Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "Work"shop build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default "Work"shop build

As the name implies this is my "work" workshop, and well to be honest my only workshop, not like I have one as cool at my house or something crazy. But that would be cool. But im at work 6 days a week, 49 hours a wack, so it works out well to have everything there.

Here was the start:

Was a very basic setup that allowed a nice spot to sit and get stuff done while being able to overlook what was going on, monitor system of the lot and the showroom, a phone to answer calls and computer to look up customers accounts. It pretty much seemed like all I needed at the time, and worked out great.

well then projects started accumulating and the need for more space, and I really wanted to get some more tools and put together a full blown workshop.

Well ideas started flowing, and things started to take shape.

So its ice cold here in Colorado and the need for a heated and vented paint booth was due. Well I had the space (inside a retired 1970's paint booth just used as storage, separate building from the above shop) and had all this free wood laying around and a door from another project so I started to frame it out. Bonus! There was already electrical and lighting as well as multiple spots to hang parts for painting and of coarse a big furnace that heats the back shop.

Used some black/white plastic I had laying around and stapled up some walls.

There was a perfect hole in the wall that gave me a great idea for an exhaust to suck the over spay off what I was shooting and out the booth, ding... ding... ding...box fan, the only thing I had to buy for the booth under $20. The temp gauge was something that was also laying around, its a must to have it between 65 and 95 to shoot!

So far its been working out good, painted quite a few things, had some buddy's use it too, was a great little project.

More to come!
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Work"shop build

Sweet! Sounds like a dream-job. Drill-press and painting booth; what else do you need?
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoturd View Post
Sweet! Sounds like a dream-job. Drill-press and painting booth; what else do you need?
Thanks man. Its a good job. Can never have enough tools!

Ok so me an a buddy, russ, took some more free wood from the pile and built a couple benches with what I had, the sizes are odd but it worked out well for the space. Simple design with lots of storage space and some much needed work space. Benches are 40 inches tall. Only thing I had to buy for the benches was the screws $14.

Picked up this lightly used Dewalt metal chop saw off ebay for $75 + shipping, was a great buy and a must for the metal worked planned. The drill press was something I picked up off craigslist a while back for $100 and added a harbor freight mill to it for $50.

More to come!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Alright, got most everything organized and moved into the shop. Put in a flat screen and xbox so I can game and watch movies/tv while im wrenchin. laptop for searching the web, listening to music, programing electronics. Put in a shelf for all my aerosols and chems, and another shelf for my trucks.

Tool box for all my hand tools, hardware and misc. rc supplies. Mounted a vice for my bender. Put a few fire extinguishers in, just in case! Private bathroom always a bonus.

Its coming together nicely, more to come!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I really need to work on lighting and pulling some power in
but here is a nice selection of handtools ive been gathering.

bender from boltontools.com

dies 1inch, 1/2, 1/4, 3/16 and angles

grinders

This little 1 1/2inch grinder is the shit!

sheet metal benders

got some bit sets and a work light for my bench press. Im rocking a wire wheel for cleaning steel at the moment.

air compressor to blow stuff off.

My mig, best $300 I've spent. I love this unit!

welding table
Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

first project: welded up some sliders, tube fenders and bumper for a buddy, all one piece, bolts to his GCM chassis.

second project: added a winch and fairlead to matzillas new production chassis for another buddy.

and spare tire wing-nut

I added sliders and a rear stinger too
http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/Aa...8d973.jpg.html

filled the wholes on these chassis rails

playing with my bender and some .035 tube, no crimping. welds amazing.

Last edited by WAFFLE; 06-26-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #7

Looks like a great work shop! I wish I had somewhere to setup a work shop. I moved in August and now have no garage or basement to setup a a work shop. It really limits what I can do.

I was surprised to see you were able to get a quality MIG welder for $300 bucks. Where did you pick it up?
Reqlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

ok, I have to ask.....

WHERE THE HECK DO YOU WORK THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BUILD THAT AND SPEND TIME IT IN?????

