Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: need advice on buying a moa crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #1

Default need advice on buying a moa crawler

So I'm not new to the crawling/scaler seen but I am new to moa crawlers and I'm looking at buying a moa crawler just mind boggled and need some advice... so I was planning on buy the rtr bully comp crawler but I'm having second thoughts on that cause I know the axle aren't that great and that I would be putting the bully 2 axles in it as soon as the became available again, electeonics suck so I would be replacing those and I don't care for the chassy.. so what do I do? Buy it Nd turn around and fork out more money to build it the way I want it or do I build one myself from the ground up? I want comp worthy not beginner worthy
w. cost crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need advice on buying a moa crawler

Best advice buy a star, it'll be the best 20$ investment into a crawler you can get, this will allow you to hit the classifieds and search for some well built capable rigs that have the work done to them already at far less than you would spend for new
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

This is fine advice, but personally, I don't do second hand. How can I learn about these mods if I don't do them myself, and how can I compete if I don't understand why my truck is modded the way it is.

The OP is in a genuine quandry. Does he beat his head on the wall to try to find Bergs from parts on ebay or something like that, does he risk buying an XR10 kit and buying a competent but slightly fragile axle that will soon have no parts availability and still needs a ton of mods to be comp worthy?

I'd say buy a set of the lightweight bullies if I hadn't bought the last ones from rc4wd (I kid you not, straight after ordering, they went discontinued).

OP, all I can say is I got lucky with the lightweights, I now have something to build while I too wait for the new bullies. I have no serious suggestions for you beyond that stated above (second hand), or taking a risk on one of the many discontinued axles.

I'm very nooby (to crawling, though I like to think I've done at least my market research) and may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you need to wait for the new bullies. In order to do that, you need to check the site (rc4wd) twice per day. Last time they opened a waiting list, it was open for 2 days only, I kicked myself that I missed it.
Foxy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

What the **** are bully axles?
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Rckcrwlr's RC4WD Bully 2 Comp Crawler 2013

That's a build based on the latest bully axle...
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You can build a complete berg axle from the vendors on this forum and although you have to buy everything new and not "second hand" doesn't mean that he does/will. I know if I tally up a 1800$ bill for new parts and can snag an extremely similar rig out of the classifieds for 700-800$, well my common sense is going to kick in. With the build threads and info available to us there should be little to no reason left for him to wonder why this was done or this parts is like this etc.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

You're right, hence I said 'personally'. I'm in it for the tweaking every bit as much as the driving.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need advice on buying a MOA crawler

OP, a couple choices.

1-buy used (cheapest way to go), I would suggest a semi built XR-10, either roller or just axles (I picked up a fresh rebuilt set of axles with a lot of VP parts for ~$300). Roller gets you running quickly and then you could change chassis later.

2-XR-10, look up the XR-10 sticky to see what is recommended, then buy VP (or other brand) upgrades (better axles, knuckles, maybe case 1/2) and then buy OEM parts to complete the axles. Then pick a chassis, lots to chose from.

3-New Bully 2 axles. The originals were dang near bulletproof but needed work to keep up with an XR-10 (you could do it, but were still limited). Then pick a chassis.

Electronics....... 4 channel radio that can do ESC mixing (Futaba 4PL or hacked GT3B/C would be my recommendations), Holmes Hobbies mini BR-XL's (great brushed ESC, works with Castle link, almost no limits on battery or motor), Castle external 10A BEC, HiTec 7950 servo or Futaba bl197(?) servo, Holmes or Br00d 35T motors or equivalent.
Battery, 3S LiPO ~450mah 45C+ with Deans connectors.

Tires, Sedonas or Voodoos, Crawler Innovations (CI) foams.

Wheels, too many choices.

Start building.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #9

Ok so u all r a bunch of help... I'm not in a super hurry to build my moa simple because moa crawlers don't exsist here everone is into scalers scx10, wraiths and so on... don't get me wrong I like them to... but when I first started the whole crawling seen I had got a super class moa crawler and I loved it but everyone else was running 1/10 so I traded for 2 gas trucks sold those and bought a new wraith.. well long story short ever since I got rid of my moa I have been wnating on but only tenth scale. So now that I am working I want to build/buy one. So I already have my mind set on axle, I'm getting the new bully 2 axles no ifs ands or butts about lol.. I won't buy electronics have had some bad deals in the past with used, so I will be buying new... so I need put in the right direction for a chassy with links and wheels, I can handle the electronics end of the deal and tires
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #10

Well I'm getting new bully 2 axles to begin with... so I need help with a chassy links and wheels, I'm buying new electronics... but I can't start any of this until after xmas wife said so lol. Just trying to get a head start on my research...
Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

MOA's?
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #12

As I just posted in the axle supply thread, the lack of available comp crawlers is frustrating for a crawler noob like myself.
I've been RCing for 25yrs so like to think I know what I'm doing and yet I'm in a quandary as to which direction to head.
2nd hand seems to be my best bet
Bennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #13

So since I started this post here... took ur guys advice and some others advice and contacted erik at dlux fab and had him build me up a set mt gear boxes with berg gears and deleting tubes bully knuckles and knuckle weights total spent on axles $700.. then a good friend is selling me his dlux truck chassis with titanium links for a killer deal of 135... next will be electronics which ill be going with 7980 or 7950 servo, 2 holmes hobbie 35t motors, br mini stacked esc from homeless hobbie, and either the 4pls new or a used 4pk.. I have also built a sporty ax10 that needs better electronics and the over/under drive gear set... will also be ordering some custom titanium links from dlux fab for it and I'm currently running the swx chassis at the moment not sure if I'm going to stick with it or upgrade it...

Tags
bully crawler, burg, crawler build, moa

need advice on buying a moa crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice, buying new remote SunShine Electronics 2 09-21-2012 02:04 PM
making an MOA crawler and want some advice gm0688 Electronics 13 12-17-2010 05:01 PM
Buying Slash 4x4 PE, any advice? crazyorigin Non Crawler RC's 12 02-06-2010 10:23 AM
Spektrum DX3S buying advice grimgard Electronics 3 01-27-2009 11:26 AM
Need Advice on Buying Silver Solder From Ebay Please!!!! TheHeadHunter Tools, and Procedures 1 07-01-2008 12:42 PM