Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cleaning/Check List after water runs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Question Cleaning/Check List after water runs?

Hey yall. Just wondering what everyone cleans or checks after running their rig through water for extended periods of time? I just recently "water proofed" my electronics and have done some bayou bashing lately. I always give my rig a good cleaning (externally) after the runs, however should I be breaking down axles, gear box, drive shafts, wheel hubs, etc and what should I be looking for?

Also are there any other measures I should take as far as "water proofing" the rig? Currently I have Plasti Dipped the servo, and applied Liquid electrical Tape to the ESC (actual board) and RX (actual board) and around the seams of the RX housing, not the RX holder that is attached to the frame...make sense? Thanks.
CypressCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Cleaning/Check List after water runs?

What I would normally do is clean the whole truck over then I check all the bearrings in the axles after a extreme run, but keep in mind if its just puddles and you marine greased the axles you should be fine on that. As far as electronics go, a good suggestion is to double ballon your esc and receiver. Yes even if there plasti-diped it adds extra protection. ALSO you should look to see if water got into your axle, and if you get scratches on the frame it may rust but Im talking about a scx10. But anyways as long as you check it you'll be fine. But honnestly you don't have to break the whole truck down everytime, good luck man - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I do A LOT of mud and water running with my SCX10. I usually only break down my axles/transmission once a month at best. Before running heavy I usually marine grease up my outside bearings. When I do go for a full break down everything usually looks great and require very little cleaning.

Depending on the mud I am going through and the can I am running I will break down and rebuild my motor if it looks like it has gotten nasty.

After I am done for the day I will usually hose down the whole rig and hit it with the air compressor the dry it off good before putting it away.

If running a dig or remote lockers I will hit the rods up with some grease and slide them in and out with the control to feed a little inside and make sure everything is sliding smoothly.

Cheers,
Dick

Mrdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies yall. Guess i should have gave yall some background info. I have a stock Deadbolt and Im pretty much running it in water up to the top of the tires, pretty frequently when at the bayou. I usually run it for about an hour or so when Im at ir and id say at least 50% of the time its in the water. Ill get some marine grease and apply some to the axles this weekend. Also is there a "how to" on tearing my motor down and cleaning it? Once again thanks.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've cleaned closed end bell brushed motors a couple of different ways.

First is getting the electronic spray cleaner and spray spray spray until it is clean then re oil the bushings.

Other way is sticking the motor in a cup of water hooking it up to a D cell and run it for a minute or so under water then blowing it out with compressed air and re-oiling the bushings. Just like the break in procedure.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 01-08-2014 at 05:36 PM.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

Is there a specific oil for the bushings?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressCrawler View Post
Is there a specific oil for the bushings?
I've always used 3in1 oil mainly because that's what I always have around the house. Not sure if it is the best but it works and I know a lot of people who use the same thing. Im surr there are some RC specific stuff but i have never bothered. You don't need a lot just a drop on the ends where the shaft goes through the bushing. I put on a drop of oil then spin the heck out of the shaft working the oil in then clean off any excess. Flip over and to the other side.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #8

I wait then WD-40 the motor lightly...ever 10 battery packs I break my rig down to clean it.
Team_Bendy#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I personally wouldn't use WD40 on my motor. It leaves behind a slight oily residue which will attract dust. Dust and oil is not what you want on your brushes or commutator. That's the reason when you oil a brushed motor you just put a tiny drop of oil on the bushings.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I drive my SCX10 through water and mud all the time. Rather than maintain, I prefer to build and prepare for it.

Not my best video but:

I have, on several occasions, driven it totally submerged and no issues to date.

Water building ...
-Rubber shielded bearings on anything not sealed or loaded with grease. Even so, you will eventually have to replace them but this will prolong the life a good bit.

-Pack the axles with 1:1 grease. I mean I overfill it and wipe off the extra after assembly. Marine grease? Even better.

-Get your electronics setup then seal them in a project box from Radio Shack with liquid electrical tape or silicone RTV. I suggest the liquid elec tape if you ever want to disassemble. I can cut off the liquid tape on mine to open the box if need be but once setup it is seldom.

Build thread:
Locked Up's SCX10 - Trail Ready H2

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #11

Thanks Locked Up. Ill have to look at this when I get home, big brother here at work wont let me see the video or attachments.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I play with one of my SCX's about 50% of the time submerged partially or mostly.

The holes I drilled in the axle cases for setting up the Felsenfest Spools make for a good spot to inject grease with a needle fitting on a grease gun. After every water run I'll SLOWLY inject grease until all the water/contaminated grease/crud comes out the pinion and outer axle bearings. Kinda scary how much grease can work out and let water work in during a couple hours of play time.

Unfortunately, it is literally Impossible to completely seal the axle housings due to the tolerances of the shafts/housings so all I can do is try to keep fresh grease in there.

I try to run the Avid hybrid sealed/shieled bearings and put the seal-side out, so that they are easily "packed" with grease from the inside out.

I drilled a hole in the side of the trans case, where it seemed thickest between the two top gears, for a 3mm setscrew for the needle fitting.

Note: the grease does add drag. I consider this my drag brake assist and I run low-geared, low-powered brushed motors so top speed isn't a concern.

Theres not much you can do for the closed endbell motor, other than occasionally flushing it with plastic-safe electronics cleaner, and keeping a $16 spare on hand. I'll go through one every month or so.

3-in-1 oil is what I've been using for years for motor bushings/bearings.

Every few hours of use it's a good idea to torque check (not the same as "tighten) all the fasteners on the truck, especially the wheel nuts, kingpin bolts, driveshaft pins, motor plate bolts, and C-hub bolts as they see a ton of stress during use.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleaning/Check List after water runs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drilling Holes In Wheels for Water Runs? alexchen86 Newbie General 14 01-01-2010 12:56 AM
Computer check list? run2jeepn Chit Chat 14 01-19-2006 08:49 AM