Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Drive shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Drive shafts

I'm extending my Honcho wheelbase out to around 13" or maybe slightly under. My MIP shaft is too short, of course I completely overlooked that and it wasn't until my links were all made to perfect length upper and lower did I find that out..

I don't think the MIP extended Wraith end would help me. I took a shaft off my wraith to compare and it's just too little engagement of the male/female ends to not worry about it.

I want to stay with steel. Don't trust plastic on this truck. Not with handwound motor on 3s with the 1.9 tsl-sx XL.

I'm looking at the RC4wd options, they make some pretty interesting drive shafts but I have no experience with them. They sure are pricy.

This is the first one I'm looking at.
Mega Truck Universal Shaft "Ver 2" (125mm to 165mm) The c-clips bother me though. I'd be worried about rocks popping them off. Too bad, they are the perfect length. I need an operating range between 5.50" and 6" ideally.

And then there is this one, which is really awesome. Who's had them and how do they actually work over time? My truck sees a lot of miles every summer so they would definitely see a lot of use. I'm wondering how long they last. I'm not seeing much in the way of rebuild parts on their site.
Ultra Scale Hardened Steel Driveshaft (4.92"/6.29"-125mm/160mm) 5mm They are both expensive, but would be worth it if they are well made.

Last edited by Jus; 01-21-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Drive shafts

The ultra scale shafts are awesome and are actually made by a company called Lesu. I've used them before but only on my semi trucks and a scale build. They are awesome looking and by far the most scale looking driveshaft out there, but I can't verify how they would hold up under tons of power and crawling/binding loads. They did great with trail runs and Tarmac though.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I believe that the wheel axles that MIP makes for the Traxxas Summit and E-revo share the same barrel/pin and slip-spline design as the crawler driveshafts.

Is there any chance that you could use either a male or female half of a shaft for either side of a Summit with the other half of your existing MIP?

I know that the Summit has slightly different lengths because of the diff lock collar taking up space on one side.

Be nice if you could locate just the "bone" that you need.

I'd consider going to any other driveshaft than an MIP a step down in durability.

How about pics of the extended wheelbase for our $.02. lol.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Mega Truck Universal Shaft 92-130mm I just talked to THEmicroRR and he's been using the ultra scale drive shafts on his class 3 with 2.2 tires, Tenkin ROC412 3100KV on 3s and has been running them since the RC4WD east coast scale comp and hasn't had problems yet. Another place you can look is Locked Up RC.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I didn't get back to this thread as soon as I would have liked.. I decided to set the WB at 12.5" exactly and the MIPs seem to be happy so I'll leave it at that. I still may get an extended Wraith MIP end to give the shafts more engagement, but not till I run it for a while.

I really didn't have the $$$ for new drive shafts, especially when I already had the best sitting on the table just slightly too short, so I made compromises. I don't think i would have liked it stretched out as far as I had it anyway.. It looked a little funny. It's not a hill climber or anything
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote

Drive shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creeper Drive Shafts/Stub Shafts boog1313 Venom Creeper 3 04-23-2011 09:32 AM
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM