Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Climbing vs Crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Climbing vs Crawling?

After walking around my property looking at specific locations that I want to do crawling, I realized that most of my boulders are huge and I'd love to own a "current" crawler that, with the right tires, weights and suspension could grip it's way up a long boulder climb like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDFBIgksAU

Granted, that was a modified AX10 in the video, one of the best. However, is it possible to easily modify something current like a Losi Night Crawler, Axial Ridgecrest or _________ (you fill in the blank) to do this?

Here's an older Losi Comp Crawler doing something similarly impressive to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDDVBW7SN0

Will a vehicle capable of climbing like this also be a good crawler? My guess is that it depends mostly on the suspension. Therefore, what I really want is something that can climb like these two videos, but also have the articulation necessary to crawl well through smaller boulders.

NOTE ON MY SPECIFIC NEEDS / WANTS:
1. I do not intend to compete.
2. This is for my own pleasure on my own property.
3. I like to tinker and build, so I don't mind buying something stock, or used, and making it do what I want.
4. I don't think I want to get into MOA, so that could limit my used choices.
5. I'd like to keep this within a $300, maybe $400 max for the right rig.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Climbing vs Crawling?

Anything with AR60 axles. Ridgecrest, wraith, ax10 deadbolt etc. Slam it, underdrive the rear or overdrive the front of course you could do both but since you don't intend on competing the huge offset isn't needed. Grab the sticky tires of your choice, move the battery to the front and have fun.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! Awesome info! Being new to crawling, I was not aware of the versatility and wide usage of the AR60 axles. I do remember reading in the past about under/over driving axles, but I'd forgotten. I'm glad that you reminded me. I think a slight overdrive on the front might be just right for me. However, experimentation will be part of the fun. Thanks again for answering!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you're looking for capability right out the box you might try a LNC. I have had one for year late you can find used for $150- 250. I have about 350 into mine absolutely love it. the only issue is it is incredibly slow. Biggest thing that will bring a losi to life is goin to Lipo 2 s or3s. stock electronics are pretty good though. No shock leaks, and stock links don't bend. Also put overdrive gears up front and you'll notice a huge difference. Also if get a ridgecrest you'll need to regear the the trans immediately or you'll burn through motors like no tomorrow as it is geared way too high. The option I can recommend is an ax 10 scorpion which you can pick for a steal. I just got a built one with dig, sensored bl, battery mounted to front axle, hd gears, and aluminum links and other electronics for $250. Ps check eBay.

Last edited by Dezertdirt; 01-18-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Also forgot to mention if want something semi scale check out a gmade r1 they are very capable once do the right mods to them i had about $400 into mine I and used it as sporty until I got my losi and it placed reasonably in those comps. Now i use it just for fun and now has 4ws and I'm working on a dig install. Stock tires are cr** so replace them on any rig you get. Good luck finding a crawler. Hope my two posts help.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

That 2.2 in the first vid made it look too easy. Try that stuff with a 1.9 scaler. Super fun and challenging.

808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That looks bloody AWESOME!! Thanks for posting the pic.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

I can speak from experience, as I love the long steep climbs myself and a Losi is not what you want. You'll kill the rear worm gear.

Really a MOA is best for this stuff, but an Axial with a HD rear gear is a better option over a Losi.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

+1 to doing it with a scaler - much more fun IMO - and looks awesome doing it!
I would also throw my 2c into the ring with going Axial over a losi.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Scale rigs are sweet but there are places most of them just can not go. My rigs can do everything a scaler can and much, much more without losing too much of their scalesque looks.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
That 2.2 in the first vid made it look too easy. Try that stuff with a 1.9 scaler. Super fun and challenging.

I'd agree with this idea. You're doing this for fun and you're a hands on kind of guy...scale is the way to go. If you get a comp crawler, as soon as you conquer your backyard boulders (and it won't take long), you're going to get bored.

