Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ebay transfer case??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ebay transfer case??

was looking at this for a build. i think it will do fine as the truck will be mostly a shelf queen. but has anyone tried it? any good?

Transfer Case for SCX10 D90 RC4WD 1 10 RC Crawler 1 14 Tamiya Truck | eBay
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ebay transfer case??

It looks like a Dinky or GCM T-Case...
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am actually looking at that same case plus the forward motor mount. Like to see what people think
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That is a complete ripoff of a GCM case. Spend a little more and get the original.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I highly doubt this has the same hardened gears and shafts that the GCM has.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
That is a complete ripoff of a GCM case. Spend a little more and get the original.
X2... Do the right thing.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #7

I find you get what you pay for.

You can buy from a vendor here on RCC and get an item that is not only tested and proven, not even of better quality alloys, but most of all a connection to an actual person who cares about our hobby and willing to stand behind what they are selling.

vs. .... You can spend your hard earned money to some unknown jamoke in China that most likely has never even owned an RC toy that is selling cut rate low quality knock offs and could care less if it breaks or even if it arrives in working order at all.

Sure... Papal would ultimately cover your possible bad parts and you'd receive a full refund.

But.... You wouldn't be refunded all the time you wasted messing around with inferior junk, you wouldn't be using your RC the whole time it sat in pieces on the workbench while waiting for refund, or even worse... a replacement to roll the dice with all over again, nor would you have the piece of mind knowing whatever you bought was going to arrive in working order and last more then 5 feet of use.

A few bucks more to buy from an RCC vendor vs. buying knock-off crap on eBay? I guess the only way I would ever opt for the eBay crap would be if I was building a static model that was for display purposes only and never received electronics

Just my $.02 though.

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Go with the new Dinky setup! My man Rick from supershafty.com sells the complete setup. It's pricey, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better setup. Transmissions - Super Shafty
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

i got the knockoff tcase and fwd trans mount out of curiousity, i would use it on a mild, small diameter c1 rig or something i suppose. the tcase shafts look like the same material the rc4wd pinions are made of, and anybody who has ran a truck hard enough with those knows that they like to twist themselves off under high torque stress...

for the record i own 2 sets of the steel gcm metalhead axles, 4 gcm tcases and a gcm fwd trans mount. i also have a set of their jellybean beadlocks. my c2 and c3 rigs both run the metalheads and ive never had an issue with any of the gcm stuff other than me not properly thread locking the grub screws in the tcase pinions and them getting loose over time.

definitely choose gcm over that chinese stuff. ive met the guys personally and they are deserving of the money for their ideas.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have this case and it is actually pretty decent quality but these do have some issues... What I liked about it was the fact it has holes for a full pin on the driveshafts. The problem is they are oversized and a traxxas pin will have lots of slop. Using a long 3mm bolt is larger than the traxxas pin but the hole is still bigger. Oh and then there is the fact that you cant fit 2 MIP driveshafts since the input and front output are too close together. I had to use a junfac for input, this let me keep my MIP for the front end.

I currently have this in my class 3 scaler with a 3300kv pro4 on 3s, RB2s and 4ws so we will see how it holds up to punishment.
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #11

ordering stuff from china isn't all bad as long as you don't mind waiting a month to get your item.i don't own any gcm stuff or anything fancy like that but I gotta think that tcase would hold up better then say,a creeper trans
northsydryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Some of their parts look just like RC4WD parts too. They could be their supplier
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

looks like GCM but there screws on the housing sticks out instead of being flush
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsydryd View Post
ordering stuff from china isn't all bad
Yes Virginia, it IS all bad!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Interesting on how they spend more time/page length showing "how to rate them" than giving material specs on the part they're selling.

I have no experiance with this part or vendor.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Support the people that spend the time and money to develop the products not the ones copying them.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

looks neat, if it is RC4WD then i would definitely give it a try.
Pgambardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I looked at some of thier other items and it apears they are Topcad parts, Asiatees sells this stuff under the D90 heading. That being said, you can come to you own conclusions in quality.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Just out of curiousity I picked up one of these in the classifieds.

I wanted to see how well it held up and to compare it to the real deal GCM t-case.

Seems like they copied the overall design/dimensions. The internals are where theres a difference.

The GCM uses a 2-piece shaft/gear design. You put the pinion gear on the shaft, tighten the set screw and done. My previous experience with this design was I needed to ensure I lock tight the set screw and let it settle otherwise it'll eventually get loose and sloppy. Once lock tighted it was no issue.

The ebay tcase uses 1-piece shaft/gear. They say its hardened....who knows. At least I won't have to worry about slop/lock tight.

They use the same bearings, but the internal spacing is different. Also I wanted to see if I could swap internals but you cannot. The Ebay gears are too small to form gear mesh in the GCM case and obviously the GCM gears are too big to work in the Ebay case.

One nice thing about the Ebay version is they include this mounting plate to mount the tcase to a SCX10 skid. Its machined, drilled and tapped and easy to install.

Here are the pictures. I'm going to be putting the ebay case to the test by running it in my ultra4 with roc412 3100kv on 3s. I'll let you all know how it stands up to that or if this is truly for a smaller class 1-2 brushed application.

Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The GCM aluminium case have a step on their contact face which will help in keeping the axis of the two shafts parallel to each other even under load. And parallel shafts will keep the gear tooth profile to mesh properly and not induce any wear due to misalignment. Apart from the alignment issue the interlocking case will also help keep water out. I do not see any of these advantages in the chinese product.

wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Ebay transfer case?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can anyone ID this transfer case? brianw General Scale Talk 6 08-11-2012 04:26 PM
1:18 transfer case? the_ghetto_rig General Scale Talk 1 12-25-2009 02:14 PM
GIVEAWAY-Cold Case, CRT 1.5 Transfer Case Crawln Coles Scale Accessories 215 02-02-2009 03:31 PM