Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Unique Project - Need Help and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #21

Default Re: Unique Project - Need Help and Advice

Yeah, that is kinda of the direction I am thinking of going. For comparison purposes, what size tires does the mad torque come with stock? Or does 1/8th scale "generally" mean 2.2" tires? I looked but didn't seen anything definite. I saw something that said 2.8 but that didn't seem right?? Thanks.

Last edited by pura vida; 12-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.
pura vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #22

Saw some vids of the bizzard running around in snow that looked pretty impressive. I would think it would work really well for my application but I didn't see anything about how it would do in mud. I don't need anything really fast, in fact I think speed would do a lot more harm than good, and hence the reason I gravitated towards the crawlers. Need to find a forum/thread with some blizzard users to see how they deal with mud or what it takes to get them to deal with mud. The only only issue I see with the blizzard would be it seems a little small?? But maybe not.

PV
Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pura vida View Post
Saw some vids of the bizzard running around in snow that looked pretty impressive. I would think it would work really well for my application but I didn't see anything about how it would do in mud. I don't need anything really fast, in fact I think speed would do a lot more harm than good, and hence the reason I gravitated towards the crawlers. Need to find a forum/thread with some blizzard users to see how they deal with mud or what it takes to get them to deal with mud. The only only issue I see with the blizzard would be it seems a little small?? But maybe not.

PV
i had a nitro blizzard and it did work well in the snow. it wasn't a large vehicle so you would need to think about what the added weight would do to its ability to slide over the surface. my other concern would be the mud sticking to the tracks and creating suction, holding it down. with snow the tracks were pretty much self-cleaning as it moved along. sounds like you need someone to run their blizzard through mud and report out.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #24

So something else to consider is durability. This will be used for work, in the mud, for 2-4 hours twice a year. Obviously if I go with a "cheap" rig, such as the Mad Torque, breaking parts every 30 minutes will defeat the purpose. The area to fairly flat and all mud and we only need to collected data on a 25 foot grid so it will be traveling is mostly straight lines back and forth to the beach. What parts will I need to look at upgrading? My guess would be steering servo, axles, and linkages??? I've seen vids of rigs going through some pretty wet/muddy areas but how "water proof" will it be out of the box? We won't be in water and will be keeping the mud slinging to as little as possible b/c of the GPS receiver but getting muddy will be unavoidable. Thoughts?

PV
Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

You can plastidip the rig electronics and maybe build a plexi box for the gps receiver.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I have used balloons to water proof stuff for years. Put whatever in the balloon zip tie the opening easy to clean off and if you have to get at it to fix somthing or work on it just cut it off and put another one on. There cheep and come in all sizes.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #27

Thanks for the thoughts, both great ideas.

PV
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Like I posted earlier. Dlux makes axle upgrades and the electronics are probably adequate for your purpose. I think the first thing to fail will be the servo horn and servo. You can get cheap upgrades there.
The truck is on sale for $167 1/8Th Mad Torque Rock Crawler Ready to Run (Blue)

Check out this build thread, there's lots of good info in there:
Mad torque build, cheap and easy
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #29

Sorry missed your earlier comments. Thanks for the info and especially the build thread.

PV
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #30

So looking around, the Max Stone 8 looks to be in the same ball park as the Max Torque? Found it for about $200 Similar quality and durability?? Or is one significantly better than the other. Just looking for a basis of comparison. Thanks.

PV
Old 12-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Just a thought; would this be easier to pull off if the unit was mounted on a trailer? Go the 1/8 scale but have it pull a trailer just big enough to haul the unit (using the kong tires on the trailer too)
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Trailera tend to get in to trouble when you have to back up.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #33

I had thought about a trailer setup after seeing a couple of them in videos but I think it would cause more issues that it would be worth. For example the backing up thing. I think a 1/8th with some kong tires will be the best option price wise to try it out. Now just need to decide on what rig to go with...

PV
Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

um, wouldnt an airboat kind of thing work better for the OPs purposes?

wide, flat bottom boat - propeller style propulsion.

Not to take anything away from all the interesting ideas - but to my mind this gps "project" needs an air boat - the right tool for the job and all that.
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #35

I had considered and airboat but was concerned the size I would need would be limited to a nitro motor and short run times? I'm afraid it would also be significantly more expensive? Plus I like the idea of the simplicity of an electric setup. But if I'm mistaken, I'd be all for checking into it more.

PV
Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I've got a used blizzard that is collecting dust if you want to go that route.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pura vida View Post
So looking around, the Max Stone 8 looks to be in the same ball park as the Max Torque? Found it for about $200 Similar quality and durability?? Or is one significantly better than the other. Just looking for a basis of comparison. Thanks.

PV
Don't get the Maxstone 8. The gears are weak and nobody makes upgraded gears except integy. You will break the gears at some point.
The Mad torque has parts that are interchangeable with axial and there's aftermarket upgrades available if you break it. Another option would be a used RC4WD super bully if you could find a used one in your price range.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Awesome thread! Subcribed!

I think anything with tracks would get mud and junk stuck in the tracks too much, tons of maintenance with all the moving parts. I would suggest something with huge paddles and horsepower, but thats probably going to be very expensive. I would also consider the emaxx, its pretty big, two speeds and comes with tractor like tires.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

I saw the picture of what you are trying to haul, but what is the overall size and weight? Another vehicle to consider is the traxxas summit and run jumbo kongs as others have suggested. Would a quad copter work if you had special landing gear that would make it float?
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

I believe he said it has to stay the same elevation, relative to the ground it's on. Sounds like he's trying to get a precise topographic/3D map.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unique Project - Need Help and Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New crawler project? Need advice fgt General Scale Talk 3 08-12-2013 01:00 PM
1.5 scale project need advice Canadiancoffin 1.5 Scale Rigs 3 01-03-2013 10:55 PM
Any advice for my project? tylerlong Non Crawler RC's 6 03-17-2010 02:15 PM
unique 1:1 crawlers / project ideas.... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 4 10-14-2008 09:31 PM