Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Slick Rock thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Default Vaterra Slick Rock thoughts

MRC REDEUX
The Losi Mini Crawler when it came out was a great little crawler but never really had a class and was left behind. So Vaterra being a division of Losi brought back a 1/18 scale crawler. But made some good moves, bad moves and some ugly ones.

The Good
Max articulation, metal lockers and soft suspension makes it quite capable right out of the box. Stainless Links and water proof  electronics make it pretty fun in the snow, the water give it a certain bashability. 1/10 Scaled spectrum servo is a nice touch and will help when pushing through the rough stuff. Right now it Doing some small testing reminds me of my old Ax10.

The Bad

The Identiy issues of this little rig frustrate me a bit. Part of it looks like a king of hammers style rig. So it has this scale like tube chassis with cool body panels. Yet them mount the ESC on the rear diff for crawlablity which was a bit pointless in my eye.
The plastic shocks are lame for the price it is, (250 with out a charger.)  Vaterra could have done aluminum threaded shocks to give it some extra flair.
The 6 cell battery box is mounted very high, again making a axle mounted esc pointless.

The Ugly
My stage one of modifications will take away the Comp looks and  give it more of the rock racer look. Take away the lame decals and  primer gray paint.

Check out this wires.

Step one:
Take off the body panels:

Step two: figure out the wire tuck

Step three:
Re paint and put it together

View one:

No wires no esc

New look

Flex

rear view

Last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by weapon_x; 12-15-2013 at 08:31 PM.
weapon_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

Since I finished so late last night. I decided to update with some new shots in daylight.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Vaterra Slick Rock thoughts

Looks like a lot of fun. Nice paint job on the battery box.

Crawl on,
Stollenritter
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #4

mines on its way, its my first real crawler. i have a maisto walmart one that i modded but it was time to get a real crawler. hopefully i like this one alot. any suggestions?
Travis123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #5

Can I ask you a question about the driveline? I have one of these on the way weekish out though. I want to do rear steer, i have on order the spindles ans caster blocks but I can't find any CVD's for the front end. Does the back already have CVD's or axle shaft and outdrives?

Last edited by littlemel; 12-16-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: wording issues
littlemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

looks nice & clean with the wires hidden , I was wondering about cutting some some body panels with different shapes & more coverage to change the look
I dont know how much room there is going to be to move the battery , I wonder if adding wheel weights would compensate enough to overcome the battery weight,,Ill just have wait until I get mine though , Ill wait until after new year to see if there will be a sale
BL4Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looks much better. I really agree with you on the pointless rear axle mount esc. Do they not realise that most guys that would want this rig want the weigt farther forward? I just wish they left some way to chassis mount the servo. For a scaler it sicks out like a sore thumb. But when you run a servo that big on a rig like that I guess hiding it is a little tough.

Last edited by slim_chance; 12-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis123321 View Post
mines on its way, its my first real crawler. i have a maisto walmart one that i modded but it was time to get a real crawler. hopefully i like this one alot. any suggestions?
It's a nice little rig. And depends on which way you want to go with it. If you just want to make it more capable. Some weight up front say in the wheels, a couple sticky weights on the back of the servo and off you go. Have fun with it.

If you want to go more scale looking do what I did.

That's what I love about crawlers. You can go so many ways with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemel View Post
Can I ask you a question about the driveline? I have one of these on the way weekish out though. I want to do rear steer, i have on order the spindles ans caster blocks but I can't find any CVD's for the front end. Does the back already have CVD's or axle shaft and outdrives?
They are straight. Not cvds.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL4Z3 View Post
looks nice & clean with the wires hidden , I was wondering about cutting some some body panels with different shapes & more coverage to change the look
I dont know how much room there is going to be to move the battery , I wonder if adding wheel weights would compensate enough to overcome the battery weight,,Ill just have wait until I get mine though , Ill wait until after new year to see if there will be a sale
If you switch the battery to a smaller lipo you could more stuff with the battery. Get it more forward try different locations. As it is though, it's a cube style 6 cell nimh and is pretty bulky for such a small frame. The esc is lipo compatible though.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
Looks much better. I really agree with you on the pointless rear axle mount esc. Do they not realise that most guys that would want this rig want the weigt farther forward? I just wish they left some way to chassis mount the servo. For a scaler it sicks out like a sore thumb. But when you run a servo that big on a rig like that I guess hiding it is a little tough.
Agreed. They put out a decent product. But I think it would have been easy to fix some simple issues. I have many crawlers. This guys is just for my basement while the weather sucks here in canada. And overall. Pretty happy with its size and capability.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

If I didn't already have 3 MRC's, I'd get one of these. I like the looks and have always like the size.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemel View Post
Referring to the "parts explosion" it should have the Losi dog bones inside. I thought about rear steer too. This should be easy be done by using LOSB1409, LOSB1410 (or self made steering links), LOSB1421 and a mini servo of your choice.
Assuming the Losi parts will fit ...

Greetings,
Stollenritter
Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
Referring to the "parts explosion" it should have the Losi dog bones inside. I thought about rear steer too. This should be easy be done by using LOSB1409, LOSB1410 (or self made steering links), LOSB1421 and a mini servo of your choice.
Assuming the Losi parts will fit ...

Greetings,
Stollenritter

You are quite right. Dog bone w/ out drives. So knuckles, c-hubs, steering linkage and servo horns and presto.

Sorry for the miss information.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #15

Here's a pic of the rear diff.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon_x View Post

Here's a pic of the rear diff.

So all I should need is knuckles and c-hubs and the servo mount/steering links.
littlemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hello weapon x,

I wasn`t sure about it, so I went to the manual. Thank you for confirming and for posting the pix.

@littlemel: yes, that`s what I would use. Beside a 3-channel receiver and radio.

Greetings,
Stollenritter
Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #18

Hey guys, (I'm new to the forums)
I have been wanting a crawler for a while, and family pitched in and got me this slick rock. Now I'm new to rc's that you can modify, so I was wondering what can be done to the slick rock?

I went to my local hobby shop, and the guy insisted that this rig is so amazing, but when I run it, I have to be very picky about my run. I don't want to have to be that picky. So I was wondering is there a way to give it a boost? Better articulation, maybe better clearance?

Hobby show guy did say to remove battery tray, hook up a thinner lipo, mount it to the side next to motor. And get rid of stock glued on tires.

Thoughts?

(Sorry to ask, but I'm very interested in a 1/10 crawler. Any suggestions? I think one will fit my needs more that the slick rock. Wish I could find the venom creeper, or Diablo.)
Thanks for input in advanced. This site is awesome!!
Floppy_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Geez, for 250$ you don't even get a straight rear axle shaft?!?!

I too like what this little rig is about but, once again, Horizon has pushed out another overpriced underdeveloped product!

Either bring the product quality up to the price tag or price it around 150-175$...that's where it should be.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #20

Question,
(I have never moded or upgraded an rc) would this rig run better with wheel spacers, and maybe longer links and shocks? Like a 1/10 suspension, but the 1/18 tube chassis?

Sorry for the newbie type question. But never know till ya ask.
Floppy_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra Slick Rock thoughts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Slick Rock BL4Z3 General Crawlers 21 06-18-2014 08:14 PM
sedonas on slick rock XJkid93 Tires and Wheels 8 06-12-2012 12:48 AM
My Comp crawler on a slick rock Slowbro Videos! 5 01-03-2011 01:38 PM
Moab camping at Slick rock campground rockwerks RC Rock Crawling Worlds 15 08-11-2006 12:27 AM
Talk about slick rock hacked_hummer Chit Chat 0 09-16-2005 03:45 PM