Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New traxxas telluride 4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: New traxxas telluride 4x4

I don't even understand why this is being posted, it's just a slash 4x4 - stampede 4x4 - with a liberty looking body and different tires.

I'm sure it's fun to drive though... yeah, bash bash bash

it's basically another Pat

Itispat by my beer goggles, on Flickr

Last edited by rockhugger; 08-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
All good points. However, wouldn't it be just a little ABSURD if Toyota slapped a Tundra body on a Corolla chassis?
I'd buy one.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

This thing could make for a fun way to get the young kids into this part of the hobby. Its kinda fast---most kids like speed not slow, It can trail ride with other vehicles---family time, and its water proof on top of that. I would also expect it to be pretty darn tough and once the kiddos grow a bit they will most likely want something a little more realistic. So in comes Axial...

For $300 a new RTR it would make a great christmas present. I will also be checking the classifieds in here....
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #24

I'm not impressed, but I guess that's what comes from just not being interested in this platform of trucks.
Yardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I'm buying a stampede roller. Shorter shocks. Different wheels and a cut a summit body in half. Hello telluride
CiLyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Its interesting in a way. The only used I have for traxxas though is buying used ones and cannibalizing them for parts to build Frankenstein projects.
I belive if they really want to hit a new market with the scaler guys they need a new live axle platform. Or at lease a more true to scale setup and some realistic bodies.
The traxxas line needs new blood period. The current platforms are old and tired with no real updates.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #27

While it's pretty cool it's the same chassis/setup as my 4x4 Stampede VXL minus the brushless. It also doesn't have the shock protectors my 4x4 stampede VXL has and they have proved useful. I have an older 2wd stampede with the titan 12T and XL5 and with a 7 cell and the right gearing that thing is pretty speedy and fun to bash with.

As others have said it's just Traxxas up to their usual tricks but for a starter it has good price point and it's not a bad way to break someone into the hobby.

Though I just started my buddy out with an Axial Honcho SCX10 after he saw my Wraith and drive it. He's loving it and they come with enough spare parts in the box you really can't beat it for a starter or pro.
Reqlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

The stampede before axial and maybe even now is the most bought platform so why change it lol.

Sent from the lazy guy on the hard working phone.
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

I don't understand why some want to hate on this truck. As far as I can see as a noobie Axial does the same thing. We see shared platforms and minor tweaks year to year in mountain bikes and every other consumer product too especially if it works well and has been very successful.

Real innovation or game changing design occurs far less often in all consumer product categories.

The Telluride looks like a lot of fun to me. Its not scale but then neither is any RC model of a current 1:1 4x4 with a solid front axle. There hasn't been a 1:1 4x4 vehicle manufactured with a solid front axle in decades so what is scale really other than a class or style of model for RC?

This may not be a traditional scaler and Traxxas may not make any "proper crawler"s but their trucks are very capable of driving over the same or similar terrain and they have excellent aftermarket support.

I've posted else where I want an All Mountain RC, AMRC, that can climb our rugged bike trails, skinnies and stunts and descend or flow down them like my AM bike does.

I like the scaler look best but if these trails challenge 26 and 29 inch wheels a scaler isn't going to cut it and a crawler isn't going to be able to wheelie drop. A wraith might do this but its the tires will get stuck in the ladders.

The telluride is one possibility for me and the RC-hiking thread shows the Emaxx or Emaxx is another. The Summit would be ideal but it is WAY out of my price range. Having done a bit of research the flow sections of these trails are going to require much better handling at speed than solid axles can provide.

This may just be a short course truck with a different body but for those of us who don't have a 1/10 SCT, hate that look and like the scale look the Telluride is a good option.

Developing true innovation and game changing design takes a hell of a lot of time and money and there can be expensive failures to market before success. Game changing advances don't always mean financial success either so refinements and tweaks like the Telluride help pay for the game changers and keep their costs lower.

Does Axial make a 4 wheel IS basher truck? If they do it doesn't seem too popular since its not one they seem to be known for. Traxxas knows what they do well just like Axial does so if Axial doesn't focus on a leading edge IS monster truck why should Traxxas focus on a solid axle scaler?

I can certainly see owning both brands in the future. The Telluride is on my AMRC short list but ultimately I think I will need the monster size wheels... the 29r of RCs as it were.
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemud View Post

The Telluride looks like a lot of fun to me. Its not scale but then neither is any RC model of a current 1:1 4x4 with a solid front axle. There hasn't been a 1:1 4x4 vehicle manufactured with a solid front axle in decades so what is scale really other than a class or style of model for RC?
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover Defender, 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser, 3/4 ton and up Ford and Dodge trucks to name a few that still have solid front axles.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

It's traxxas cashing in on the fact that traxxas fanboys will buy this as their anti-scx trail rig. And axial isn't throwing a 4wheel parts sc shell on their stuff & calling it a short course truck.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
RCC Addict

If anyone decides they want one of these for trail runs, at least lock the diffs, there was one entered in our G6 last November and it wouldn't get out of it's own way, I wouldn't recommend it when for the same price you can get a Honcho, put a 20t in it if you want some speed. I understand it's good for the hobby to attract new people in but if you're gonna do that at least make it somewhat capable.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote

New traxxas telluride 4x4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas 4x4 stampede Jstalker Traxxas Crawlers 3 03-01-2011 10:59 AM