Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: bully axles v/s axial xr axles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default bully axles v/s axial xr axles.

Im about to build an moa and was wandering opinions. Which would you build? Bully cast or axial xr's. Ive had never built/driven an xr and would like to hear peoples opinions that have drove both. What the pros/cons. Which performed better. I already have z bully setup to start building on. Heres what i got - bully cast axles with light weight kit for the rear. V4 shafts. Titanium bent links, BJ V4 chassis, outcry dual esc, HH 35t hand wounds, alum wheels with boss claws, flysky gt3b hacked.
mudd_slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Fifth dimension

Default Re: bully axles v/s axial xr axles.

You have even more options than that. Dlux moa axles are fully built, ready to rock. I believe it takes the same amount of money to get the axles right no matter the brand. Go through xr and berg build threads and read a few pages. I'm a berg guy, if I was starting from scratch, Erik D at dlux and Will at rcbros would be my direction for cases, gears and tubes.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Depends what you want to do..
If you want parts that you can bolt together, go with the XR axles. Little to no machine or custom work is needed.
To get the same level of performance out of the bully axles, takes quite a bit more custom work. A lot of the guys I competed with had bullys and conerted over to Bergs or the XR10.
I started with a XR10 from day 1, and had a very reliable truck, that outperformed me as a driver.

Last year I converted and went to a set of Berg/Custom axles. Just look up Ti-Fighters or Al-Fighters. But be careful, your wallet might scream.

Another option you shouldn't over look is the new Bully 2 axles that RC4WD is putting together.
I am excited to see those and can't wait to get my hands on a set.

Just like crawllife said though, if you want to go Berg, RcBros and Dlux are the guys to call. They will have what you need.
Another option is Bulldog, he is making replacement delrin/carbon fiber housing that use the stock Berg parts.
Decisions Decisions.

Most important part, build it, understand how it works, and drive it. Nothing beats experience.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bully axles v/s axial XR axles.

I've had both, Bully cast & XR-10 (bought used with mods).

My Bully's were bought used from here (my son didn't want to crawl alone, so he built me a 2.2p rig).

I read through the Bully thread and started modding. Started with a single servo & servo dig on my Futaba 3PM-x, then a WantAmix & dual ESC's on the Futaba. Then onto dual ESC's with a hacked GT3B.
The TX change made a lot of difference, modes helped as well.
I basically couldn't break the Bully, great beginners rig.

Then my son bought a used XR-10...... I drove it.... WOW!... I mean WOW!!

It would do things easily that the modded Bully had issues with or couldn't do.

Then I bought a used (modded with lots of VP parts) XR-10 with a stock chassis.
Leaps & bounds above my modded Bully.

I still have both, Bully is great for beginners since I don't have to worry about much.
The XR-10 had been modded more and just plain goes almost everywhere I want. It can be better, but it's still better than I.

Early on, keep in mind drive time makes a lot more difference than the rig. A good driver can do well with a "50%" rig, a poor driver can suck with a "120%" rig.

I have not seen the new Bully-II axles in person, but someone I trust has been running them and providing feedback to the MFR. It would be worth a look.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the geat input guys.
mudd_slinger is offline   Reply With Quote