Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: multiple radios?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default multiple radios?

well i wasn't sure where to ask this sooo.... i figured this is as good of place as any... i am wondering what you guys do for radio(s) as far as multiple rigs go? do you guys have a radio for each rig or just one radio? if one.. would you share how you "switch" from one rig to the other?

sorry if this is a silly question

thanks!!
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: multiple radios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc dreemer View Post
well i wasn't sure where to ask this sooo.... i figured this is as good of place as any... i am wondering what you guys do for radio(s) as far as multiple rigs go? do you guys have a radio for each rig or just one radio? if one.. would you share how you "switch" from one rig to the other?

sorry if this is a silly question

thanks!!
I run my wraith on my old dx3 so my 2 year old can drive it without worrying about the radio. My comp rigs are on my 4pl and the rest of my junk doesn't run. To switch models you just choose which one you are using in the menu.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
E.Y. Designs

I've used the Futaba 4PL and now I have a Futaba 4PKS... Both of them have 40 model memory so you just have to switch the models whenever you want to use a different truck... It's really easy to do and much easier than having a bunch of TX's..
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run a hacked GT3B. I have 3 rigs on that radio. To switch rigs its as easy as turn off the current rig, select the one I want to control on the radio, power cycle the radio then turn on the next rig. Im not sure if the power cycle is necessary with the hacked GT3b as it was when the radio was stock.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Location: Between the thoughts of yesterday and the ideas of tomorrow

agree with the flysky. I picked one up and they work great(after the hack). Plus rxs are only like 10 bucks each.

Last edited by Blades; 09-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

if i understand right to have the one radio you need to have multiple recievers to go in each of the rigs right? i guess then it makes sense to buy a good multi model radio as apposed to multi cheap radios?......
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc dreemer View Post
if i understand right to have the one radio you need to have multiple recievers to go in each of the rigs right? i guess then it makes sense to buy a good multi model radio as apposed to multi cheap radios?......
Cheap radios are pretty much a waste once you get serious about the hobby since they lack functions like mixes and expo.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Cheap radios are pretty much a waste once you get serious about the hobby since they lack functions like mixes and expo.
If you want to take the time to hack it you can have options. I have the time to hack a radio but don't feel like dropping a couple hundred on a radio. It's all in opinion.

~2-8 Channels ~Assign ANY key to ANY function
~60 Model Memory ~Dual esc, 4WS, & Brake Mixing
~Trim & Sub Trim's ~ Multi-Position (2-8 True Pos,)
~Expo & Dual Rates ~Channel Turn & Return Speed
~End Point Adjustments ~Timers
~ABS ~Adjustable Inactivity and Low Volt. Alarm
~AND MORE!

This is from Overkill rc.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I use a DX6i for my junk. I can use the radio for multiple vehicles, each vehicle just needs its own Rx. The only down side to this is- if I want to let someone else use one of my rigs for a trail ride, we need to switch out the Rx for their radio gear.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
If you want to take the time to hack it you can have options. I have the time to hack a radio but don't feel like dropping a couple hundred on a radio. It's all in opinion.

~2-8 Channels ~Assign ANY key to ANY function
~60 Model Memory ~Dual esc, 4WS, & Brake Mixing
~Trim & Sub Trim's ~ Multi-Position (2-8 True Pos,)
~Expo & Dual Rates ~Channel Turn & Return Speed
~End Point Adjustments ~Timers
~ABS ~Adjustable Inactivity and Low Volt. Alarm
~AND MORE!

This is from Overkill rc.
I was referring to rtr non-computer radios.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Be mindful that the futaba has no rx memory. Just settings for the respective model. If you had 2 rigs bound to the same futaba radio and they are both on, you can control them both simultaneously. I think this is a huge drawback.

I wanted to have 2 4pls for all my rigs so I can have my friend drive my other rigs. But it's not possible without rx memory.

Spektrum on the other hand has rx memory.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytogen View Post
Be mindful that the futaba has no rx memory. Just settings for the respective model. If you had 2 rigs bound to the same futaba radio and they are both on, you can control them both simultaneously. I think this is a huge drawback.

I wanted to have 2 4pls for all my rigs so I can have my friend drive my other rigs. But it's not possible without rx memory.

Spektrum on the other hand has rx memory.
You just have to bind one rx to each tx, or am I missing something?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

let's say I have 6 rigs, all with futaba RXs. I would love to have all of them bound to both my radios. So I know, what ever rigs I take, either one of my TXs will work with them through the model select. Lets say a buddy comes along and wants to drive, throw him the other radio and have them select a model. with a futaba, this is not possible cuz as soon as buddy turns on the tx, there is interference.

no, you're not missing anything, it's more of a convenience thing. binding in the field is a bit difficult as all my RXs are stashed away in radio boxes or some other convoluted way.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I currently have dx3e with a scx10 & a bully. I am now just switching the rx between the models. my thought is to sell the dx3e tx & get the dx3c & use my existing 300 rx along with the new one.....

thoughts??

thanks!!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
let's say I have 6 rigs, all with futaba RXs. I would love to have all of them bound to both my radios. So I know, what ever rigs I take, either one of my TXs will work with them through the model select. Lets say a buddy comes along and wants to drive, throw him the other radio and have them select a model. with a futaba, this is not possible cuz as soon as buddy turns on the tx, there is interference.

no, you're not missing anything, it's more of a convenience thing. binding in the field is a bit difficult as all my RXs are stashed away in radio boxes or some other convoluted way.
This is a good point...not sure why Futaba over looked this. (at first I thought this might be a rare circumstance, but the more I think about it, perhaps not.)
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #16

I do this with Traxxas radio gear. I have 4 radios that are bound to all of my trucks. Powering up the radios and trucks in sequence pairs them correctly (although every once in awhile it takes a couple tries). This allows me to use my nice radio for whichever kit I want to run and still lend out another one to a buddy using one of my cheaper 2ch radios.
growlinsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I have looked into this myself. I wanted to have one radio and multiple RX's. This works best with TX's with model memory, to avoid servo reversing in the field.

On the other hand, today I had 3 vehicles running at once (My kid, her friend, and I). All on different radios. For this, it comes in handy to have seperate systems. So, for the time being, I have a shelf just for TX's.

Slash- traxxas 2.4ghz
Rusty- traxxas fm
FX-10- Futaba am sport
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

I understand your point but you are the rarity. I don't know many people who have more then 1 rig they would lend out. I own a 4pl and have all my fav rigs on it (10 rigs total in my garage). The rig I let my kid use has a stock tx/rx as he is 4 and not going to risk it. For the spare rig I lend out to my buds, I have it on a spectrum dx3c which I got for a smokin deal. Otherwise it would be on a stock tx/rx aswell.

So What I guess I am getting at is you have more loaner rigs then most people can even afford to own. A problem most would love to have.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I like how this gets switched around as me being the problem.

Just passing on the experiences I have. If someone else has this scenario, then Futaba may not be the way to go.

I'm considering a swap to Spektrum to get around this.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like how this gets switched around as me being the problem.
I must have missed that post.

multiple radios? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helicopter Radios vs Surface Radios orianthi Newbie General 6 12-19-2010 08:22 PM
!!! Radios !!!!!!!!! DwaneO New Mexico 5 03-20-2010 05:58 PM
HELP i'm considering 2 different radios losikid Electronics 6 11-15-2009 07:34 PM
2.4 radios Mr.Cool Electronics 11 12-14-2008 02:30 AM