Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Truck smoking after water submersion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Truck smoking after water submersion

I was out having fun tonight doing some night crawling at an abandoned development area. I eventually crossed the road and noticed a nice rocky pond at this condo and decided to play around. I had already completed extensive waterproofing on my Honcho and had gone thru water before a couple of times. This time I had almost fully submersed my truck with no issues and drove thru the water two times. On my way home I decided to try out another water hole and when driving towards it I noticed smoke billowing out from the from of the Honcho. Quickly I ripped off the body pins, removed my body, unplugged my light bar, and disconnected both my batteries.

I examined the Honcho for any damage and couldn't find anything. The batteries looked normal and were not puffy. There was a hint of an electrical smell but I couldn't smell it. When I got home I setup on the concrete floor with some safety glasses and a fire extinguisher and performed some testing. Everything seems to be operational. I couldn't smell an electrical smell on the ESC, motor, receiver, or any of my other electronics or batteries.

Here is my setup:

Tekin FXR ESC and HD 35T motor
Spectrum surface 4 channel receiver
HeyOK electronics
Turnigy Nano-tech batteries
3Racing winch

Everything (with exception to the motors) is plastidipped and all wire entrances are coated in silicone and wrapped tight in silicone tape.

I have not been able to generate smoke and I tested the truck for a good 5 minutes while running the motor under medium to heavy load. All testing was done with the original setup when the truck smoked.

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?
FJCruiserTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I had a similar thing happen to me. It came from the motor for sure on mine. I think I read here on rcc the tekin hd motors dont like water. It's the only motor thats done it to me. Just my .02
colebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Truck smoking after water submersion

I had a similar experience as well, except the water I was running was pretty dirty. Running on dirt hills after and I saw some smoke. Shut everything down and tore it apart. I checked everything but the internals on the motor. Turned it back on and it ran fine for about a half an hour, got a little wedged and gave it some throttle to hop out and smoked out again. This time the motor was dead, completely burned out. Chocked it up to dirty water and my failure to clean the thing properly after running in it.

Cheers,
Dick
Mrdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I will do a tear down of my motor and will hope it lasts more than a half an hour!
FJCruiserTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Truck smoking after water submersion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless water run...look out lots of flying water Dogbreath Videos! 12 11-27-2010 12:50 PM
jeep grand cherokee water truck smitty3896 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 16 10-25-2010 02:16 PM
anyone done this? water skipping arctic style truck? stevomr2turbo Non Crawler RC's 13 01-10-2009 10:59 PM
1:1 truck water crossing vid Racefan1115 Chit Chat 6 12-13-2006 06:32 PM
how deep can your truck get in muddy water? xtremcrawler General Crawlers 26 07-18-2005 06:57 PM