Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: sawback or dingo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default sawback or dingo?

I'm gonna be house bound for the next few months so It will be a good time to build a new kit. So far it will go as follows:
1) airtronics rds8000 tx/rx
2) holmes wp esc
3) integy 35t lathe motor
4) hitec wp 645 servo

Now I just need to decide on the kit. I know the dingo is proven and a ton of parts out there. However this gmade looks real serious and price is good. Plus the gmade is new so it will get a ton of attention during gtgs ugh, i stink at decisions. Any opinions?

)
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: sawback or dingo?

Hard to have a opinion about something no one has seen yet... You can get the dingo now and start building the sawback welll who knows...
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

True, then I can have my own opinion.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I got a 645, way to weak. Mines hardwired to the battery (using 2s) id imagine its putting out 130-150oz.-in. So im looking into 300+ oz servos. Or dual 645s...at least with my weighted plastic 2.2 rims with cut foams. I'd imagine a 1.9 rig with metal rims and weights will probably give you the same resistance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
I'm gonna be house bound for the next few months so It will be a good time to build a new kit. So far it will go as follows:
1) airtronics rds8000 tx/rx
2) holmes wp esc
3) integy 35t lathe motor
4) hitec wp 645 servo

Now I just need to decide on the kit. I know the dingo is proven and a ton of parts out there. However this gmade looks real serious and price is good. Plus the gmade is new so it will get a ton of attention during gtgs ugh, i stink at decisions. Any opinions?

)
fitisbamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The dingo, or any scx10, is already a proven platform. granted the sawback looks like it has taken alot of cues from the scx based rigs. i would start with the scx10 personally there are tons of great threads and tech info on the truck. You can also get em pretty decently priced right now at RPP, Tower also has some great coupons and does the flex pay thing if youre on a budget.
as for a servo, i would look into the hitec 5995 or 7995 not too hard on the wallet, and plenty of torque to get you by.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
The dingo, or any scx10, is already a proven platform. granted the sawback looks like it has taken alot of cues from the scx based rigs. i would start with the scx10 personally there are tons of great threads and tech info on the truck. You can also get em pretty decently priced right now at RPP, Tower also has some great coupons and does the flex pay thing if youre on a budget. as for a servo, i would look into the hitec 5995 or 7995 not too hard on the wallet, and plenty of torque to get you by.
X2
Buy a better servo than 645... That's to weak!
7955 would be good
Better to spend the little extra $ up front rather than burn up the 645s cause they are to weak.
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
However this gmade looks real serious and price is good. Plus the gmade is new so it will get a ton of attention during gtgs ugh, i stink at decisions.
The attention won't mean diddly if the rig doesn't perform. Go with an SCX based rig. More then enough options and support.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
The attention won't mean diddly if the rig doesn't perform. Go with an SCX based rig. More then enough options and support.
True didn't even think of that. Thanks Addicted
Old 10-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I agree with addicted parts everywhere for an scx. Plus gmade isnt known for their quaility component rigs but I would take a stock rtr scx out of the box and whip some ass lol. Its all about the driver lol. Axial parts arent great for the long run either but they def get the job done when needed.

Thanks,
ORK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well decided to go with the Jeep Wrangler rtr. I cannot beat the price. All the $ I save can go towards upgrades.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sawback body on scx platform...
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Sawback body on scx platform...
★Military style ★
Old 01-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

i just got done comparing the two.. i have both with identical servo, motor, esc, and programming in esc. in the woods on steep trails and in deep rocks, the sawback was easier to drive and made difficult lines where the scx needed multiple tries. that said, the scx has more articulation and travel, but the saw felt more planted and stable. this is even after much suspension tuning on the scx, and straight outta the box setup on the saw..( i did one mod, added anti-wrap bars, but they limit travel even more)

now the drawbacks to the sawback... no slipper clutch, and limited options on "off the shelf" parts. its a good truck and worth serious consideration.
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I've personally seen a few build videos on the new sawback and one thing a few people have said is they really like how every thing is held together with a nut on the other side. Your not screwing into plastic, but the draw back they all said they didnt like was the fact the sawback is all phillips heads. If your like me you really like the hex heads a lot. They are easy to work with, and your used to it. There are a limit of parts to that you can find, but I'm sure with them flying off the shelf, they are bound to produce some stuff for them soon.

It's a tough one. I personally want a sawback just cause I don't have one and it looks awesome. That's me. Good luck on your choice.
CodesEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
True, then I can have my own opinion.
No you can't. This is the internet.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote

sawback or dingo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my Dingo Smokebomb Axial SCX-10 5 04-19-2013 10:59 AM
Just a Dingo highwaystar 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-06-2012 06:41 PM
new dingo gunatrytocrawl Axial SCX-10 7 06-28-2011 09:59 PM