Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Couple sets of AX/XR hybrid axles for Crawllife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Couple sets of AX/XR hybrid axles for Crawllife

So I haven been a bit vacant here lately. Figured I would share this build for a customer, Crawllife. He is getting 1 complete set of fully built axles, and 1 budget set for another rig he is making. This is a service I offer, but havent really pushed much. Feel free to PM me if you want a complete set of axles built for your sporty.

First things first, I had to tidy up my bench.

Parts pile!

Specs:

Built Set

Front Axle:
-CreationFab PREMIUM Wide Splined Tubes
-XR universals
-Axial alum chubs
-VP wraith knuckles
-Crawlin Calvin 7075 steering arms
-Grip Fab alum clamping locker
-Axial over drive gears
-TI drag link

Rear Axle:
-CreationFab PREMIUM Wide Non-Splined Tubes
-XR rear shafts modded
-VP lockouts
-Grip Fab alum clamping locker
-Axial under drive gears

Basic set.

-Stock AX axles with CreationFab PREMIUM Wide tubes front and rear
-Modded XR shafts out back, and XR universals up front
-Plastic XR lockouts and chubs.
-Plastic XR knuckles with double sheer shaved off and Crawling Calvin 7075 steering arms
-Custom alum drag link

So I didnt get a lot done before bed last night. But it was a start.

Got the stock axles taken apart, and put the parts that werent going to be used aside

Got the lockers and gear sets put together. More to come!!

Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Couple sets of AX/XR hybrid axles for Crawllife

are you still making splined tubes for AX/XR
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Fifth dimension

Thanks for posting a thread on these Chris. I really dig my first set. It will be a cool learning experience to have builds with 3 levels of axles. It may be quite a while for the third, but I'm hoping to do a thread with this loaded set. Enjoy your weekend!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1800 View Post
are you still making splined tubes for AX/XR

Last I talked to him about it he was. I'm actually going to need a set of his pretty soon to get my gf rig together
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Finally got back on these. With the tubes all made, it was time to start modding the housings. Tonight is just the budget set. Tomorrow night I am wrapping up the bad ass set.

Tubes made:

When I make the housings, I clamp them down before I drill out the holes, and put them in. That way the tubes dont move, and the screws start properly. You can see how much of the housing I remove for those that havent seen these tubes.

All done!

So most of the times, I recommend using 2 modded long side XR rear shafts. But to save this customer some scrilla, I made the tubes 2mm shorter on the rear so I could simply trim down the long side to match the short side. As you can see, I have to cut it at the end of the flange, then re-make the drive tang. I also have to take off the flange to fit them into the tubes. I use my drill and bench sander for this, because it saves time from having to set up my lathe. I also hand grind the tangs

Stock XR plastic knuckles with the double sheer shaved off, and Crawlin Calvin 7075 steering arms on.

Now that the housings are done. I can get started. First off, I drill the holes for the chubs.

Once that is done. I pull it apart. I am always sure to mark the tubes so I dont put them in the wrong side, and wonder why the holes arent perfectly lined up

I am starting with the budget set. On this set, it is getting plastic chubs, knuckles, and lockouts. Honestly, using anything but a plastic chub and lockout seems silly. I have only ever broken 1 chub, and never a lockout. Seems like a waste of money to use aluminum on those. A shot of the caster for the caster junkies out there(me being one of em)

Now that the housing is all ready to drop in parts, I throw the rest of the goodies in

The rear is pretty much the same song. Drill the holes for the lockouts while I have the tubes in

Then assembly, and bam! Sexiness!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
So most of the times, I recommend using 2 modded long side XR rear shafts. But to save this customer some scrilla, I made the tubes 2mm shorter on the rear so I could simply trim down the long side to match the short side.
So now I'm a bit confused. The thread in the vendor's section you state you used two XR short side rear shafts. I ordered the wide tubes for both front and rear so which am I going to need for the rear? Two long sides, or two short sides?
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That looks great Chris, can't wait for David to get these an start running shaftsmen!

I found 2 long side worked better with "lockers" with set screws. As the set screws just barely caught the short side. When I switched to the GripFab spools I used long side both sides and my lockouts stayed out 2.7mm from sitting all the way on the tube.
So I had to fully remove the flange an clearance the tang back a touch to get the lockouts to sit all the way on..

