Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: how much time do you guys spend preparing the course area before a GTG??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default how much time do you guys spend preparing the course area before a GTG??

for the guys who set up comps and stuff, i was just thinking about how much time i spend perparing before my friends come over for a day of crawling at my house..... verdict is..... a lot...

here is my course prep...

i have a big crawler course at my house.. right now its 53'x33' and about 45,000lbs of rock and it in the corner of the field with animals in the field too so i have to fence it off, repair fence when the animals bust through it haha.. cut/weedwack the grass every week, roundup the areas that i dont want grass, setup workbenches for everyone, make sure there's power for chargers, cell phones, bust out the garden hose, steal mom's garden sprayer thingy and wash down the rocks so they are clean etc... in the fall there's a frig load of leaves that fall from the trees so gotta rake those etc... lots of work to do to keep the course open as long as possible, then sunday comes along and friends are like "what the hell you didnt get this done or this setup?" and im like "nope i have a day job to go to first" haha.. and i still forget stuff, luckily at my house i can just go into the house and grab it haha

fall time takes longer because of the leaves, but im thinking i might throw some tarps over the rocks this year to keep the leaves off and the snow off the rocks in the winter.. i do my prep stuff during the week after work, come home eat dinner go outside and cut the grass or something, if i dont have time during the week than most of the saturday before the day is spent prepping.. if i was to add it up into hours i'd say roughly 4-5 hours every 2 weeks...

a friend spends quite a bit of time prepping for us to come over during the winter making sure every thing is good to go... heat is on, rocks are dry, gates are setup etc..

so im just curious how much time you guys spend on prepping the course area, either it be indoors or outdoors doesnt matter, this could be a full blown comp or just a GTG with friends..... this question does NOT include prepping rigs and all that shit, this is just for prepping the area, setting up gates, cleaning the rocks, removing sticks etc.. definitely a lot of work but its hard to beat a day with friends drinking beer and playing with toy trucks!!!
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: how much time do you guys spend preparing the course area before a GTG??

When I get my place setup for GTG's I hope that I don't ever have to set it up for each GTG. I want to make it like a real OHV park so there are trails as well as the ability to make your own lines.
AC_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: how much time do you guys spend preparing the course area before a GTG??

We do most of our courses on natural rock. Show up, move a couple rocks to get lines that we want. Pull out some leaves and sticks. I would say 20-45 minutes.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into it. That's cool. It will keep your friends interested and fired up about competitions

For me... the prep is different. I have to make sure it's posted on here, and keep it near the top. Update the drivers list as people sign up. I have to pick a place then keep an eye on the weather. Change the spot to a rain friendly back up if it rains...(or postpone the comp all together).

Make sure we have enough score sheets and make more if needed, put together the gates, chalk, clipboards and pens, raffle tickets, and make sure all the timers still work. Fix the ones that don't.

Buy a raffle prize or get one donated, and recruit a few folks to be there early to help build courses.

On the day of... I get the tech table ready, build between 4 and 5 courses (with help), Inspect the courses I didn't build, tech trucks, have the drivers meeting... and then get everyone started.

After... I count up scores, post them on here, and start sending texts about a date for the next one.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like your club needs to help out. When you're burned the freak out and quit they'll regret it.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
RCC Addict

^^^ i agree.. but since i do most of it during the week and spread it out over a few days the work isnt too bad...

now lawnmower racing club, yes, they need to help out more..they help when we get to the area where we're racing but at home the trailer doesnt load itself.. haha.... oh well i guess its for fun

harvo- holy crap man thats a ton of work you do.. i hope you get help with most of it...

im pretty much setup for sunday, got a few people coming over to for a crawl session, just have to set up gates either today before i go to work or tomorrow...

thanks for replying guys, i was just curious to see if 4-5 hours prepping was a little too much time spent..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

how much time do you guys spend preparing the course area before a GTG?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bump this thread every time you spend $100 on your crawler! TwistedXT Chit Chat 1894 05-02-2016 07:19 AM
maybe now ill spend less time on the lid and more time on the rubber evan03 Axial Wraith 2 02-18-2013 08:08 PM
time to spend Leprechaun Chit Chat 7 02-11-2011 07:56 AM
How much time do you spend on RCC each day? mr.maxx Chit Chat 72 11-11-2006 02:23 PM
houston area guys Tuffguy Chit Chat 1 07-26-2006 09:26 PM