Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Splined Cs without splined housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Splined Cs without splined housings

Specifically considering the XR/Wraith chubs on an AX10 housing.

Thinking about hogging out the inner c's, and epoxy/screwing them to the housings. Other than not being able to adjust them, or replace just the c, is there a downside? I can turn the tubes, and drill out the c's, just havent seen anyone do it.

Been staring at these parts lately and coonsidering building an entire housing from scratch even, all steel so I can weld to is just because......
spidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Splined Cs without splined housings

You're over thinking it. The c hubs are splined but the ax housing has a rib on top and bottom that happens to line up with the splines so you simply clock the c's where you want them and screw/epoxy etc them on.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm scrapping the end of the ax10 housing in favour of tubes that replace the bearing end, similar to whats available. But if thats all that anyones doing, it answers my question, because it will be more surface are with a smooth surface, than the 2 little nibs from the plastic housing.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
Specifically considering the XR/Wraith chubs on an AX10 housing.

Thinking about hogging out the inner c's, and epoxy/screwing them to the housings. Other than not being able to adjust them, or replace just the c, is there a downside? I can turn the tubes, and drill out the c's, just havent seen anyone do it.

Been staring at these parts lately and coonsidering building an entire housing from scratch even, all steel so I can weld to is just because......
I just did that to my scx10 housings. You don't have to hog out the C's...just a very little dremel work with the sanding drum. The C's will fit tight. Make sure the caster angle is correct then measure and mark the C's so you can drill holes where the holes in the housing are. Then you can simply use two screws on each C just like the originals. No epoxy needed.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm building my own tubes, so I figured it would be stronger if they where the same as the major diameter of the splines, so the splines can wear and get sloppy.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I did this mod last year on my YJ. No beef tubes and ended up using Vanquish XR/Wraith Chubs and Wraith High steer knuckles. Its easier than you think really.
With your axle stripped down to the bare case I just carefully sanded down the Chub mounting tabs into a v shape, so when you put the halves back together you get a vv shape...if you've removed just enough material then the XR Chub will slide right on and still be tight. Clock them and if your lucky you can still use the old chub screw holes. I've been running this setup for a year and even lasted through a G6 without issue. The hardest part was cutting down and grinding the XR universals to the proper length and still fit snugly into the locker.

Heres a pic with the plastic chubs and VP Wraith knuckles.

DV8ion is offline   Reply With Quote

Splined Cs without splined housings - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW CreationFab XR-10 width Splined Delrin tubes for Vanquish Currie housings! Chris_The_Battery_Man Axles, Trannys, T-case 9 08-09-2015 07:32 AM
!*!NEW!*! CreationFab ULTRA Wide Splined Tubes Chris_The_Battery_Man General Crawlers 32 11-03-2013 12:52 PM
Splined plastic driveshafts don't slide Holdencars Axial SCX-10 10 01-18-2013 04:12 AM