If you go scale, figuring out those boulders is going to be your lifes work...if it's doable, you're going to have to work at, and that's where the fun is. And when you're not driving the boulders, you can do scale runs around your property.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So it's decided then. I will buy a..., oh hell, I have no idea what to buy! Some say Losi, some say Axial. Some say 1.9, some say 2.2. Now I want ALL of them. My wife might leave me. Hmmm, that gives me an idea... Wait, did I say that out loud? I'm sorry, honey, I didn't mean it!!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Get a Rubicon G6, take white trash's advise and start there with the scale climbing. Sounds fun, think ill break out the wallet for a new project!!

Last edited by redsawacs; 01-22-2014 at 08:38 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Maybe I could buy an assortment of individual new and used parts and build an AxiLosiCrawlerWraithial from scratch. It could be a shaft-driven MOA with 1.9's on the front and 2.2's on the rear. It would be a non-scale beast that could scale most anything.

But seriously, I was in a Hobby People store last week in Los Angeles and darn near bought an Axial AX90034 SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 EP Kit that was on sale. The only reason I held off was that I don't own any electronics yet, so I'd have to pony up for transmitter, receiver, ESC, motor, servo, etc. It was going to end up costing me $700. I decided it wasn't the right move for a first vehicle. I will probably buy one or two used vehicles and get to know them by working on them and learning from the experience.

Last edited by MailManX; 01-19-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Check online hobby people mark up the price a lot. If you're thinking about goin scale you can get an scx10 dingo kit for about $250 sometimes less. Check amain hobbies, tower hobbies, ckrc, rpp hobbies, eBay, craigslist . I probably shouldn't have mentioned all those names and I have a feeling I'm goin to get sensored but I'm just trying to help.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
I will probably buy one or two used vehicles and get to know them by working on them and learning from the experience.

That is a sound decision. Start with whatever strikes your fancy and build it from there. Not one out of my 40 or so rigs I've had has been anything but second hand and I doubt that will ever change. Only suckers buy new, I'll let someone else pay sticker price, add some decent aftermarket parts then sell it for less than it retailed for new.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Anything with AR60 axles. Ridgecrest, wraith, ax10 deadbolt etc. Slam it, underdrive the rear or overdrive the front of course you could do both but since you don't intend on competing the huge offset isn't needed. Grab the sticky tires of your choice, move the battery to the front and have fun.
If you were to underdrive,rear/overdrive,front what does that do for you as opposed to doing one or the other?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
tre329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre329 View Post
If you were to underdrive,rear/overdrive,front what does that do for you as opposed to doing one or the other?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Doing one or the other has basically the same effect. The front will pull a bit more than the rear. If you do both OD/UD at the same time the effect is doubled.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
Check online hobby people mark up the price a lot. If you're thinking about goin scale you can get an scx10 dingo kit for about $250 sometimes less. Check amain hobbies, tower hobbies, ****, rpp hobbies, eBay, craigslist . I probably shouldn't have mentioned all those names and I have a feeling I'm goin to get sensored but I'm just trying to help.
I appreciate the help and hope you don't get sensored. For what it's worth, I have thought of and looked at all of those over and over, so no need for the mods to worry on my behalf.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
... a Losi is not what you want. You'll kill the rear worm gear. ...
Even with HD drive in the front?
My rear worm drive ran warm until I replaced the front drive to get some overdrive on the front shaft.
Now the temps are fairly even between the front and rear axles.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote

Climbing vs Crawling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 In sand pit climbing & crawling along with Brushless Traxxas Slash 1/10 milestone Scale Videos! 0 04-28-2012 09:28 PM
Climbing jasong79 Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 11-20-2010 12:08 AM
Hi, i am new here and here is my wk climbing jcabane Videos! 4 03-07-2008 01:05 PM
WK climbing the Cathedral MikeSSS HPI Wheely King 8 05-22-2007 12:28 AM
Winch for climbing run2jeepn General Crawlers 1 12-16-2005 06:22 AM