Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Pre-Comp Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Pre-Comp Maintenance

I thought it would be cool to start a thread on pre-comp maintenance. What do you all like to lube, adjust, etc.? Checklists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colbstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Pre-Comp Maintenance

Everyone has seen at least a few people hit their LiPo cutoff on the second or third gate. Check your battery!

Or are you talking about general maintenance? I guess I thought you were talking about what you look for before you run.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Most of the time we do maintenance after events and comps so you can just grab a truck and go for the next one

Charge batteries and bring enough of them. 2 1300mah lipos WILL NOT get yout through a G6

Check wheel nuts.
Check shock screws at the chassis.
Fresh batteries in the radios

Pack ALL the tools and parts you may need, don't expect other people to supply you with tools or parts (thats kind of a gripe there.)
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Charge batteries the night before.

Then yell at the kid when my junk falls apart during a run!
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by semnmrc View Post
Charge batteries the night before.

Then yell at the kid when my junk falls apart during a run!

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....ROTFLMAO....... I did that once last year. We shared a rig (mine) and he, "cleaned up the wiring" (it could have used it....). There was a bad connection to a CC ESC, it shorted when I plugged it it.
I didn't see a "puff", but one ESC didn't work. Finally figured it out.

I donated my entry fee to the club.

As to the original question......

I check motors (may need brushes or a comm cut), check ALL rig hardware, try to remember what, "Pissed me off" during the last comp., fix as required.
Charge packs a day or so beforehand. Top off while onsite (I have a 7AH GelCell that powers my Venom ProCharger) and go run (hopefully).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbstromer View Post
I thought it would be cool to start a thread on pre-comp maintenance.
If I could just leave my sticky fingers off the truck, usually it'd just be a quick check of wheel nuts the night before (while charging my LiPos), and that was about it.
It seems pretty much every single comp, I would get the bright idea, the day before, to move this, install that, or hook so-and-so up differently. Always blew up in my face, and usually resulted in staying up 'til 5 or 6 am to get it right. But when I'd show up to comps, the truck was always ready to go.
Only DNS I ever took was because I blew out my servo during course 2 and refused to go downstairs and purchase a servo because they didn't have what I wanted. I don't know that I'd consider that a maintenance issue, though.

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Fifth dimension

Check your wheel nuts!!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Check your wheel nuts!!
The main thing I check, I throw the wrench on them the same time I plug the batt in. Even then I have had them come loose.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Check your wheel nuts!!
Touche!
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Check every screw to see if they have backed out.
Batteries (Which is the big thing that everyone is saying) But make sure to remember to pack them after charging, along with your remote and tool bag.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
RCC Addict

check batts in TX
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Check your wheel nuts!!
With my 2.2 Bully, that was every run....
With the XR-10, they're pretty good.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I do this before, during, and after a comp or a trail day. Check all of the fasteners, make sure batteries are charged, check the drive shafts for any weak or sloppy joints, check tires for any cuts and to make sure the beadlocks are still holding, and always make sure you bring tools, spare parts, and a charger!
rc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

Thanks for all the precomp tips and tricks guys. I tightened everything and double checked everything this morning, before my comps but still lost a nut on the trail. Bummer but no big deal, I was still able to finish and won my class. Overall a good day but now I have a solid list of things to do before hand next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colbstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i dont go to comps but i do go to a friends house every second sunday during the winter and we have a fun comp... its more of bullshit session and to get some stick time in.

when im getting ready to pack my stuff i dont usually do a whole lot until i get to my friends house but will charge batts the night before, kick the tires, check driveshafts etc.. we got together 2 weeks ago and i came home and checked everything, pulled the trans apart and regreased, found some play in the driveshafts so i swapped those out..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

This isn't really a pre-comp thing, more of a every time I run it kinda thing. I charge up a battery and run it through the truck. If it doesn't work or there's something wrong I fix it. Then charge all my batteries and I'm ready to comp or just drive it.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
RCC Addict

My advice would be:
Fix all the worn and half-broken parts!

I had an idle gear that I knew was halfway worn down.
Having used it in that state for quite a while during practice runs at home I thought it would last the competition as well. (And I had no spare wheel either.)

In the competition's first course I ran into a position locking the wheels just before reaching the first gate.
That was all needed to make the pinion slip on the idler.
Off course "repair" tightening the mesh allowed me to get through most of the remaining part of that course.
On the second course I wasn't even able to reach the first gate, with the truck coming to a halt after crossing a small bump.
The competition was over for me.

With a new idler in place at the start I would have ran all courses and likely cleared most of them...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Defy Gravity

goes about like this:

1) "check charge" (hook em up and make sure they are good across the board on charge) all batteries for the rig and tx.

2) electronics boot and small run to make sure connections are correct on the motor and i plugged everything into rx (boned me a couple times)

3) rig inspection. check for any broken components and hardware is all nice and snug.

4) tool inventory and backpack loading. all the normal hand drivers go into the pack, and by this time the batteries are usually done and ready to load in as well.

5) crate and parts bag loading. i load the rig into it's dedicated crate, when done loading, i lock the crate. same goes with the tx and charger case. the tx and charger case holds my field programming cards and harness to plug into 12v power source. once everything is in there, i lock it up as well. the parts bag has about 30 lbs of parts and hardware, all organized in fishing boxes. once all is accounted for, i lock it up as well. the locks are just simple visual ques that i have inspected and accounted for everything that goes in that container. carabiners and cable loops that are easily visible.

6) power tool charge and loadup. i usually have a 12v lithion driver set to do quick teardowns in the field. takes longer to track down crap than it does to charge the packs.

7) if i'm taking my truck, i bootup the inverter and make sure i have some extension cords and a power strip, along with my soldering station and some solder.

8 ) camera check, quick check the batteries and make sure i have more for it. also wipe the card.

9) load rig crate, parts bag, and power tools in vehicle the night before.

10) carry backpack out with me as i leave.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Pre-Comp Maintenance - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narcca pre- comp # 2 dred-eye Arizona 0 03-14-2013 11:36 PM
Big Dog Comp #5 - Last pre series comp - Sept 22nd Tin Soldier Pennsylvania 20 09-23-2012 02:43 PM
Comp Geeks: What Maintenance Should I Do When I Open My Case? Robb Chit Chat 23 03-17-2006 11:35 AM