Clearly, NOT Waffle House!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
www.ottsix.com

Ditto!
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
What could go wrong?

Awesome!

Wish I had that much space!

Ditto with the others; where do you work that lets you do this?
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
ok, I have to ask.....

WHERE THE HECK DO YOU WORK THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BUILD THAT AND SPEND TIME IT IN?????

Clearly, NOT Waffle House!
I manage a small car dealership. There are plenty of slow times I can go mess around back in the shop, But I spend plenty of nights after work playing toy trucks into the wee hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reqlis View Post
Looks like a great work shop! I wish I had somewhere to setup a work shop. I moved in August and now have no garage or basement to setup a a work shop. It really limits what I can do.

I was surprised to see you were able to get a quality MIG welder for $300 bucks. Where did you pick it up?
$300 shipped, comes with wire and gas regulator:
Eastwood MIG135 MIG Welder 110VAC 135 Amp Output Welding | eBay

I did a bunch of research on the Eastwood mig before making the purchase, It had tons of great reviews, not only from individuals but well know people in the auto industry, and It had a 3 year warranty. Eastwood says that they did all the R&D in house, even though its identical in every way to a Lincoln sp135 plus. I looked at newer 110v Lincolns and Hobarts with all the new technology but they were 2 and 3 times more money with tapped voltage (5 or so heat settings), The eastwood has variable voltage and has infinite adjustability so you can really dial it in to do small stuff like RC work. Sure there are higher dollar machines with easier start up, more stable arc, smoother weld pool, ect but you really don't need all the bells and whistles for RC work and small jobs with a 110 machine, I'll save that for when I buy a 220v to build my 1:1. This welder is very smooth, welds sheet metal like a champ, I have no problem welding 3mm nuts on for body panels, welding thin tube or thicker 3/16 rod.

$100 shipped for a bottle $35 to exchange/fill it locally:
Gas Bottle - Refurbished, Metal Working, Welder Supplies, Welding Accessories | USAWeld.com

get a hood and some glove and build some chassis'. At first I was trying to be as cheap as possible and was welding on the floor and using what I had, but then felt the need to get a welding table and some tools to make the job easier like a chop saw, sheet metal shears, grinders, benders, jigs, ect. It becomes an addiction, its just so fun making things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll11 View Post
Awesome!

Wish I had that much space!

Ditto with the others; where do you work that lets you do this?
Thanks!

I'm really fortunate to have this space.

Thanks for the comments fellas!

Last edited by WAFFLE; 01-08-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Restoring the YJ

Couple pictures of the ol' turd

Got some motivation and started tearing it down.

pulled the hinges to have them painted with the windshield frame. poped some new speakers in while I had the dash apart.

Going to cut 4.5" holes for the poison spyder flush mount tail lights

Did a custom shackle reversal

Got the fenders and un-rusted windshield frame painted

I've got parts flowing in... shock towers will be cool!

Dropped the t-case out this weekend for a advanced adapters slip yoke eliminator

Tons more to come...

Last edited by WAFFLE; 06-26-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Got a sweet KTM Duke

parts in route, coming from italy, france, and uk.

My buddy and I bought the Dukes the same day off craigslist, both under 6000 miles, mine was $2800 its a 2002 his was $2500 its a 2001, there minty!
Ive been loading up on tools. I got a full set of craftmans ratcheting wrenches too

Last edited by WAFFLE; 06-26-2014 at 06:33 AM.

"Work"shop build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Video build & shop scenes. Spidernad Axial SCX-10 18 12-03-2017 02:29 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" Video build & shop scenes. Spidernad 1.5 Scale Rigs 10 01-03-2013 09:15 AM
*** MSD " UTE CHASSIS " Jeep JK Shop Truck Build slobin3d 1.9 Scale Rigs 92 06-15-2009 12:36 PM
Lets see your "Work Shop/Room" ColquittCustom405 Chit Chat 118 12-07-2008 06:18 PM