Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawler into basher >> waste of money ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Default Crawler into basher >> waste of money ?

I’m kind of perplexed why someone would spend $1500-2000 to turn a wraith into a high speed basher. This is just an example and I randomly choose the wraith.

I often see builds with thousands of dollars of extras, beefed up parts, brushless motors and electronics etc… And in the end the results is a fast, fragile crawler that has been turned into something it wasn’t designed to do. And it doesn’t do it very well.

Why not just spend the $500 for a rtr HPI Savage and have a hella fast, super durable, and fun basher. I’ve been running my Savage for a couple of years and literally beat the living piss out of it and it just keeps on running. 20’ jumps, 30 mph into curbs, crashes that make me hold my breath. I’m sure you get the picture. Sure I break the occasional plastic part, but it cost me $5-10 to fix usually.

So what’s the deal and the allure of turning a crawler based RC into some sort of high speed basher and dumping thousands into it when you can get something 1000% better for way, way less money?
eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Crawler into basher >> waste of money ?

people like what they like.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Essentially any of the crawler are just shortcourse trucks or such but with solid axles. I have seen plenty of basher crawlers that hold up great and don't have thousands in them. My scx10 basher is running a velinion out of a slash with minor upgrades and holds up a lot better than my built slash with the same motor. If you don't see the point then don't do it but I see no problem with it.
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

Here's my Axial based go fast.
I built it to take on vacation to FL when I visit my sister.
I take the wheels off/unscrew the links at the skid and it fits in a backpack no problem

Plus, it feels good to "design/build" something that works well.
In the sand, where I built it to run, I think runs better than most off the shelf trucks.

Here it is on 2s... it's insane on 3s!
The camera framing gets better about 15 second in.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 10-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Why would anyone spend 500 on something that can't crawl?

Just tossing the shoe on the other foot
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

No, no, no. I’m not trying to debate or cause an argument. I’m just trying to see what the benefit is of hopping up a scx10 or wraith platform into a strict basher. It cost a ton of money to turn a axial based rig into a durable basher and I’m trying to determine if it is worth it as I can get a basher based platform that does the job better for much, much less.

When I read about a scx10 or wraith with a brushless 13.5t and 3s or 4s lipo setup, all I hear is that “well, you better upgrade the ENTIRE drive train/trans/axle/wheels or else you’ll be leaving a trail of parts behind”.

I can get a lipo or nitro basher out of the box or kit that doesn’t need all those upgrades. I know, I’ve got one. And I also have a scx10 stock that if I wanted to replace the entire drive train it would cost $1000 alone. So I’m just trying to figure out what the point it?

I get great satisfaction in fabrication, electrical, and metal work. Those are my hobbies so I understand the fun in making a RC into something you want. Just trying to see what motivates people, and I’m not saying its anywhere near wrong, just getting ideas.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

A wraith basher is a scale basher so it is going to give up some performance in trade for looking real. A savage doesn't really look like anything real so some of the experience is already lost.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Scale Detail Engineering

My scalers are built how you're describing... I compete with them.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 10-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yep, ill agree with nigel partially. I think it depends on what your version of bashing is bud. Im with you on why guys wanna turn these trail rigs into some street bashing go fast rigs when we have plenty of other rcs out there far more capable of the high speeds and black and blue beatings of a lifetime we have dreams of giving them, however...... the savage and those go fast rigs wouldnt last a minute on my trails that are truly rock, root and dirt based. Ever try to take your savage up a flight of stairs? Sure it jumps them but let the suspension try to go back up or even climb a rock with out hitting it at ridiculous high speeds. You see my point im sure. The possibilities for a wraith to become a basher, scx or whatever trail rig are already there. I for one have spent a ridiculous amount on my wraith to make it survive this ridiculous trails, I want to beat the crap out of it on the trails and see it smile and wave back at me. Bottom line is some people want the best of both worlds in a single platform and if they can get that in a scale realistic package for honestly cheaper than you think and most certainly cheaper than buying an maintaining 2 rigs then by all means do it and some people just like the challenge.

Lik

Thanks,
LIK

Last edited by OFFROADRCKOREA; 10-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nah not trying to argue either. If going 30mph and jumping off a ramp to do a backflip is your thing then yeah I'd definitely recommend a savage. But to do some scale crawling and have a fast-ish scaler that's tough and can still do a backflip off a rock, that'll cost ya. Then there's those who take that package and be happy with it toned down a couple notches.

And also the savages are tougher now than before the 29/9 diff gears, they're still not bulletproof imo. I tore up plenty of bulkheads, tvps and trans cases on 6s. Everything is relative.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

a Savage is far from indestructible
tough, but not bullet-proof ;)
crawlerpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Where do you come up with these numbers ? I have nowhere near that in any of my rigs and beat the shit out of them .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
Where do you come up with these numbers ? I have nowhere near that in any of my rigs and beat the shit out of them .
I guess I'm just informally doing the math at most of the builds as I look through the wraith forum. And also from Harleys "how to make your wraith.." post. I just assumed that that particular platform needed all of that stuff to make it survive as a go fast crawler.

Looks like I'll be putting some money into my scx10!

I'm still trying to decide between brushless and brushed and 2s or 3s. I'm concerned about how many parts I'm going to be breaking, heheeheee. That is a topic for another post though.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

It is the same for the 1:1 stuff. Why build a RockBouncer buggy for $50,000 plus with a huge V8, when you can build a really nice Jeep/Toyota crawler with a simple 4 or 6 cyl for $10,000?

Answer is: Because people enjoy their own ways of spending their hard earned money and they want to squeeze every bit of fun out of it.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 10-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler into basher >> waste of money ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today has been a total waste of my bosses money. djjiz Chit Chat 3 10-19-2011 10:23 AM
New on Lipos, how to no waste money in overpowered LIPOS. raolguio Electronics 6 11-03-2010 03:08 PM
why waste the money usmc-walker Axial XR10 39 08-26-2010 10:15 PM