Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Other crawlers in RS10 XT price range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Default Other crawlers in RS10 XT price range?

I was just wondering if there are any other crawlers, 1/10 scale, and under $200, a few simple mods to this rs10xt and its pretty good.
Higgins909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
In the band for now.

Default Re: Other crawlers in RS10 XT price range?

there are a lot of cheapo rigs out there , start searching instead of being spoon fed.
after you but tons of cash into the 10 , then there so so crawlers
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have a couple rs10's pretty fun and some easy mods to make them a bit better but limited by axle design to never be much more. I just bought an Exceed Maxstone 10 which is a shafty Ax10 knockoff. It seems more versatile and most AX10 upgrades will work with little to no modifications. I just started modding one this afternoon, am planning to post a build thread with pics in the general section because of no specific exceed section. $139 on amazon..
Attached Images

Last edited by mowheelin; 02-06-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
mowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

I have seen the rs10 go scale and comp crawler, for cheap.
So idk about lemonhead's post vs buying a real axial ax-10 (something like $300 new needing all electronics) vs a $156 rs10xt or a maxstone10.

Mowheelin what was the damage on shipping? and have you tested durability? strong esc/motor? hard to stall them? And im not sure what you meant my the rs10 axle design, can you open my eyes, and tell me what i'm missing?

Thanks guys,
Higgins909
Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

Forgot to say, I am interested in that picture thread, that you mentioned.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
www.ottsix.com

My first crawler was an RS10...I still have it, fun truck for the money.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I've seriously considered retiring my berg next season to try and run the 1/10 MOA exceed setup. I honestly think for not much money and a little know how, you could have a competitive rig!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I've seriously considered retiring my berg next season to try and run the 1/10 MOA exceed setup. I honestly think for not much money and a little know how, you could have a competitive rig!
I see they have a 1/5 MOA but don't see a 1/10 moa link?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

The rs10 axles have 380/390 motors on a plastic housing and plastic gears. Bigger motors can be fit with some ingenuity as well links can be designed to work with the motors that will be even more in the way since they are bigger. With more power need metal gears then hardened cross pins then......

I got to the point that with all that needed to be upgraded to run a redcat axle that the cheapest and most reliable way to go was bully axles. Start whole new rig.....

Now both my rs10's run 5000mah 2s lipos, white dot rovers, weighted front wheels, cheap metal gear servos, and not much more. Kids can run them for hours on end.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins909 View Post
Forgot to say, I am interested in that picture thread, that you mentioned.
Started but needs to be moderator approved before posting.....I'm guessing because I just haven't posted much in the past.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have put a Holmes 16t 5 pole crawlmaster pro on 3s through the Maxstone 10 and so far nothing breaking. Only 3-4 packs on that setup though.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
RCC Addict

1/10 Scale Exceed RC Mad Crawler 4WD RTR Remote Control Truck

This one! It's ugly as sin, but I think it has real potential. I already use the plastic gearbox and plastic gears in my berg, and they are excellent!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheelin View Post
The rs10 axles have 380/390 motors on a plastic housing and plastic gears. Bigger motors can be fit with some ingenuity as well links can be designed to work with the motors that will be even more in the way since they are bigger. With more power need metal gears then hardened cross pins then......

I got to the point that with all that needed to be upgraded to run a redcat axle that the cheapest and most reliable way to go was bully axles. Start whole new rig.....

Now both my rs10's run 5000mah 2s lipos, white dot rovers, weighted front wheels, cheap metal gear servos, and not much more. Kids can run them for hours on end.
are 390 motors that come with not good enough or something? and getting the hardened steel gears and Cpins is about $30 (not sure about shipping) don't know about motors, but how much power is needed?

Wow really? idk about how strong that motor is, but at 3s it must be pretty strong, people have broken the diffs and the axles stock! Another thing I wondered about the Maxstone 10, how is the wheel tow in/out? I've seen in the pictures the rears have toe in and the fronts have toe out. I also wondered about it being top heavy/high CG
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
there are a lot of cheapo rigs out there , start searching instead of being spoon fed.
Really ? The guy has 12 posts and that is how you greet him ? How are the newer folks supposed to get interested and learn if they are treated that way I have a feeling he had no idea what to search for. I know I don't and I have been doing this a long time. There is a time and place for the response you gave but IMO this instance wasn't either one of them.....