2x long side for "locker"

Seems short side would be fine with a spool? With it only bein 2mm diff? Chris, ur thoughts Chris?
winnerone23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Fifth dimension

Lookin good Chris!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
So now I'm a bit confused. The thread in the vendor's section you state you used two XR short side rear shafts. I ordered the wide tubes for both front and rear so which am I going to need for the rear? Two long sides, or two short sides?
Its a combination of what he said below, and just that I havent updated that thread(been kinda bad at that). The 2 shorts work. Lots of people use them and have good results, but they could use a little more engagement. I probably should start offering these in a shorter version specifically for the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
That looks great Chris, can't wait for David to get these an start running shaftsmen!

I found 2 long side worked better with "lockers" with set screws. As the set screws just barely caught the short side. When I switched to the GripFab spools I used long side both sides and my lockouts stayed out 2.7mm from sitting all the way on the tube.
So I had to fully remove the flange an clearance the tang back a touch to get the lockouts to sit all the way on..

2x long side for "locker"

Seems short side would be fine with a spool? With it only bein 2mm diff? Chris, ur thoughts Chris?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Finished these up last week, but havent had time to upload pix and update this

With the budget set done, it was time for the sweet set! Once the front housing was done, I applied the chubs, and drilled the holes to hold them on:

Since the lockers were clamping, I had to have a solution for tightening them. So I drilled 2 holes under where the servo plate goes to adjust.

And this folks, is why you dont drill stuff in your hands. Putting a 4mm drill bit about 1/4-1/2" into your finger isnt fun

The rest was simple assembly. I made sure to tighten the set screws for the locker in very little, and even increments to make sure the axle shafts dont spin out of balance. Afterwards, I covered the holes with a small piece of electrical tape to keep out debris, and make it not look so hoakey.

Caster shot

With the front done It was time to drill the holes and mount the rear lockouts:

Then of course, simple assembly. As you can see, the holes morphed into 1. Reason is, the ring gear on the under drive gears is much larger, so you have to put the driver in at an angle. It was easier to have 1 large hole, than 2.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Fifth dimension

These look so nice. I'm glad I went with the blue for the baller set. Thanks for all the hard work!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
These look so nice. I'm glad I went with the blue for the baller set. Thanks for all the hard work!
I don't think you're gonna like them. Better have them shipped to me.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
Fifth dimension

Got them just today and holy shaftsmen axles christhebatteryman! These are top notch!! Thanks man
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
All done!

I'm sure the Baller set is sweet, but I SOOOO wish I had some extra dough laying around for some full sets of the budget model.
(drool,drool,drool,drool)

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Fifth dimension

Ill tell ya trouble, I'm real impressed with how the steering arms sit on the plastic knucks. There is nothing that feels " budget" about them. I will have no reservations handing one of my kids the radio once I build with that set!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wow those are some SWEET axles! I've got a question for you, my buggy has rc4wd t-rex 60 axles and I keep breaking the steering arm on the knuckles, can you outfit a set of those knuckles with the alloy steering arms?
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Fifth dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
Wow those are some SWEET axles! I've got a question for you, my buggy has rc4wd t-rex 60 axles and I keep breaking the steering arm on the knuckles, can you outfit a set of those knuckles with the alloy steering arms?
I'm unsure about that one bro. The bully is the extent of my limited rc4wd knowledge. I would guess no. Ax10 axles are pretty straight forward man. You may want to consider swapping out for a set. I believe yours look quite a bit more scale tho. If that's big for you, you may have a dilemma there.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I would rather have your fully built set then my more scale looking axles, I need something stronger for my driving style.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I would rather have your fully built set then my more scale looking axles, I need something stronger for my driving style.
Chris also offers tubes that will keep your SCX axles the stock width while still making them stronger. I just finished up a set similiar to Crawllife's and the work put into these tubes is amazing.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Fifth dimension

Quote:
You can pm me if you'd like to discuss what options I went with or could have gone with and perhaps a little of what you could expect bill wise. I'm always more than happy to help.