Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: High clearance links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default High clearance links

I've searched and looked around, but unable to find a great amount of info on high clearance links. I would like to build some, but I need to see some installed. I have seen only a few, one of which I will not be duplicating due to all 4 bending at once. Anyhow your suggestions/pics/ideas/experience is greatly appreciated. Later Ken
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: High clearance links

Look at all the premade ones on MFGs website's; you are bound to see them installed there.

I'd say make some from tube, and bend the tube up, with however much of a bend you want. Maybe cut out the bend in wood with a router bit (or whatever you have) so you can lay the tube in there to make sure they're all the same.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking tube initally,but I have some 1/8" alumn plate left over after cutting my chassis out. So, I'll check around before I go with the tube, hell, may end up doing the tube links after all. Who knows? Thanks Dave, Ken...Do you know some of the leading MFG's?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

OR You could buy some centipede engineering (MTPA) ones that are alot stronger and wont bend : These are proven, and alot of trucks run them..and no-one has had problems with them...

and don't be gay, don't copy some-one elses design! why not either buy a set..or make some that look totally different?

heres some pics!

XFACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFACTOR
and don't be gay, don't copy some-one elses design! why not either buy a set..or make some that look totally different?
Making stuff on your own is never gay. I think buying your rig is gay. Even if you copy an existing design because you know its good. Nothing wrong with saving some cash and knowing you made it yourself
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Quote:
Making stuff on your own is never gay. I think buying your rig is gay. Even if you copy an existing design because you know its good. Nothing wrong with saving some cash and knowing you made it yourself
I didn't mean making your own stuff is gay!! I'm all for making your own stuff!! However I don't believe that copying someone elses design is very good...wouldn't you rather build something that no-one else has?? And be original?

Toyo would agree, remember a few weeks back with the guy having a 'Rockraider copy' and his would go better than a rock raider?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't mean making your own stuff is gay!! I'm all for making your own stuff!! However I don't believe that copying someone elses design is very good...wouldn't you rather build something that no-one else has?? And be original?

Toyo would agree, remember a few weeks back with the guy having a 'Rockraider copy' and his would go better than a rock raider?
Well, I think modeling after something isn't that bad. Making your own junk and being inventive is cooler.

And I thought the rockraider thing was just funny because he just called it a rockraider instead of his clone
Old 01-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

which ones look more professional though?

I know which ones I'd rather have even if price wasnt a factor..

and how much did they cost??
Old 01-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I know I'd bend MTPAs in a heartbeat ;) Those others are beef.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quote:

how do you KNOW??? there are a sh!t load of trucks that run them now..and no-one has bent one...and I'd be the first person to do so if they did (and they wont)....I rolled down 10 stairs at speed and each step being 40cm high..and they didnt bend....The body did though

The MTPA ones are slightly narrower I think? but they are built stronger..
Old 01-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

We all know mine are the shiznit here right?

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

how do you KNOW??? there are a sh!t load of trucks that run them now..and no-one has bent one...and I'd be the first person to do so if they did (and they wont)....I rolled down 10 stairs at speed and each step being 40cm high..and they didnt bend....The body did though

Because I've snapped a 1/4" solid aluminum link in half
Old 01-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because I've snapped a 1/4" solid aluminum link in half
LOL...did you roll it off a cliff?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've done all sorts of crazy chit I'm called the carnage king for a reason!

MTPA looks like a great unit, even if its a better alloy than the 1/4" thick ones with no 'speed holes' I'd aim for the 1/4ers... Just because it would give me more peace of mind.

For anyone else, they'd probably want to aim for the lighter units, and should, but not me!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quote:
I've done all sorts of crazy chit I'm called the carnage king for a reason!

MTPA looks like a great unit, even if its a better alloy than the 1/4" thick ones with no 'speed holes' I'd aim for the 1/4ers... Just because it would give me more peace of mind.

For anyone else, they'd probably want to aim for the lighter units, and should, but not me!
Well yeh, I guess we build our trucks for how we drive...If you drive it like hell...I'd probably get the thicker links too I've seen some of your damage post..and man do you break parts
Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5

I prefer stuff built in the USA
May I ask why?? is it because you live in america...or because you believe the quality is better??

I tend to buy stuff for my clod from australia (mainly because the r/c backing here is cr*p so I wanna support a local company..), but things like tyres, servos, trucks like the savage/revo etc..I'd buy from the USA...mainly because it's cheaper..

although half the cr*p is chinese sh!t
Old 01-21-2005, 03:47 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Hey Hey Hey, leave shit alone..
First off we never asked to be compared with Blades stuff and for another thing, the people that are having at a go at our product have probably never seen it let alone used any of it so do not compare something that you have no idea the quality and make.
Both Adam and my self have both drafting and engineering backgrounds so we pride ourselves in the quality and design charecteristics of all our gear,if any one knows anything worth knowing about this subject they would know that it is not the thickness of the material that counts but the design and engineering that makes a strong unit, whatever that may be.
Why do you think bridges arnt just solid lumps of steel,thay are triangulated lengths of the most suitable material that will span a width .
Our High clearence links are made from 6061 aircraft grade alloy ,they are 5mm in thickness square ,so that is only just smaller than your 1\4 inch alloy links but are triangulated to gain the most strength ,they would actaully equate to more than four times that thickness due to the webbing and strengthening .Thay are not there for speed holes or mere ways of lightening the unit but strengthening while retaining the lowest weight possible.
Snapping a 1\4 inch length of alloy rod would only tell me that the alloy rod is crap , not that i drive to the extreme.

How bout we get back to the original topic here.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 AM   #18
RCC Addict

i think the best material , if it must be aluminium , is 7075
if you compare
alloy tensile strength yield strength
6061 195-315N/mm˛ 100-250N/mm˛
6082 195-320N/mm˛ 110-270N/mm˛
7075 420-530N/mm˛ 355-460N/mm˛

tensile strength = point of destruction
yield strength = point of nonreversible deformation (this point http://rccrawler.com/modules.php?nam...r=asc&start=15 8O

i prefer steel for my first crawler , its 300-400% stiffer than aluminium or 200% stiffer than titanium if you compare the same profile
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

What's wong with basing the components I build on someone's design? They say mimiking is one of the best forms of flattery. Some reasons I don't own someone else's brain child: Money doesn't grow on trees where I'm from, when complete I can say I built it, I'll have a firmer knowledege of my truck and it's capabilities, I learn things that will allow me to design my own components, ...... It's easy to pay someone to build a truck so I can enjoy it. Even easier to keep paying them as parts break, of course I'll never break anything cause my skills are so great . If it's gay to want to build your own, but not quite understand the design dynamics behind said piece, I'm a dumb fireman, not a mechanical engineer, then yes I smoke a big meat pipe. I'm not out to steal anyone's ideas and call them my own. If I copy something then they get the credit. Just like the chassis I cut out, it resembles the dragoon on craftlabs site. Is it as good, hell no. I don't have that guys skills, but it's functional and'll do. If I should ever come up wiyh something, you can bet I'll allow anyone to copy it. Hell I'll even send'em a drawing. It could happen, I have some original ideas. They will have to wait until I get my crawler with all 4 on the ground and moving foreward. So
Old 01-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcfr34
So
That whole speech was sarcasm? You were just kidding? I was impressed until then.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote