.6v battery just do a short run time and keep an eye on your motor temp and ESC temp
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

The 10 dollar motors won't have great torque. Get a quality Holmes pro or Team Brood motor. Going from a 27 to a 65-80 will drop wheel speed majorly. Gearing back to same speed will probably get hot. Get a 27-35 turn pro and it will have the balls you want and still go a decent speed.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
... Going from a 27 to a 65-80 will drop wheel speed majorly. Gearing back to same speed will probably get hot. ...
It will never reach the same wheel speed because of the reduced power output from that motor.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

My LHS sells pinion assortment pacs with 5-6 different size pinions in it for a little over $10 - (i think I paid $12.50 for 6) might look into something like that for pinion trials.

on the battery issue - we have both 6 & 7 cell NiMHs and 2S Lipos - the lipos are by far the better choice for power and run times (no BECs here either - yet) 3S is on the list of "wants", but money is the issue here - or lack there-of.
A little bit of searching (general searching - ie: google, bing, whatever) will find you a good quality charger, with balancer, for not a ton of money. dont limit your searching to looking in specific stores - search in general first, then narrow things down.

If you are concerend about the safety aspect of lipos - a simple lipo charging bag (which you should have anyway - even NiMHs can do nasty things) can put the mind at ease. Our local track requires them for charging ANY type of battery on site - NiMH, Lipo, whatever you have - has to be in a proper bag if it is being charged.

motors - dont have enough experience with those to make nay recommendations - I will leave that to others with more. =)
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The receiver though is not good over 7.2 volts. I've seen a number of accounts that the truck gets glitchy at 8.4 volts even . . . otherwise I have a 9.6 battery I could drop in this thing right now...

So wait, gofaster, you're running STOCK Axial ESC, STOCK Axial receiver, and STOCK Axial Servo, but you've added an external BEC, and you're running 11.1 volts?

You're not getting any glitching or anything at all?

Is it safe to drop a 9.6 in this truck ALL STOCK to see the difference that makes? I have a 9.6 NiMH here that I could mess around with...

So much mixed information .... wish I just had the money to be able to burn some things up and find out 'the truth' for myself . . .

DC (but not "The DC" :P )
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofaster427 View Post
Yes stock receiver but I have a Spektrum servo, the stock servo burned up shortly after I bought the truck long before I went to 3S/11.1 volts. I have always ran my trucks on LiPO 2S/7.4volts since I got it. It never glitched on 2S and with the BEC it rarely glitches on 3S
Guys......the ESC is what really has the input power limit. If it's good for 3S, run it. The internal BEC will then provide a safe voltage to the RX & steering servo pretty much regardless of the input power/voltage.

Keep in mind, servos over ~200inoz tend to overpower the internal BEC, thus you need to either:
Run an external BEC (most use a CC 10A BEC)
Run 2S power direct to the servo if it can handle it & you're running 2S LiPO

The electronics don't care what battery chemistry you run, only the voltage.
"LiPO ready" ESC's have a LVC (low voltage cutoff) to protect the LiPO from getting over-discharged. It will still run (within voltage limits) but older ESC's won't shut down on their own before battery damage.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Well, I tried the 9.6 volt battery that I had. I think it needs replacing. It's 2000 mAh, and only lasted about 20 minutes.

The motor and ESC did get warm, but not hot. Again, I would say that my battery gets warmer while charging than the motor and ESC did. I didn't notice any glitching at all.

I can back up and slam forward and ride wheelies with it Even with the 17t pinion. I didn't get to try the 20t :P
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well, I tried the 9.6 volt battery that I had. I think it needs replacing. It's 2000 mAh, and only lasted about 20 minutes.

The motor and ESC did get warm, but not hot. Again, I would say that my battery gets warmer while charging than the motor and ESC did. I didn't notice any glitching at all.

I can back up and slam forward and ride wheelies with it Even with the 17t pinion. I didn't get to try the 20t :P
It's nickelmetal, bad all the way around.
Nickel has less run time of same mah cause of the amp output difference
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

sounds about right to me - time wise. 2000mah is not much at all for time on the Nimh batterys. we have a 7 cell 4500mah Nimh and it will barely last 25-30 minutes - less in one of the speed demon cars...
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor and pinion

Motor or Pinion first? Which is better? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 motor pinion adrians3109 G-Made Crawlers 2 11-01-2010 08:22 AM
what motor pinion damige jnr Newbie General 3 04-13-2010 01:44 AM
DNA motor mount. What motor/pinion fits. sdcrawls HPI Wheely King 5 04-11-2010 06:23 PM
Pinion VS Motor Harvo Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-26-2008 01:47 PM
motor and pinion ? moparman89 Tamiya Clod Buster 0 02-18-2007 08:11 PM