Thread: High clearance links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: High clearance links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Hey Hey Hey, leave crap alone..
My redneck spidey sense tells me that solid plate is stronger than something with webbing.. The thickness difference is nominal though, and do we know what Blade uses to make his?

Just so its known... I don't care for high clearance links anyway :P ;)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcfr34
and don't be gay, don't copy some-one elses design! why not either buy a set..or make some that look totally different?
this is as far as i read in ur post, but personnaly why not use an already proven design. if nobody copied anybody else in some way in building thier trucks, we would have very few trucks around here because all the ideas would already have been taken. this is just my 2 cents, but does anyone else agree with me?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Grizzly, sorry about the . The speech was honest, the flip off guy was sarcasm, didn't mean to russel any feathers with him.
Spooky7 If you would have taken the time to read from the start you would see I was quoting someone in the beginning of my post. Not sure why it wasn't highlighted.
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

I agree with you spookyseven , there are only so many ways to make a hammer.
If it works use it.
I have already spoken with blade on another thread about his links, not to say that he stole an idea but to say that i liked his way of adding his shock mounts to HIS high clearence link design.
And as far as making your own stuff goes i say all the best to you , cause thats usually when the best ideas comeabout,if everybody just paid for stuff ,every body would have the same thing.Not every one can make there own stuff so thats where companys like Centipede engineering ,Mico Engineering, RC Backyard ,Inet,Crawler Store,Custom Crawlers , RC RockGear ,ETC ETC just to name a few (sorry if i didnt mention someone who might get up set)

Eggressor , yes you are right about 7075 alloy but can you back me with a loan to get some stuff made up out of 7075 and give grants out for guys that want to buy it off me.?
The price difference is huge over here and for what we do with these little trucks 6061 is probably a little over kill any way.
Steel is definitely a good way to go ,but just means you have to be more carfull to keep the weight of the truck down.

Dave ,the lateral strength of a given object is measred in straight lines ,therefore strength can actually be kept at similar rates if webbing is used and triangulated in stressed areas ,so if something has a stress point or line and it is strengthened with a webbing it retains most of its strength while losing alot of its weight,which is the aim in most engineering purposes.To use a solid lump of steel or alloy may work but suffers from weight restrictions,no design flare(big whoop.?) and has only minimal strength advantages.
Thats what i was getting at before
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:11 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5
Because I live in the USA and I support my Country. Any problem with that?

Nope, I was just wondering!
XFACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Dave ,the lateral strength of a given object is measred in straight lines ,therefore strength can actually be kept at similar rates if webbing is used and triangulated in stressed areas ,so if something has a stress point or line and it is strengthened with a webbing it retains most of its strength while losing alot of its weight,which is the aim in most engineering purposes.To use a solid lump of steel or alloy may work but suffers from weight restrictions,no design flare(big whoop.?) and has only minimal strength advantages.
Thats what i was getting at before
I gotcha ;) Where is that train wreck picture? This thread is toast
Old 01-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got rear ended in my 04 Suburban today.... 4 car pile up... I was in the front. While everyone else's cars were totalled and needed flat beds, I drove away with 2 dents in my bumper.

Buy American -

You know..it's coments like this that can get attention, the wrong attention.

People who buy a Chevy, GMC, Ford or other "American Made" rigs tend to think that they are made in the USA........

Being that I am in the automotive industry I've seen where a lot of parts come from and take notice to where they are made. When I was "doing time" for GMC I noticed that a lot, I mean a lot of parts came from Canada and Australia. More came from China, Japan and Mexico. Hardly any of those "American Made" autos are made in the USA.... they are parts built from everywhere else but the USA. They just assemble the autos here.

So slbks5, are you telling me that everything in your life is ONLY made in the USA? I highly doubt it. BTW, your Suburban isn't really American, it's a Mexician/Aussie/Canadain/Japanese/Chinese made piece of metal

[Hijack mode off]
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:48 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What that the 3 foreign cars all needed flatbeds to go home as I left with 2 dents in my bumper. I will always buy the largest SUV chevy makes.... hell of allot more safer than a little car.

This the the funniest thread I have seen!!! I guess it will be closing time soon.
Large SUVs ARE NOT SAFER! Buying the largest SUV that Chevy makes just... I won't get into it :P

My toyota was mostly made in america ;) And, Toyo is right, most american manufacturers get a lot of foreign parts to build their vehicles. Not Ford trucks though, just gotta look for that sticker that says built in Dearborn

Last edited by SR5Dave; 01-22-2005 at 10:50 PM.