To the OP, I don't have an answer for you but hope this thread helps you find what you are looking for
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins909 View Post
are 390 motors that come with not good enough or something? and getting the hardened steel gears and Cpins is about $30 (not sure about shipping) don't know about motors, but how much power is needed?

Wow really? idk about how strong that motor is, but at 3s it must be pretty strong, people have broken the diffs and the axles stock! Another thing I wondered about the Maxstone 10, how is the wheel tow in/out? I've seen in the pictures the rears have toe in and the fronts have toe out. I also wondered about it being top heavy/high CG
These motors are ok for playing around but you will want more power soon, rear motor will stall out before the rig looses balance or traction on a steep climb. I think that is about $30 x2 axles. I just decided not to do it, nobody would sell the parts if there wasn't a market.

I think the exceeds have been around for a while now ant just like the Cats there are a few versions out there. I have the most recent and really like it so far, I have even ground down the steering stops to get more angle, really expected to grenade a joint quickly but haven't yet.

Tow? No concern. Works great, could be corrected if necessary.

Top heavy? Absolutely! Lipo on front links and electronics mounted to underside of top tray is my fix so far.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #16

I know that one MOA exceed has been around a (maybe 6 years) long time, but I don't see parts on ebay, where would "you" go to get new ones? I kinda fear parts support with exceed.

I seen someone mention that it is waterproof? but didn't see this in the description. Does the stock esc support 3s? and its got 2.2 beadlocks?

I was leaning towards the maxstone 10 first, as if I wanted to, I could put my castle creations sidewinder 3 4600kv in it (tho will gear down, so I can crawl) and liked the axles.

Did a moderator approve that post of yours yet? and you said in the General Crawlers part?

Right now its kinda like, get one now, get one later XD

Thanks, you're really helping me out here
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The 4600kv motor is way to fast for any type of low end resolution needed for crawling no matter how far you gear it down in a production set up. Now, if you are going to blast thru mud pits and what not it might just put a smile on your face.

Parts support is important in my eyes along with the aftermarket support. That is why I run axial based rigs....The local hobby shops always seem to have the parts needed to get back up and running.

You may want to consideder craigs list for used rigs OR, buy a 20.00 star to support the site and you will have access to the BST section. If it were me the later is what I would do, less chance of flakes like you seem to find on CL.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 02-07-2014 at 08:00 AM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
The 4600kv motor is way to fast for any type of low end resolution needed for crawling no matter how far you gear it down in a production set up. Now, if you are going to blast thru mud pits and what not it might just put a smile on your face.

Parts support is important in my eyes along with the aftermarket support. That is why I run axial based rigs....The local hobby shops always seem to have the parts needed to get back up and running.

You may want to consideder craigs list for used rigs OR, buy a 20.00 star to support the site and you will have access to the BST section. If it were me the later is what I would do, less chance of flakes like you seem to find on CL.

Agree agree agree. I do like the Maxstone because virtually everything can be upgraded with ax10 parts, cat cannot. I did buy a prebuilt ax10 here from a member who was building another rig and it is still the best performer I own but I don't think that bang for the buck can compete with the Maxstone. Certainly, if you like this site spend the $20 and get the classifieds opened up, I did when new then quit playing with my rigs until I bought the Maxstone now back at it again.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

I'm having a hard time getting pics to upload from my home internet connection, out in the country and to slow. This should have been with the "top heavy post"
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Another.....it wasn't upside down when it left me....not sure how to fix it either. Help?
Attached Images

Last edited by mowheelin; 02-07-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Pic upside down

Other crawlers in RS10 XT price range? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
price range? brado Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 10-19-2013 03:32 AM
RS10 TX Range iggy809 Redcat Crawlers 9 03-09-2012 12:23 PM
RS10 XT Range CrAsHmAsTeR Redcat Crawlers 10 01-25-2011 10:11 PM
RS10 Transmitter Range Radium99 Redcat Crawlers 6 07-02-2010 09:23 AM