Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scale off-road "park"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Default Scale off-road "park"

I know this is not 100% rc related, but it is scale related. I want to build my 28 month old son an off-road park for his Hot Wheels monster jam trucks. He can't go anywhere without them and even sleeps with them. Id like to make something about 3'x3' to go in his room. Something with some jumps, gullys, hill climbs (he loves rock bouncers), etc for him to play on. I thought about using the great stuff foam to build up the rough shape and would then sand all the detail in and then finally paint for realism. Everything on this though will have to be relatively safe to be around and I can't go too crazy with detail in case of choking hazard. I know this is a stretch to be on this forum, but I figured it was worth a shot. Anyone have ideas on materials I could use?
PyratM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scale off-road "park"

Look at using crumpled up newspapers and using these sheets that are covered in plaster of paris. You can also use with it chopped paper that has plaster of paris in it. I used these materials when I made my model railroad. It's very strong, yet lightweight. You can use earth colored paints and add model trees and other details. The plaster stuff you can find at Michael's crafts. Besides building up hills and things with the newspaper, you can also incorporate foam insulation boards. They can be glued together with hot glue or construction adhesive and then shaped with knives, saws...anything you can think of. You can use thinned wood glue to glue dirt/gravel down to it. Check out some model railroad construction techniques online for some cool ideas.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Here take a look Plaster, Hardshell and Glueshell -ModelTrainGuide.com
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Awesome! Thanks
PyratM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yeah man. Sometimes when you look at other hobbies for stuff, you find cool ideas.

Scale off-road "park" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WARCRC "Scale" Team Trail Run (11/9/13) @ The "Slab" (Fall City, Wa-USA) justinart24 Competitions 0 11-05-2013 09:44 PM
2013 WARCRC "Scale" Comp#11 (11/3/13) @ Auburn Game Park justinart24 Washington 3 11-03-2013 08:59 PM
2013 WARCRC "Scale" Comp#7 (7/7/13) @ FS Road 9030 justinart24 Washington 0 06-29-2013 02:49 PM