Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Climbing vs Crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Climbing vs Crawling?

I'm a big fan of the good old ax10. Slap some hd gears in it with some other mods and they will impress you. If you go scaler I'd say wraith or scx10
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Even with HD drive in the front?
My rear worm drive ran warm until I replaced the front drive to get some overdrive on the front shaft.
Now the temps are fairly even between the front and rear axles.
My opinion is solely based on how much abuse the worm gear can handle. It was a wear item already but the more often you climb the more the rear worm does most of the work thus wearing out even faster.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
I'm a big fan of the good old ax10. Slap some hd gears in it with some other mods and they will impress you. If you go scaler I'd say wraith or scx10
Speaking of the good "old" AX10, a guy I work with has an original AX10 Scorpion with upgraded parts (I don't have a list at this time), a couple of bodies and all the electronics (which I need). I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's all in working order. He wants $350. I know this is a VERY basic description. But lets say that he is even close to telling the truth, is that a fair price?
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

If the electronics are all good and modern,there are no broken parts,the bodies are in good condition then yes the price is ok. If you can get pics or a parts list I can say more definitively. Is the price obo?
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #25
RCC Addict

I feel the need to chime in..lol just to start I should mention that I also am in this for only fun and own most of the rigs mentioned. As of now I would say best bang for the buck for me is the losi night crawler. It just works and if you dont mind going slow it will do most everything with very few mods. Im not saying its the best for everyone but I can hand it off to anyone and it works good. Dont over power it and keep the axles greased. That being said the ax-10 is a great rig as well with few mods but when climbing steep inclines you will get some twist and unless you set it up correct you will be 3 wheeling most climbs. Next the scx is one of my favorite rigs. Fun to drive and not to capable so it keeps things fun and challenging. My wrekluse is setup with ar-60 axles, 4wheel steering, and moded abit. Its heavy and was my go to rig for most outings for along time just because its really cool looking to me and I lkke to look good in the dirt. Personally not a big fan of ar-60s because when you put the power to them they spin bearings fast. My newest rig is my trail finder 2... just a box of fun, a great build and as it is stock very challenging to drive. If I or anyone else told you to buy something that works for us it could be totally wrong fot you. I say you pick up something that catchs your eye and go for it. There are good things and bad about every rig but you can tweak most rigs to fit your driving. Hope this helps.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
If the electronics are all good and modern,there are no broken parts,the bodies are in good condition then yes the price is ok. If you can get pics or a parts list I can say more definitively. Is the price obo?
He's going to bring it to work for me to see later this week. Here is a partial list of parts he said that he has. He's firm on the price:

Airtronics MT-4
Hitech HS-7954 Servo
Integy Servo Horn
Tekin Hotwire Interface
Tekin FX-R ESC & 45T Motor Combo
Venom 11.1 Lipo
Castle BEC
SWX Chassis Kit
Proline Rock Sliders
Integy Drive Shafts
13T Pinion
C Hubs & Hub Covers

He has a rear steering kit that has not been installed and there's no servo for it. I don't think I care about that anyway. More than I want to learn just for fun crawling.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

That is good deal if everything works well. He put good parts on it. The only thing that you might want to replace is the it is the integy driveshafts. People here hate integy because there stuff is " weak". I never risked it with integy parts.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #28

I made mine from scratch. That's the old school method. In my opinion as a tinkerer, more enjoyable, seeing "what can I find to make this work?" I have wheely king axles which are just barely narrower than the wraith axles, put an old traxxas transmission on a gatekeeper chassis, solid aluminum links from a TLT so the wheel base is stretched to 12.5 and then dropped a modified ax10 tube frame over it all. I have all kinds of parts on this thing. It looks semi scale and crawls the hell out if any of my other rigs. It's one if favorite rigs.
OregonCrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
That 2.2 in the first vid made it look too easy. Try that stuff with a 1.9 scaler. Super fun and challenging.

It's amazing. Few of car can achieve it like this. Damn cool
Edgarfierros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I gotta add that I didn't complete this climb. I got just shy of cresting the top about 5 times. Couldn't find the sweet spot to get me over. This is my "holy grail" for 2014. Lol.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Back on topic......
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Your info says your in San DIego. That area has a pretty decent set of guys and gals. Find a local comp, and go watch. They run scalers after and see what people are running in your area. The most important thing should be availability of replacement parts, IMO. As a new person nothing drives them away more than breaking what is a $8 part and having to wait a week and pay $6 in shipping to get it. If your local hobby stores carry Axial parts, then that really should seal the deal. I always liked Discount Hobby Warehouse, they used to have a lot of crawler parts, but I have not been there in a while.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
He's going to bring it to work for me to see later this week. Here is a partial list of parts he said that he has. He's firm on the price:

Airtronics MT-4
Hitech HS-7954 Servo
Integy Servo Horn
Tekin Hotwire Interface
Venom 11.1 Lipo
Castle BEC
SWX Chassis Kit
Proline Rock Sliders
Integy Drive Shafts
13T Pinion
C Hubs & Hub Covers

He has a rear steering kit that has not been installed and there's no servo for it. I don't think I care about that anyway. More than I want to learn just for fun crawling.
Sounds like he has already built your RC for you...you dont want someone else' idea of a crawler/trail rig do ya?

I would say 300-350 is average for what he has but again, its already built and nothing for you to do....

Visit the local comps as mentioned before you buy. Talk to them in person and see what everyone is running and why they chose that particular rig. You may be way off the mark and they change your mind. After all, it would suck to buy a rig that no one is running and you're all alone doing your thing...quick end to your hobby days
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post

Airtronics MT-4
Hitech HS-7954 Servo
Integy Servo Horn
Tekin Hotwire Interface
Venom 11.1 Lipo
Castle BEC
SWX Chassis Kit
Proline Rock Sliders
Integy Drive Shafts
13T Pinion
C Hubs & Hub Covers

Sounds like a good rig. I would buy it given the chance. Just make sure its what you want first.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Did you get the ax10?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
Did you get the ax10?
No. It did not show nearly as well as he'd pumped it up to be. It was pretty well used up. I tried to get him to come down in price, but he held firm. I decided I could do better.

I ended up buying a slightly used and well mainted Ridgecrest with a few modest upgrades for $200 RTR. That has gotten me going for now and I can use it to learn on as I add more upgrades to it. I think it worked out best that way.

Last edited by MailManX; 01-30-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Good call on the ridgecrest. It's a better platform than the earlier ax10's simply due to the axles. Call me a fan boy but the ar60 is a damned fine axle compared to the craptastic scx/ax axles.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Good call on the ridgecrest. I have no problem with the ax10 axles I do want to slap some ar60 axles for my ax10.

Climbing vs Crawling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 In sand pit climbing & crawling along with Brushless Traxxas Slash 1/10 milestone Scale Videos! 0 04-28-2012 09:28 PM
Climbing jasong79 Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 11-20-2010 12:08 AM
Hi, i am new here and here is my wk climbing jcabane Videos! 4 03-07-2008 01:05 PM
WK climbing the Cathedral MikeSSS HPI Wheely King 8 05-22-2007 12:28 AM
Winch for climbing run2jeepn General Crawlers 1 12-16-2005 06:22 AM